Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From GM:

A glimpse at what's next.
CHEVROLET

Bolt EUV Power Flow Screen

Charged up? So are we.
The next game-changing electric vehicle from Chevrolet is almost here. Here's a sneak peek of the Power Flow Screen right from the heart of the all-new Bolt EUV.

Available Summer 2021, the all-electric Bolt EUV will offer a fresh design and plenty of advanced technology. We're keeping the rest under wraps for now, but we promise that when we tell you more, it will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Nice to see the accelerated production schedule. Whether it expands the market or mostly robs Bolt sales we'll see.

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding is the BOLT EUV is a bigger version of the Bolt and I think it will offer ACC?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My understanding is the BOLT EUV is a bigger version of the Bolt and I think it will offer ACC?
Better than that, Supercruise!

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Looking at the graphic of the vehicle, I’ve got to say it looks like a slightly bloated Bolt, and I haven’t been inspired by the shape and looks of the Bolt to begin with. Now if they end up making the car look more like the Buick Enspire prototype from a few years go, then. I’m all in. Similarly, put a Pontiac Solstace body onto the bolt skateboard and that could be my fun car, otherwise I’ve actually eyeing a used Pontiac Solstice, Mazda Miata, or BMW Z3/4, or if the 401k does really, really well a Tesla Roadster 2

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
493 Posts
Hard to tell, but it looks like they may have changed the white saddle shoe bottom of the dash and made it black. That would be a small, but welcome change.

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the 20+ new North American EV's for Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, GMC to rollout by 2025.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
I zoomed way in with my iPad. The features of the EUV seems to show an interesting tail light there is an upward swoop in the rear window kind of like a Nissan Murano or old Mercury Cougar. I’m not sure what the lime green splotches are fore and aft of the battery.
View attachment 171465

Attachments

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
I would say regenerative braking.
If you watch the original animated gif file, it looks to be front wheel drive, not AWD. Or maybe there is a small motor in the back....

here’s a teaser video on youtube

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another view with more light

The Bolt for comparison:

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Bolt EUV is slated for Summer 2021, so say 7 months minimum before you could drive one away. I suspect Chevy will have identified the Bolt EV battery issue before then and will have either issued a hardware-based or software-based (both?) recall. Given that the current fix is to limit charging to 90% (just like the Hilltop Reserve setting), I'm not too worried. I've been using that setting since day one to mimic the Volt's State Of Charge battery management regime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From GM:

CHEVROLET

Charged up? So are we.
The next game-changing electric vehicle from Chevrolet is almost here. Here's a sneak peek of the Power Flow Screen right from the heart of the all-new Bolt EUV.

Available Summer 2021, the all-electric Bolt EUV will offer a fresh design and plenty of advanced technology. We're keeping the rest under wraps for now, but we promise that when we tell you more, it will be worth the wait.
From GM:

CHEVROLET

Charged up? So are we.

Ridiculous.. I’m tired of seeing teaser photos from GM of their alleged EV progress. It’s been 4 long years since Mary Barra said GM would have 23 new EVs by 2023. Still only have the Bolt. GM closed their small car plant (Cruze), threw their lot in with Trump against California emissions requirements, cancelled the Volt after a billion dollar investment, and have the 2nd worse fuel economy of all major auto brands. Surprise, surprise the week after Trump lost the election Ms. Barra said they are going to accelerate their EV plans. Accelerate from what? There was no backup plan. I’m only on this site because I am/was a loyal GM customer for 40 years. At this moment in time there is not a single GM car I am interested in. Why would I buy a Equinox that gets 27 mpg when there are numerous competing models that get 40 mpg? How will GM with their EV remake sell vehicles to people who live in apartments and don’t have access to a charging port? Ridiculous. Mary Barra is so short sighted it’s ridiculous. She should absolutely be fired and replaced with someone who knows the market and has a competitive spirit.

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ridiculous.. I’m tired of seeing teaser photos from GM of their alleged EV progress. It’s been 4 long years since Mary Barra said GM would have 23 new EVs by 2023. Still only have the Bolt.
An aircraft carrier doesn't turn on a dime as the saying goes.

It's important to remember it's still 2020, not 2023 and you may have missed a number of pretty significant developments.

So far, the Bolt EUV, Cadillac Lyric and GMC Hummer have all been announced and delivery dates are Summer 2021, 2023, and Fall 2021 respectively. The Cruise Automation Origin self driving vehicle has also been shown and production begins in "early 2022". CA recently granted Cruise the ability to have its AV;s operate without a backup driver, a significant step.

Also, not all 23 new vehicles will be in North America. Plenty will be destined for China where there are significant government incentives for both producing and buying EV's.

GM closed their small car plant (Cruze), threw their lot in with Trump against California emissions requirements, cancelled the Volt after a billion dollar investment, and have the 2nd worse fuel economy of all major auto brands.
People are buying CUV's SUV's and trucks. Small sedans are an ever shrinking market, leading GM and Ford to essentially exit to focus on CUV's SUV's and trucks. I don't like it either as I'm not a fan of CUV's SUV's and trucks but I'm very happy with my Bolt EV as an alternative.

Surprise, surprise the week after Trump lost the election Ms. Barra said they are going to accelerate their EV plans. Accelerate from what? There was no backup plan.
Politics affecting business decisions? Tell me it ain't so! :) As far as accelerating their plans, you have already referenced some of them above: New EV models. And there is the R&D that goes along with them. GM is now spending more on EV R&D than on gas/diesel. GM's new Ultium batteries are a pretty significant development as is the battery megafactory they are building in Lordstown.

I’m only on this site because I am/was a loyal GM customer for 40 years. At this moment in time there is not a single GM car I am interested in. Why would I buy a Equinox that gets 27 mpg when there are numerous competing models that get 40 mpg?
I don't care about a gas-powered Equinox, I'm done with buying gas powered cars.

How will GM with their EV remake sell vehicles to people who live in apartments and don’t have access to a charging port? Ridiculous. Mary Barra is so short sighted it’s ridiculous. She should absolutely be fired and replaced with someone who knows the market and has a competitive spirit.
No question apartments are an issue for those with an EV. I don't expect GM to install charge stations along every street at every parking spot. If anything that would be a state or local government project. I do see higher end urban properties that offer parking spaces starting to offer charging as an option just like granite counters, luxury showers, terraces, etc. What's your solution?

I think it's a bit like the early days of the horseless carriage when gas stations where rare. The market adjusted and many more gas stations were built over time. Eventually gas stations become as common as street corners. The build out of EV charging infrastructure is happening. GM has teamed with EVgo, a public electric-vehicle charging network, to add 2,700 electric-vehicle fast-chargers to the network to spur adoption of the vehicles across the U.S. Tesla also has a network and doubtless others will have similar networks. VW's Electrify America network for example operates one of the largest public electric vehicle DC fast charging networks in the United States, with more than 500 charging locations and over 2,200 individual charging units, as of 2020. Again, we are just at the early stages of the EV charging industry.

I suspect some of this will also be addressed by ride-sharing vehicles. Why even hassle with owning a car when you live in an apartment? The cost, maintenance and parking hassles are all negatives. AV's such as the Cruise Origin that pick you up and drop you off could be cost effective and far less hassle. The car will charge itself at stations setup for that purpose. This is already in the works.

So things are moving though slower than some of us would like. Heck, I've been driving an EV for almost 10 years and now own two. Hopefully the above addresses some of your concerns, EddieD.

Reactions: EddieD

·
Registered
2,589 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
How will GM with their EV remake sell vehicles to people who live in apartments and don’t have access to a charging port?
It is unfortunate if you live in some backward part of the world like parts of the USA or Uganda, etc. In Vancouver, BC you can not get a building permit to build a condo or apartment building unless there is at least one charge port per unit. Previous to this (being last year) you had to have 20% of the units with at least one charge port. Older units (building associations) are looking into getting charge ports as they will become obsolete and undesirable if they don't have them, in other words harder to rent and to sell. In my own little part of the world in a town of 5,000 there are 9 units of free charging in the various parking lots to help those out of towners and those that don't have plug in's at home. By 2040 (20 years from now) GM will not be able to sell any gas/diesel vehicles here. By that time any one with the money to buy a car (in other words not homeless) will have a spot to charge their vehicles. Our airport has free charging in both short term and long term parking.

As for seeing the writing on the wall re: California, it's also other States as well, that comprises 1/3 of the market to which they would not have access to. If you are ceding 1/3 of the market you are on a downward slope that has no upside.

Reactions: EddieD
1 - 20 of 42 Posts