GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, Jan 2020, I bought a used 2012 Chevy Volt. It was all great until I realized every time I started out in electric it would not heat, no matter how high I turned up the heater. We ended up spending the winter using the seat heaters to warm us until the gas would kick in. Once the gas started the car would heat just fine. Everything I saw on line said to either take it in for heat pump replacement or some other guess work service that didn't seem to really work for anyone.
But this fall, Sept. 2021, as temperatures began to drop again I started trying to solve the problem and it seems I did. Doing this definitely uses up some of the electric, so I only run the heater until the cart is warm then turn it off. Ready? You won't believe it, I couldn't believe I spent all last winter driving from North Carolina to Washington State freezing.

Here goes:
Start your car.
Push the Config button,
Select Vehicle,
Select Climate and Air Quality,
Select Engine Assisted Heating,
Select Cold Outside Temperatures,
That's freaking it!
If it is 55 degrees or colder out your car will heat off you have the heater on. I find mine warms up best when set at 75 or so. Then I turn it off, so I don't use up my electric charger too much.

I hope this helps everyone as much as it did me 馃槂. And no visit to the car doctors.
Stay safe out there!

Registered
I believe that selecting "Cold Outside Temperatures" merely causes the ICE to start if the outside temperature is 35 degrees or below. Otherwise, the ICE only starts if the temperature is 15 degrees are below. Are you saying that changing that setting caused your electric heat to start working?

Registered
There is no heat pump and your procedure is only masking the problem. The Volt's electric heater is very powerful, and faster to blowing warm air than any ICE car I've ever driven. When I had the same issue with my 2013, I took it to the dealer. Do some sort of software update fixed the problem.

Reactions: obermd

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that selecting "Cold Outside Temperatures" merely causes the ICE to start if the outside temperature is 35 degrees or below. Otherwise, the ICE only starts if the temperature is 15 degrees are below. Are you saying that changing that setting caused your electric heat to start working?
Yes, it works now. Heats right up. Not at 35. At at least 55 because that had been our temperatures lately
There is no heat pump and your procedure is only masking the problem. The Volt's electric heater is very powerful, and faster to blowing warm air than any ICE car I've ever driven. When I had the same issue with my 2013, I took it to the dealer. Do some sort of software update fixed the problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My question is, why didn't anyone tell me that there was even this mode on the car? It definitely would have been my first go to solution. All I see posted are heat pump replacements that don't always seem to work. Anyway, I'm looking forward to driving warm this winter.

Registered
My question is, why didn't anyone tell me that there was even this mode on the car? It definitely would have been my first go to solution. All I see posted are heat pump replacements that don't always seem to work. Anyway, I'm looking forward to driving warm this winter.
There is no heat pump in the car and you must have missed the setting for the "Cold Outside Temperatures" in the owners manual when you read it after getting the car. GM explains that setting clearly.

Glad you got things working as required.

Registered
There is no heat pump in the car and you must have missed the setting for the "Cold Outside Temperatures" in the owners manual when you read it after getting the car. GM explains that setting clearly.
No heat pump qua heat pump as Prius owners brag of, but there is a coolant heater circulation pump that has been known to fail. Which does leave one with no cabin heat.

Registered
No heat pump qua heat pump as Prius owners brag of, but there is a coolant heater circulation pump that has been known to fail. Which does leave one with no cabin heat.
Oh I'm perfectly aware of that. Heat pumps are on any number of EVs today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts