GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Disgruntled employees make shoddy work. The Volt was abruptly cancelled by GM and the last one rolled off the line in February 2019, resulting in a half year production. Many of the assembly workers were soon to be out of work, so you can only imagine the build quality of the last units. These workers were among the best, building a car they believed in, and the line got pulled out under them. Hopefully many will return to the Hamtramack plant to build BEVs for the General.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Disgruntled employees make shoddy work. The Volt was abruptly cancelled by GM and the last one rolled off the line in February 2019, resulting in a half year production. Many of the assembly workers were soon to be out of work, so you can only imagine the build quality of the last units. These workers were among the best, building a car they believed in, and the line got pulled out under them. Hopefully many will return to the Hamtramack plant to build BEVs for the General.
I'm hoping those workers all land at Tesla, which is growing. GM has been shrinking since the 70s and BEVs only require about half the number of people to build. This "half" was let slip by the UAW during their last contract talks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
TeslaModel S2019-2020
TeslaModel X2017, 2019
TeslaModel Y2020

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
TeslaModel S2019-2020
TeslaModel X2017, 2019
TeslaModel Y2020
It's really have to put much faith in these articles as you don't know what kind of articles were reported. Often time it's just an issue with the audio system that makes a car show up on a list such as this.

If I wanted any of the cars on this list I'd go out and buy it.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
The source is actually Consumer Reports. Enough said...

Reactions: ace7010 and CeeW

·
Registered
92 Posts
Given what I know now, I'd avoid buying a used Volt. Spare parts are likely to be unavailable if something significant goes wrong (as evidenced by the lack of EGR valves, for example).

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Well the spare parts are a worry I am having on the older Volts as they are now approaching the 10 year required replacement part limit. There are quite a few parts that are Volt specific, and the used sources are likely to dry up pretty quick. The wife's 2011 is really low milage but my 2012 is getting the 80K miles range.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Interesting that the 2019 Volt was listed here. Was there something particularly bad about the 2019 model year?
According to CR, it's the In-Car Electronics, Body Integrity which 1/5
Climate System, Paint/Trim, Fuel System, Drive System, Transmission Major, and Transmission Minor (all scored 2/5).
However Electrical System, Engine Major, Engine Minor, Power Equipment, Exhaust, Engine Cooling, Body Hardware, Suspension, and Brakes all scored 5/5.

I have the 2019 so I am stuck with it. I had a check engine light come on within a couple months of ownership. Something with the high current circuit, as I recall It was covered under warranty but I asked how much it would have been if not under warranty and the answer was two grand.

After seeing the 'Not Recommended' rating from CR, I think I will look into purchasing an extended warranty that a dealer just sent a solicitation for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I leased my first Volt in December, 2011, my next in 2014, another in 2016 and my current 2019 model in 2018. I've always loved the Volt (even before it was available), but I've had to have most of them towed at least once while I owned it. I've had the 2019 more than 2 years now and have never had a problem that required towing. I plan to keep this one"forever".

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know about the 2019 Volts, but my 2018 LT at 40k miles is as flawless as any car I've ever owned (I'm 71).

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm hoping those workers all land at Tesla, which is growing. GM has been shrinking since the 70s and BEVs only require about half the number of people to build. This "half" was let slip by the UAW during their last contract talks.
Ha! Tesla already has more than enouugh shoddy workers! Or maybe it's a shoddy company. It's showing up at the bottom of assembly quality lists. Only Landy Rover beats them out.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
The source is actually Consumer Reports. Enough said...
I stopped trusting consumer reports since the mid 80s. Everything I had purchased base on CR reports broke about a month after the warranty expired.

Reactions: obermd
1 - 14 of 14 Posts