GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across a deal on a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 and the shop is suggesting I downsize to 205/60R-16 on my 2017 Volt. Is there anything wrong with this configuration or should I stick with the stock size of 215/50R-17?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have come across a deal on a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 and the shop is suggesting I downsize to 205/60R-16 on my 2017 Volt. Is there anything wrong with this configuration or should I stick with the stock size of 215/50R-17?

Thanks in advance guys!
I don't now much about tires, but why would you make the change? Will the Volt handle/ride better? Improved EV range? Or is it that you got a good deal? I guess I'm a bit old fashion, but I think the wheel on my Volt is good enough.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Those tires would be fine. Quite a few Volts are using 16 inch steel wheels for their snow tires.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A narrower, taller-sidewall tire will do better in the snow than one that is wider and/or lower-profile.

I just put 205/65R15 Michelin Xi3s on my 2017 Volt, on a set of 15" Sonic aluminum 5-spokes last week. Tire cost was half of what it would be for the stock size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A narrower, taller-sidewall tire will do better in the snow than one that is wider and/or lower-profile.

I just put 205/65R15 Michelin Xi3s on my 2017 Volt, on a set of 15" Sonic aluminum 5-spokes last week. Tire cost was half of what it would be for the stock size.
Thank you! These are exactly the reasons why I am looking at this option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a set of Blizzak WS80 and 16 inch steel rims (205/60/16) from Costco. Swapped them out this weekend with no problems. Much cheaper than getting 215/50 series tires and they were only a percentage point difference in size to the OEM tire.

Did not put TPMS sensors on the winter tires so the tire warning message and indicator light comes on but it's not a big deal. Pressing the select button on the steering wheel gets rid of the message. The indicator light will continue to blink for a short while then remain on for the rest of the drive. Nice thing is there are no annoying warning beeps or audio dings.

One thing surprising is the Blizzaks don't seem that much louder than the OEM Michelin EnergySaver A/S tires. Perhaps the narrower tires makes the difference.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I just put on 205/60/R16 Yokohama IceGuard IG52C winter tires with 16" steel rims last Saturday. They fit good. Overall diameter is very close (within 0.9%) so the speedometer is accurate.

So far I'm happy with the ride of them. Road noise is a bit higher but that is to be expected. So far my efficiency hit only appears to be in the 3 to 5% area which surprised me.

It was 28F (-2C) on my drive to work and 40F (4C) on my way home and still managed an estimated range of 53 miles (85kms) after driving my 49 mile (78km) round trip from work today.

Note I remote start twice (using 240V L2 in garage). Drive with heater off using heated steering wheel and seats. Auto-Defog turned off. Tires inflated to 40psi. Climate set to fan only front windshield to help keep the windows clear. Overall average speed of 50 to 55 mph (80 to 88kph) with maximum speed of 60mph (95kmh) [paved county road driving].

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just ordered 205/60R-16 wheels with the X- Ice tires for our just purchased 2018 Volt. The wheels are the AR919 which weigh only 17.5 lbs.

I learned something using the TireRack site when ordering. If starting out by specifying a snow package, only 4, 16" wheels pop up. If starting out by specifying just wheels first and then adding snows afterwards, 23 16" wheels pop up. The AR919 is not one of the 4 shown when specifying a snow package.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've noticed similar behavior. The AR919s should fit without issue, as they are listed as fitting in a 15" size. I was going to go with them before I ended up going with Sonic 15s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's (205/60/16) mounted on 16" steel wheels and they work without any interference issues. Downsizing to 16" saved quite a bit of money!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just bought Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's (205/60/16) mounted on 16" steel wheels and they work without any interference issues. Downsizing to 16" saved quite a bit of money!
Yes! The 205/65R15 Xi3s I am running are almost half the price of the same tire in the stock 215/50R17. It's a shame, the Sonic wheels I bought came with 205/70R15 Hakkapeliitta R2s...just a touch too tall - such an exceptional tire!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2017 Volt and want to put 16" winter tires on it. How is the 16" rim clearance to the brake calibers? Sufficient, or just barely sufficient?

·
Registered
2 Posts
May I assume you mean "on a set of 16" Sonic aluminum 5 spokes..." Can the 2017 Volt really use 15" rims without the brake calibers getting in the way?

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
From other threads , the speed and milage readings will become inaccurate, you will be driving faster and further LOL.
Not if you match the tire diameter.

The 205/65R15 tires I run on the Sonic wheels are the exact same diameter as the stock 215/50R17s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts