GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Now if I could get a Bolt EUV for under $20k...probably never going to happen...
Just wait 2 or 3 years and buy one used coming off lease. :) Used are typically a better value than new as the previous short-term owner took the big depreciation hit for you.

Or, buy a used Bolt EV instead. Available now. A bit more cargo room than the EUV version.

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
Now if I could get a Bolt EUV for under $20k...probably never going to happen...

This is a bit far away, and I'm sure the price includes some California-only incentives, this is in the $20k ballpark. Alas it is not the EUV which will probably go for list price until demand plummets and GM starts piling on the rebates.

I bought a 2004 CTS in March 2005 with a similar GM deal. Its MSRP was $33k and I got it for $23k new. The reason they were desperate to sell it was because it has a rare manual transmission and people in the Chicagoland area hate manuals because the highways often have stop and go traffic. So after the first adopters buy what they want, then an avalanche of other EVs come (I'm still waiting for my Lyriq), supply and demand will dictate and rebates and discounts. I wish GM sold the EUV 5 years ago, I'd probably have one. But today, I wait...

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
Check back in four years. I bet you can then. 2017 Bolts are well under $20k now.
My days of buying used cars are over.... except for maybe buying collectables like 80s-90s vintage muscle cars (Hurst Olds, Monte Carlo SS Aero edition, Syclone, Typhoon, Marauder, Buick T Type, Buick Grand National). I'll overpay and eat that depreciation. On the other hand, with how few miles I'm putting on my cars nowadays, my Volt might just last forever. I really need to replace it with something more roomy, better seats for my wife's back, and creature comforts.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
173 Posts
Just wait 2 or 3 years and buy one used coming off lease. :) Used are typically a better value than new as the previous short-term owner took the big depreciation hit for you.

Or, buy a used Bolt EV instead. Available now. A bit more cargo room than the EUV version.
I'd love to buy one used coming off lease, however my last used vehicle purchase (2012 Volt) has been a complete disaster. Honestly, it's my own fault, as I relied on a dealer mechanic to check over the car and only drove it for a day before purchase. I could have asked the dealer to let me take it home for the weekend and check it out more carefully. That would have shown the battery life (high 20's was low for even a 2012) along with any of the maintenance issues that I missed when buying the car.

Has anyone here had good luck with a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle? I'm a bit hesitant to purchase anything that has an unknown history, and CPO may help ease those fears. Still doesn't guarantee the car hasn't smacked a curb or two, or been used/abused by a reckless owner.

·
Administrator
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
I'd love to buy one used coming off lease, however my last used vehicle purchase (2012 Volt) has been a complete disaster. Honestly, it's my own fault, as I relied on a dealer mechanic to check over the car and only drove it for a day before purchase. I could have asked the dealer to let me take it home for the weekend and check it out more carefully. That would have shown the battery life (high 20's was low for even a 2012) along with any of the maintenance issues that I missed when buying the car.

Has anyone here had good luck with a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle? I'm a bit hesitant to purchase anything that has an unknown history, and CPO may help ease those fears. Still doesn't guarantee the car hasn't smacked a curb or two, or been used/abused by a reckless owner.
All certified pre-owned means is that the dealership feels comfortable enough with the low miles and good condition on the car to put the Certified PreOwned tag on it and charge a bit more for that little bit of certainty. Maybe they print a little certificate like what is given to every player on a soccer team that they participated. Some CPOs are just extended warranties added to a used car. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/what-does-certified-pre-owned-mean

In one sense, every car is a used car once you drive it off the lot. I've purchased 2 used cars in my lifetime, was given 2 used cars for free, and both made it deep the 100k-200k miles without major issues. But I consider myself lucky that I didn't run into a lemon with any of my vehicular purchases. There used to be a forum member who went through 20+ cars in about the same timeframe that I went through 4 of them, and he has lots of stories of lemons, engine/transmission failures, etc.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
173 Posts
I’m just uncertain that the used car I may purchase will require just as much or more than a new car to keep running. Take my Volt, I could have financed a new Bolt for a total cost of $52,740 over the length of the loan and have a running car for 6 years (36k x 6 = about 215k miles). Instead I have a Volt with half that cost and 81k miles, which means I have 120k left, or less, before I need to replace it, and thats only if it continues to run to 200k without an engine or cooling system failure (I always shut down the car if it’s in overtemp, so maybe it won’t need an engine if I’m lucky). Either way, it’s just a tool to get to work and back so I’m going to drive it until the wheels fall off. And when they do, price out a new Bolt then to see if they get to more reasonable prices. Or continue with a used car that I can pay cash for, but may break down sooner.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's super high tech and all but it costs like a Tesla and it's not getting a discount either. The problem is that Teslas have much higher resale value. I've seen used Teslas cost more than new ones. GM is going to be so good at producing them it will be about as rare as a Toyota Camry.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts