GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Some shapes are just intoxicatingly cool. They inspire irrational behavior like signing up to buy, lease, or "subscribe to" a vehicle you have no legitimate need for. This all-electric 2023 Canoo Pickup will be that vehicle for devotees of the pickup variants of vintage forward-control vans like the Chevy Corvair Greenbriar (Rampside), Dodge A100, Ford Econoline, Jeep FC, and Volkswagen Transporter. It's not quite Dodge Deora cool, but it's close."

112.2-inch wheelbase, control-arm and composite transverse-leaf-spring suspended skateboard platform chassis, as well as by-wire steering and braking.
More details here

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
OMG!

It's VW transporter pickup.

We had a blue one with extended cab (for gas bottles and tools) and long item cargo bars on top. Roughly 25 years ago or so.. I think these originate from 60's..

edit: Yeh, they're 60's to 90's..

https://flic.kr/p/2hJUGqz

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, there are a bunch of cab forward's that were popular back in the day. The Canoo retains the look but does not put the driver in the crush zone like these old versions. The video highlights the Swiss Army Knife versatility of the Canoo. Pretty impressive. Even I was thinking how nice having one would be and I'm not a pickup truck buyer, lol. Some features I've seen on Rivian's, but others seem unique to Canoo. I have a relative who is very excited by this EV truck.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The bed partitioning, extension & side openings are nice features which every pick-up should have. And the storage box concept taking the space from (not needed) gas tank is really good idea.

Some good tech & ideas in there. Too bad it's rental and won't probably land to Europe.

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I thought the ability to convert from 6ft bed to 8ft is clever. Also all the various storage nooks, power outlets, truck bed lighting, cargo tie down systems, interior reconfigurability, etc. Seems very flexible and practical for a wide variety of uses. Not just a "look at me:" urban cowboy "fashion" truck.

In general, they are focusing on multi-purpose utility rather than speed, though I'm sure it has that too. I think it's easier on the eyes than other EV trucks coming to market, though that's subjective.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is way cooler than the Cyborgtruck.

Reactions: JuneBug

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,596 Posts
In late December, when they went public, they were claiming a production date in late '21. Now, the stock price has dropped about 35% from its original opening and this is promoted as a '23. I don't know if that is a MY or "production date." I seriously doubt we'll ever see one of these come off a production line. Has anyone seen performance figures? Range, speed, acceleration? Former execs from Faraday Future . . . oh great.

Edit: After reading some more on the website, I realize this is not an update on the original "Canoo" model, but a follow up vehicle which only shows as "Coming Soon" on the website. So, this may not be a delay of the original production date for the Canoo model.

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I want one! And I'm not a big fan of pickup trucks. But this thing is so cool and just screams "21st century" while paying homage to the VW Transporter! Much cooler than the Cybertruck and Rivian.

Reactions: sosmerc

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Somebody rich and famous said "Prototypes are easy, volume production hard, positive cash flow is excruciating"

Rivian says production starts in June. I haven't quite shined up to its looks yet, but hey, the Bolt looks good to me now so there's hope.
Looks like Lordstown is a bunch of hot air that will go nowhere.
I have a CT reservation. Noticed lately that bounces prices up and down to match supply and demand. Wondering if the CT prices get bumped up considerably from the intro numbers.
Electric F-150 and Silverado by 2024 MY.

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A year ago, Canoo was in talks with Hyundai to jointly develop an all-electric skateboard platform based on the one underpinning the Canoo EV pod. "The scalable platform will be used for future electric Hyundai and Kia models as well as Purpose-Built Vehicles (PBVs, or mobility pods like the Canoo). The collaboration will produce a platform that can support EVs both large and small."

I'm not sure where that project is given that Canoo said the first vehicle would be rolling out in 2021. Then again, Tesla is famous for not meeting it's schedules for new car rollouts. Plus wasn't there some big world-wide thing that happened in the last year that put a crimp on lot's of businesses and many people losing their jobs? That likely did not help a new auto startup.
Hyundai's press release is here: Hyundai Motor Group, Canoo to Co-Develop All-Electric Platform for Future Electric Vehicles - Hyundai Newsroom

Apple was also in talks with Canoo in 2020, but that stalled. Fast forward and Canoo has raised $600 million going public through a SPARC.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Many things I like about this little truck. Looks very useful without being ginormous.

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder about their plan to make the truck ownership a subscription service rather than an outright sale. Perhaps some plusses, and could be popular with people who lease. But I prefer to buy.

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I question the yoke-ish steering wheel for the same reason I question Tesla's yoke wheel. They tend to be trigger happy. Great for a race car driver on a closed course perhaps. likely not so great for most drivers.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
OMG!

It's VW transporter pickup.

We had a blue one with extended cab (for gas bottles and tools) and long item cargo bars on top. Roughly 25 years ago or so.. I think these originate from 60's..

edit: Yeh, they're 60's to 90's..

https://flic.kr/p/2hJUGqz
whats once old is new again.

I like it,wonder how fast it is and range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts