GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I understand that the 2019 Volt will have a 7.2 KWH charging system standard on the Premier model, and optional on the base LT model.

Does anyone know if GM had tweaked the battery to increase capacity? I know there was a small increase in battery capacity in the Gen 1. I believe from the 2013 to the 2014 model years.

I believe GM can still use the Gen 2 battery with its 18.4 KWH capacity, and increase the usable 14 KWH average to 15 KWH or so of usable electric energy. GM has been manufacturing the Gen 2 Volt for 3 years and with the increasing technology in this field GM may now have the technology to do so.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I understand that the 2019 Volt will have a 7.2 KWH charging system standard on the Premier model, and optional on the base LT model.

Does anyone know if GM had tweaked the battery to increase capacity? I know there was a small increase in battery capacity in the Gen 1. I believe from the 2013 to the 2014 model years.

I believe GM can still use the Gen 2 battery with its 18.4 KWH capacity, and increase the usable 14 KWH average to 15 KWH or so of usable electric energy....
I have not seen or heard anything to indicate the 2019 Volt's battery capacity has changed from the 2016 - 2018 model year vehicles, i.e. 14.1 - 14.3 kWh usable out of a total capacity of 18.4kWh.

·
Registered
568 Posts
GM has been manufacturing the Gen 2 Volt for 3 years and with the increasing technology in this field GM may now have the technology to do so.
They've had the 'technology' to do it since the first Volt was built, but adding usable capacity without increasing battery pack size would cause the pack to wear out or malfunction sooner, so it would be a trade-off of being able to advertise a longer range vs the cost of increased warranty claims

Since many Volt owners use every bit of their battery capacity nearly every day, GM needs to be pretty careful how they balance that equation. With a pure EV where owners very seldom use every bit of the pack capacity, it's not such a big gamble. Even so, with our BEV's, we seldom run the pack below 20% SOC and we usually only recharge to 80% or so SOC with the hopes that our cars will still be functioning normally long after the 10 year, 100K battery warranty has expired

Don

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
They are very unlikely to do a modification to the battery for just 1 or maybe 2 years. They could tweak out the upper and lower ranges of the battery but at what cost? It would shorten battery life, increase likelihood of battery problems. At current settings they may be sitting on the cliff of battery longevity/reliability. Be careful what you ask for.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
They've had the 'technology' to do it since the first Volt was built, but adding usable capacity without increasing battery pack size would cause the pack to wear out or malfunction sooner, so it would be a trade-off of being able to advertise a longer range vs the cost of increased warranty claims
FYI, the mild increase (from 35 to 38 miles) from 2012 to 2013 model years was entirely due to a chemistry tweak. So sometimes you can increase capacity without physically larger cells or changing the SoC window. I believe the (undocumented) bump in 2015 was the same type of change. I am actually surprised they didn't do a tweak for MY2019 in this same way... well, maybe they did and just didn't tell us, like in 2015. We'll see once people get their hands on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That’s because the electric motors deliver maximum torque at very low speed. As a result, you can sprint away from traffic lights, and yes, you can chirp the tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts