GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

On Wednesday morning, the 15 hour charge on my Volt battery gave me 48 miles. On Thursday morning, I went to drive my car to work and found that after 12 hours of charging, my battery charge was at 30 miles So, this morning, I checked it after charging 15 hours and it says that I have 49 miles charged. Normally I get a range of 52-54 miles.

I have read that weather might play a factor in the charging, however, I live in So. Cal and the temp overnight was probably 55 degrees at the lowest. Daytime temp is about 78 degrees.

Does anyone know why this may be happening? My car is only 11 weeks old.

Also, when the battery is completely charges, does the electricity stop going to the car? Obviously charging at home! :)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm going to guess that you're plugging into a 110/120V outlet. If this is the case then these charge levels are correct for the default 8 amp charging rate. 120V 8 amps takes 19 to 19.5 hours to fully charge the car.

To speed this up, verify that nothing else is on the circuit you're using and then set the home location for the car. Once this is set you can tell the car to charge at 12 amps on this circuit, which will fully charge your car in 12 to 12.5 hours.

The Volt is smart - it won't overcharge or undercharge the battery, leaving about 2KWh at the top and bottom to protect the LiOn chemistry from degradation. In addition, there is a 0.4KWh buffer at the bottom the car will tap into to provide electric assist to the ICE engine. You can leave the car plugged in and not worry about overcharging the battery.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Don't make the following mistakes when charging your Volt:

GM recommends not using an extension cord when charging the Volt.

Don't assume that the existing outlet in your garage or carport is ok to use to charge your Volt even though it is more than 10 years old. (Replace any old worn out receptacle with a contractor grade or hospital grade receptacle for a tighter connection when charging.)

Don't let the EVSE housing (what people generally call the charger) hang from the power plug. This puts too much stress on the receptacle and plug and will cause it to fail. Secure the EVSE housing to a stud or wall so the weight is not on the plug.

Don't unplug the EVSE from the wall outlet until after you have unplugged the J1772 connector from the Volt's charging port.

Don't constantly be plugging and unplugging the EVSE as this will wear out the outlet receptacle. The connection between the plug and the receptacle will loosen over time and can overheat while charging.

Determine if you have a 15 amp rated circuit or a 20 amp rated circuit. The maximum continuous safe load on a 15 amp circuit is 12 amps (for a 20 amp circuit the maximum continuous load is 16 amps.) If any other appliance, i.e. freezer, dehumidifier, garage door opener, etc. is plugged into the same 15 amp branch circuit you use to charge your Volt you can only safely charge at the 8 amp setting. If your circuit breaker trips repeatedly don't reset and continue to charge until you have determined why the circuit is overloaded and take steps to correct this.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Also of note don't confuse the indicated range with battery energy. The Volt learns how efficiently you drive and is constantly recalculating how far it thinks you can go on a charge. If you drive very efficiently you can get much higher indicated ranges. This morning my Volt showed a fully charged estimated range of 59 miles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also of note don't confuse the indicated range with battery energy. The Volt learns how efficiently you drive and is constantly recalculating how far it thinks you can go on a charge. If you drive very efficiently you can get much higher indicated ranges. This morning my Volt showed a fully charged estimated range of 59 miles.
Ditto to that here. When my fiancee who loves the power and torque of driving electric drives our 2019 Volt, the range is always much lower on the next full charge.

2019 Volt LT, Pacific Blue, Power Convenience Package, LT Driver Confidence Package, Comfort Package, nicknamed "Voltemort".

·
Administrator
20,158 Posts
Ditto to that here. When my fiancee who loves the power and torque of driving electric drives our 2019 Volt, the ESTIMATED range is always much lower on the next full charge.\
Fixed it for you :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am going to guess someone drives the car like a race car and it adapts to what it abuse it expects to happen. (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts