GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Ridiculous.. I’m tired of seeing teaser photos from GM of their alleged EV progress. It’s been 4 long years since Mary Barra said GM would have 23 new EVs by 2023. Still only have the Bolt. GM closed their small car plant (Cruze), threw their lot in with Trump against California emissions requirements, cancelled the Volt after a billion dollar investment, and have the 2nd worse fuel economy of all major auto brands. Surprise, surprise the week after Trump lost the election Ms. Barra said they are going to accelerate their EV plans. Accelerate from what? There was no backup plan. I’m only on this site because I am/was a loyal GM customer for 40 years. At this moment in time there is not a single GM car I am interested in. Why would I buy a Equinox that gets 27 mpg when there are numerous competing models that get 40 mpg? How will GM with their EV remake sell vehicles to people who live in apartments and don’t have access to a charging port? Ridiculous. Mary Barra is so short sighted it’s ridiculous. She should absolutely be fired and replaced with someone who knows the market and has a competitive spirit.
i’m a loyal GM fanboy, and cannot wait until the Lyriq arrives. I’m not excited about the Hummer, but it’s more of a statement that you can blow $120+k on a vehicle for the elite one-upsmanship contest that most of us could care less about. But between the volt gen1, gen2, ELR, CT6 Plugin, and Bolt, I’d have to agree with you on one fact, these EVs have been coming out at a glacial pace. The scary thing is that by going all in, if the Ultium batteries start catching on fire in droves, GM might be doomed.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The scary thing is that by going all in, if the Ultium batteries start catching on fire in droves, GM might be doomed.
GM is known for being risk averse. Perhaps taking the R&D steps needed to avoid "Ultium batteries catching on fire in droves" and other potential problems is at least in part why GM seems to be taking longer.

After all, I'm sure they still remember when politicians and some media outlets "fanned the flames" by claiming the new Volt was a fire death trap, ultimately leading to congressional hearings that went nowhere. Regardless, there is no evidence to support the speculation that Ultium batteries will be catching fire in droves. Meanwhile there is ample evidence that gas vehicles catch fire in droves regularly. People keep buying them anyway.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
How will GM with their EV remake sell vehicles to people who live in apartments and don’t have access to a charging port?
In another thread it was reported GM is working with advancements in battery technology to develop an affordable BEV with a 450 mile range battery capable of fast recharging... the same range available in an ICE car with an 18 gallon gas tank that gets 25 mpg...

The apartment dwelling driver of such a BEV could refuel it just like the ICE car... if the daily commute is, say, 40 miles or less, the fuel tank holds enough for a couple of weeks of commuting, and then the driver pulls into a properly equipped fast charging station on the way home and recharges it in a half hour, and is done with the charging, even if it might require paying "gas per mile" prices for the charge instead of "cheap electric per mile" prices...

Once a BEV’s fuel tank holds more than a couple of gallons’ worth of driving distance, there’s less need to "top off the tank" each night. And the greater the number of drivers who commute for a week or more on a single charge, the greater the customer base for urban and suburban fast charging "Stop ‘n Charge" mini-mart/refueling stations.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,003 Posts
The Bolt EUV is slated for Summer 2021, so say 7 months minimum before you could drive one away. I suspect Chevy will have identified the Bolt EV battery issue before then and will have either issued a hardware-based or software-based (both?) recall. Given that the current fix is to limit charging to 90% (just like the Hilltop Reserve setting), I'm not too worried. I've been using that setting since day one to mimic the Volt's State Of Charge battery management regime.
part one
7 months , how about now , we would like to sell you a bolt, oh and by the way, it might catch on fire. how does that work. GM is banking on electric and this fire thing is like, lets use football as an example. the quarterback has just thrown a hail mary to the receiver, that catches at the 10 yard line and has a open field to the end zone. he makes it to the 1 yard line and fumbles the ball . the ball is up in the air and your tv dies ( or to keep it in context, your tv catches on fire)
If my understanding is right, they have known about this problem for 9 months already. haven't figured it out and have put in a stop gap measure of reducing charge capacity that may or may not help. you could say by GM pushing electrics and this going on in the background some lawyer is going to say thats fraudulent or the very least, 60,000 bolt owners are going to say we didnt sign up for this. Its a mess,
cant finish this now, when i get the chance you will get part 2
in the mean time enjoy your ev and reflex how lucky you all are.:)

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
part one
7 months , how about now , we would like to sell you a bolt, oh and by the way, it might catch on fire. how does that work. GM is banking on electric and this fire thing is like, lets use football as an example. the quarterback has just thrown a hail mary to the receiver, that catches at the 10 yard line and has a open field to the end zone. he makes it to the 1 yard line and fumbles the ball . the ball is up in the air and your tv dies ( or to keep it in context, your tv catches on fire)
There is a YouTube video showing a football player catching a long bomb around the 10, had a clear shot to the end zone, but drops the ball on the 1 yard line before entering the end zone (why he didn’t hold on and spike it is a mystery).

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Some things I can never figure out:

Why do people get all upset when three EVs catch on fire but don't raise an eyebrow when gas cars catch on fire every three minutes.

Why does everyone live 250 miles from work so a long range EV is an absolute must. Wouldn't finding a job closer to home or selling the house to buy one closer to work be a better idea?

Why does every one drive 14 hours a day on their vacation instead of stopping to see the sights which is why you decided to drive in the first place rather than take a flight?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Let's see in 50 years of driving I've seen 2 cars on fire. Back in the 90s one of those GM vans with the composite body panels (heck of a dense smoke when the panels burned) and a couple of years ago, a volt, the irony.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Why does every one drive 14 hours a day on their vacation instead of stopping to see the sights which is why you decided to drive in the first place rather than take a flight?
When my wife and I used to live in Chicagoland, we hardly ever went to the local museums, but now that we live 120 miles away we take weekend trips all the time... until the pandemic

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
570 Posts
Why does everyone live 250 miles from work so a long range EV is an absolute must. Wouldn't finding a job closer to home or selling the house to buy one closer to work be a better idea?
Of course that's an exaggeration, however an EV really becomes economically viable when matched with high mileage. The fuel & maintenance savings then outweigh the additional cost, which drives people (like me) to make the purchase. At significantly less annual mileage, a cheaper gas car would make more financial sense. So perhaps it's those that rack on the miles who are driven to EV's for the TCO. (And there's no way in hell I'd live in the area I work. :p )

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Of course that's an exaggeration, however an EV really becomes economically viable when matched with high mileage. The fuel & maintenance savings then outweigh the additional cost, which drives people (like me) to make the purchase. At significantly less annual mileage, a cheaper gas car would make more financial sense. So perhaps it's those that rack on the miles who are driven to EV's for the TCO. (And there's no way in hell I'd live in the area I work. :p )
Exactly. The G1 volt made sense when I was commuting 20k+ miles per year, found the volt at half price from the dealer discounts/state and federal incentives, and the gas guzzler it replaced was costing me $250-450 per month in fuel because gas prices were near $4 per gallon. Tweak any of those parameters like the commute or the fuel prices, and the formula broke. Now I don’t drive at all and our goals have changed from saving money with a commuter car to travelling potentially long distances in comfort. The youngest’s college expenses are almost topped off, so I don’t necessarily need an EV other than to pay to be green. As the 401k continues to reap incredible returns, even during a pandemic, vehicles that I would never consider are now within reach as soon as I can touch the 401k without penalty. I’m tempted to even pay the 10% penalty plus my tax rate to accelerate the next purchase as soon as I settle on the next vehicle,

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
You guys just live in the wrong part of the world! At the start of my professional career I lived on the edge of the city (Calgary) and worked downtown. I was 20 minutes and 9 miles away. Interestingly, despite 40 years of development, Google maps says it's still 19 minutes travel time (although no longer on the edge) and Google takes the somewhat obscure route I took, 40 years earlier. For the last 40 years I live out in the country (a number of farms and developments between me and the city) and was 6 miles and 15 minutes from the center of the city where I worked.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here's how much my wife and I have traveled since March: the snow tires are still on both cars from last winter, lol. We've put about 50 miles on them since then. Normally I take them off in March, but this year has been...unusual.

I now view Amazon, Wayfair, etc. as the modern day equivalents of the 1890's Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward mail order catalogs and I'm in my cabin on the prairie ordering stuff as needed. Barring a few medical trips, we are in no rush and have no need to mingle. Once an effective vaccine is available to us (about the same time frame as the Bolt EUV is available), we'll be back on the road again. Until then, I'll continue to pretend we are on a trip to mars in a spaceship with plenty of room, comfort, entertainment (books, movies, music) and regular resupplies delivered to our docking port as needed. :)

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Here's how much my wife and I have traveled since March: the snow tires are still on both cars from last winter, lol. We've put about 50 miles on them since then. Normally I take them off in March, but this year has been...unusual.

I now view Amazon, Wayfair, etc. as the modern day equivalents of the 1890's Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward mail order catalogs and I'm in my cabin on the prairie ordering stuff as needed. Barring a few medical trips, we are in no rush and have no need to mingle. Once an effective vaccine is available to us (about the same time frame as the Bolt EUV is available), we'll be back on the road again. Until then, I'll continue to pretend we are on a trip to mars in a spaceship with plenty of room, comfort, entertainment (books, movies, music) and regular resupplies delivered to our docking port as needed. :)
I would kill for a replicator so I can pick out any food from any restaurant in the world and have it materialize in front of me so I can stuff my face. They say eating home cooked meals is healthier, I’ve lost 20 pounds since the beginning on the pandemic and I was skinny to begin with. I live too far from any good restaurants for delivery. The local restaurants include 2 pizza joints, 4 bars, 2 American restaurants, McDonald’s, Hardee’s, a Mexican place, and a froyo place.Driving 50 miles for carry out seems silly. It was different when I drove 50 miles for work and could pick up delicious food on the way home.

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt
58 Posts
part one
If my understanding is right, they have known about this problem for 9 months already. haven't figured it out and have put in a stop gap measure of reducing charge capacity that may or may not help. you could say by GM pushing electrics and this going on in the background some lawyer is going to say thats fraudulent or the very least, 60,000 bolt owners are going to say we didnt sign up for this. Its a mess,
cant finish this now, when i get the chance you will get part 2
in the mean time enjoy your ev and reflex how lucky you all are.:)
The recall is not for the 2020 models, which is what they are selling now and have different battery packs and are not catching fire. So your analogy falls apart at the start of it.

And as has been mentioned, 170,000 gas cars burn down every year. I've been in one that exploded and burned to the ground and almost died. I'll take my chances with my Bolt, thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Strange, I drove into town and back and didn't see a single car on fire. As far as 2020 Bolts go... who knows 2 years from now those might be bursting into flames too.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,003 Posts
Strange, I drove into town and back and didn't see a single car on fire. As far as 2020 Bolts go... who knows 2 years from now those might be bursting into flames too.
took the words out of my mouth:)
once they figure it out, they may include 2020 bolts as well as the volts, thats the way i see it going. but i've been wrong before. so yes your 2020 is safe for now, maybe

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Or Martians might have landed on Earth to tell us we are not welcome there unless we have been inoculated for COVID19.

3,605 Posts
roof looks flatter
hope the white dash is gone
until they come up with a reason for the fires, i have no interest
The Bolt EUV is slated for Summer 2021, so say 7 months minimum before you could drive one away. I suspect Chevy will have identified the Bolt EV battery issue before then and will have either issued a hardware-based or software-based (both?) recall. Given that the current fix is to limit charging to 90% (just like the Hilltop Reserve setting), I'm not too worried. I've been using that setting since day one to mimic the Volt's State Of Charge battery management regime.
The recall is not for the 2020 models, which is what they are selling now and have different battery packs and are not catching fire. So your analogy falls apart at the start of it.

And as has been mentioned, 170,000 gas cars burn down every year. I've been in one that exploded and burned to the ground and almost died. I'll take my chances with my Bolt, thank you very much.
Hi supchrgamx, Steverino, and Chris_V:

Certain vehicles in the 2019 model year were built using battery cells produced at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea, facility, which is where we believe the issue developed. The verified incidents investigated thus far had batteries produced at this facility. Additionally, the 2020 Bolt EV uses a different cell design than the vehicles affected by this recall, which enabled us to increase range to 259 miles.

Our engineers are working around the clock to identify a permanent remedy and we expect to have the permanent remedy available after the first of the year, 2021. Until then, we're confident in our temporary fix of limiting the charge to 90%. The confirmed incidents that we have investigated to date had a number of things in common:
1) The battery packs in question used battery cells manufactured at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea, facility between (May 2016-May 2019).
2) The incidents occurred in vehicles that were at or near a maximum state of charge.
3) We have no confirmed incidents from vehicles with battery cells not produced at this facility or at a lower state of charge.

If you have any questions, or want to know if your vehicle is impacted by this, feel free to send an email with your name, VIN, and current mileage to [email protected]. We also ask that you include "ATTN: Chevrolet | [insert your user name here] | Forum" in the subject line so we know it's you.

Dani C.

To learn more about our privacy policy, please visit Privacy Statement | General Motors

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for the update, Dani.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,003 Posts
Hi supchrgamx, Steverino, and Chris_V:

Certain vehicles in the 2019 model year were built using battery cells produced at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea, facility, which is where we believe the issue developed. The verified incidents investigated thus far had batteries produced at this facility. Additionally, the 2020 Bolt EV uses a different cell design than the vehicles affected by this recall, which enabled us to increase range to 259 miles.

Our engineers are working around the clock to identify a permanent remedy and we expect to have the permanent remedy available after the first of the year, 2021. Until then, we're confident in our temporary fix of limiting the charge to 90%. The confirmed incidents that we have investigated to date had a number of things in common:
1) The battery packs in question used battery cells manufactured at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea, facility between (May 2016-May 2019).
2) The incidents occurred in vehicles that were at or near a maximum state of charge.
3) We have no confirmed incidents from vehicles with battery cells not produced at this facility or at a lower state of charge.

If you have any questions, or want to know if your vehicle is impacted by this, feel free to send an email with your name, VIN, and current mileage to [email protected]. We also ask that you include "ATTN: Chevrolet | [insert your user name here] | Forum" in the subject line so we know it's you.

Dani C.

To learn more about our privacy policy, please visit Privacy Statement | General Motors
There is a YouTube video showing a football player catching a long bomb around the 10, had a clear shot to the end zone, but drops the ball on the 1 yard line before entering the end zone (why he didn’t hold on and spike it is a mystery).
I have seen it time and time again in different version
so unless your tv caught on fire watching your youtube , it a different story :)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts