GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we know at this time if the EPA figures are the same for the 2019 Volt as the 2018 Volt. Now that the engine is being manufacture in the U.S. I wonder if the engine and or battery had been improved for performance or efficiency. I recall that the battery was upgraded in the 2014-15 Volt to another .5 usable KWH of usable electric without any real notice from GM. I believe that the Gen 2 Volt the battery could be opened to 15 KWH usable electric, instead of the current 14 KWH usable.

Now that the only viable competitor is the Honda Clarity, although the Clarity is not 100% electric, I would expect GM to improve on the 2019 Volt for those people who are on the fence whether to buy a Volt or Clarity...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Now that the only viable competitor is the Honda Clarity, although the Clarity is not 100% electric, I would expect GM to improve on the 2019 Volt for those people who are on the fence whether to buy a Volt or Clarity...
That might be why 7.2kW charging was added to the 2019 Volt.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know the 7.2 KWH is a real plus, however it should have been standard equipment with the LT instead of a $750.00 option, I doubt if it cost GM that much more over the 3.6-3.8 KWH rate. I think GM made it an option in the LT to use up all the 3.6-3.8 KWH charging units on the shelf that are left over for the 2018 Volt. I bet the next upcoming model years the 7.2 KWH will be standard on every model.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
There is no information about improvements to the ilities (capacity, driveability, reliability) of the 2019 Volt's battery or Voltec drive train. Regen on demand has been tweaked so that is operates smoother using the paddle and when driving in L as on the Bolt, not sure if maximum regen has increased.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The current Volt already beats the Clarity in basic performance. The optional 7.2 kw charging is a good move for public charger access. I wish I had it on my Gen 1, but not enough to trade it in. Unless someone needs a bigger vehicle or wants features not available on the Volt, it's still a better choice. Clarity doesn't look like a bad choice. Just a different set of compromises.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The current Volt already beats the Clarity in basic performance. The optional 7.2 kw charging is a good move for public charger access. I wish I had it on my Gen 1, but not enough to trade it in. Unless someone needs a bigger vehicle or wants features not available on the Volt, it's still a better choice. Clarity doesn't look like a bad choice. Just a different set of compromises.

Dear Members, i am new on the forum and has a technical question about the volt electric motors (gen1). The two orange motor cables (which go to the inverter/controller unit) has a metal connectors on their loose end (the other ends are secured in the motor body). Do you know if there is any brand/type marking somewhere on the metal connectors? Sorry for being off topic. Best regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts