GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM announced the Chevy Equinox EV for 2023. Priced at $30k. Ultium batteries. I don't expect to see more details until late in 2022 early 2023 based on previous GM news rollouts. The $30k SUV people have been waiting for?

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle

Chevrolet Previews Equinox EV
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
It's a sub-$40k, available nationwide, probably 200-mile vehicle of ANY type. Which seems essentially impossible for any manufacturer than GM to maintain. Even if it creeps up to $35k, it's still under $40k. I'll live with "SUV" to save $10,000 compared to the next thing.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
617 Posts
That's a new look for a Chevy. Looks more Asian with Lucid design cues. I like it. Now if they could just put the ONE battery tech into the Ultium pack...

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
887 Posts
We'll see if they can actually deliver on that price, or will it be like Tesla who quietly removed the base/affordable trim level of the Cybertruck from the website. Time will tell, but I have serious doubts they will.

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a new look for a Chevy. Looks more Asian with Lucid design cues. I like it. Now if they could just put the ONE battery tech into the Ultium pack...
You want GM to put a proof of concept battery in your car? Yikes! But sure, who wouldn't want a 750 mile range battery in a $30k car? No word on the battery cost, reliability, recharge cycles, high speed charging ability, long term performance. They do kinda bash charging stations, but make no mention of how you'd charge this thing. For most with a normal 240V L2 it's something like 2+ days, but to get it down to "fast" you'd like need 100A service dedicated to a beefy charge station.

Keep in mind we have seen a lot of battery breakthrough news over the years. I'm not sure if any actually successfully made it from prototype to production manufacturing. But as always, it's encouraging to see people working on battery improvements.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
That's more like it. The idea of the Ultium (GM called it an almost 1 million mile battery when Tesla was talking about their 1 million mile battery a while back) is when a cell goes bad, you remove the module it's in rather than the pack (seem to be about ten to a dozen modules and you can even put in an updated chemistry one without updating all of them). Seems like they are learning some things. At $30,000, even for a base one, would come to $37,500 Cdn. with our $14,000 federal and provincial rebate with an ICE trade in would come in at $23,500 (or $18,800 USD). Of course by the time they become available in Canada, things could change re: rebates, the $6,000 ICE trade in probably won't be renewed by then not to mention the others modified.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
$14,000 rebate and $6000 ICE trade in? What???

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
$14,000 rebate and $6000 ICE trade in? What???
No. $6,000 ICE trade in is part of the $14,000 rebate. The rest is $3,000 provincial and $5,000 federal. The ICE trade in is year by year. Not sure if it will be available in the future. As EV prices come down, I expect these will as well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
He's lucky to live in BC ... us in Ontario only have the $5k Federal rebate.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
617 Posts
You want GM to put a proof of concept battery in your car? Yikes! But sure, who wouldn't want a 750 mile range battery in a $30k car? No word on the battery cost, reliability, recharge cycles, high speed charging ability, long term performance. They do kinda bash charging stations, but make no mention of how you'd charge this thing. For most with a normal 240V L2 it's something like 2+ days, but to get it down to "fast" you'd like need 100A service dedicated to a beefy charge station.

Keep in mind we have seen a lot of battery breakthrough news over the years. I'm not sure if any actually successfully made it from prototype to production manufacturing. But as always, it's encouraging to see people working on battery improvements.
Well, I'm not expecting to get the first one off the line. Our Volt is still young. I like the Ultium monitoring tech, but I expect the current battery technologygy in the Ultium to be dramatically surpassed in a few years. With major improvements in charge time, capacity, range, cost, etc., yes. I would like to GM to be looking at the 2nd generation Ultium in order to stay competitive. That's most likely where I would buy in.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
You want GM to put a proof of concept battery in your car? Yikes! But sure, who wouldn't want a 750 mile range battery in a $30k car?
Honestly? I don't need or want that. Someplace around a 400 mile vehicle, I just can't out-drive the charging opportunity for the amount of times I want a break to stretch and take a leak and give my brain enough of a rest that I can maintain alertness. There's no reason ICE cars couldn't get 30 gallon fuel tanks and 1000+ mile ranges; they've had tanks that big before. But 300-400 miles is all the range a car NEEDS, so that's all the bigger the fuel tanks generally are. People are 999 times out 1000 going to stop before then anyway, and probably before even half of that.

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly? I don't need or want that. Someplace around a 400 mile vehicle, I just can't out-drive the charging opportunity for the amount of times I want a break to stretch and take a leak and give my brain enough of a rest that I can maintain alertness. There's no reason ICE cars couldn't get 30 gallon fuel tanks and 1000+ mile ranges; they've had tanks that big before. But 300-400 miles is all the range a car NEEDS, so that's all the bigger the fuel tanks generally are. People are 999 times out 1000 going to stop before then anyway, and probably before even half of that.
You are forgetting that the average driver does 750 to 2,000 mile cross country trips on a regular basis /s At least that's one reason people give as to why an EV would never work for them. That, and the "5 minute fueling". Both are suspect reasons. While they may apply to some people, I doubt most people with cars take those kind of trips on a regular basis,, But if you do, a rental will avoid wear and tear on your daily driver. And the 5 minute gas pump can't compete with the full "tank" I have every morning —without having to go to a gas station.

This is why the Volt is such a great car. It educates you on how an EV can (or rarely can't) fit your daily life with few if any changes. Remembering to plug in is about it and that's not hard to pull-off unless you are a talking head on one of the "News" shows who predicted a wave of divorces when the spouse can't remember to plug in. Also, the Volt is just stupid according to the same guy...

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
He's lucky to live in BC ... us in Ontario only have the $5k Federal rebate.
Yeah but you had a $14,000 rebate (pre federal) before you voted in Ford.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
617 Posts
I like the idea of a very long-range battery, not just for our average trips, but also for the 2-way charge feature like the F150 Lightning has. We live in a rural area with frequent winter power outages of 1-48 hrs. The ability to run the house with judicious power management for several days is an attractive feature.

Reactions: Bill Step

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
There's no reason ICE cars couldn't get 30 gallon fuel tanks and 1000+ mile ranges; they've had tanks that big before.
they made cars like that,I and member Lugnut had them,,its called the 1997 passat tdi,once a couple of mods are made and they'd come real close to 1k mark.mine running poorly(stuck rings on 2 cylinders) still put down to the ground 122hp,217tq on a very stingy dentsport chassis dyno.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I like the idea of a very long-range battery, not just for our average trips, but also for the 2-way charge feature like the F150 Lightning has. We live in a rural area with frequent winter power outages of 1-48 hrs. The ability to run the house with judicious power management for several days is an attractive feature.
I like the 2 way charge also,save me the hassle of propane for the generac.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
You know you can buy a whole-house generator and installation for less than the difference between a 60kwh EV and a 75kwh EV, right? Then you can power the house and drive somewhere at the same time.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
617 Posts
You know you can buy a whole-house generator and installation for less than the difference between a 60kwh EV and a 75kwh EV, right? Then you can power the house and drive somewhere at the same time.
I am trying to get away from ICE engines and fossil fuel dependencies, not add to them. We live in a rural community where the labor to install and maintain is high and the costs of propane are higher, perhaps double that of the midwest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts