GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. Drove the battery empty coming home from the dealer, plugged into a JuiceBox Pro 32, at 7:45, and at 9:45, it's 95%.
Driver's seat is more comfy (Premier). Appears to still be limited to 120kW thrust and 60kW regen. Adaptive is smoother in heavy traffic. LKA is a joke, not as good as 2017, which is not a complement since LKA sort of sucked.

Might AutoX it this weekend, but I doubt it handles better or worse than 2016/2017.

Also might AutoX the new 2019 I-Pace EV400. I have a pretty good idea which will win. :p

Reactions: Volt_Tron

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Car reports FULL at 2h15m but JuiceBox says it's still charging at 2.68 kW? Eh? Cooling? Conditioning?

JuiceBox pushed a total of 16.6 kWh of wall power into it when it cut down to 0 kW at 2h25m.

Pretty much, charging after 2hr with a strong L2 charger is not worth your time if you are waiting.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Car reports FULL at 2h15m but JuiceBox says it's still charging at 2.68 kW? Eh? Cooling? Conditioning?
Thermal management, very likely. Cooling system is the only way to get heat out of the battery at any appreciable rate, and if the battery is above about 90-100F internally, it'll run the cooling system until it's down to about 75F inside, so long as it's plugged in. (It'll continue to do that for a couple of days, as needed. So in really hot weather, it'll come on for a few minutes to cool the battery again. This is for Gen 1, but 2019 is probably still doing this: https://gm-volt.com/2013/05/03/volt-battery-thermal-management-system-in-the-hot-arizona-sun/ )

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
The 2019 will charge at 7.2kW (32 amp). Going out in style!
Why do you suppose it took 8+ years tho? (1st Volt sold Dec 2010).

P.S. Our two Volts charge on 120v overnight.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Why do you suppose it took 8+ years tho? (1st Volt sold Dec 2010).

P.S. Our two Volts charge on 120v overnight.
Because for the Volt having an on-board 7.2kW charger is mostly a solution in search of a problem. Most Gen1 Volt owners charge at home using Level 1 charging. Back in 2011 almost no one had heard of Level 2 charging, especially at home. Level 2 charging at 3.6 or 3.8 kW at home for a Gen1/Gen2 Volt is adequate for most use cases.

I'm glad GM finally offered faster Level 2 charging in the Volt but if I had to pay $1500 for the privilege I would pass. I usually charge my Gen 2 Volt when the battery is at 50% SOC so it only takes ~2 hours; the same as if I was fully charging the Volt and had the 7.2kW charging capability.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ This. It can charge over night from just a 15 amp 120v wall socket when set to 12a.

But more importantly, it has a gasoline generator included with each purchase, so charging speed is not critical.

How many times have we charged it at 7kW? Twice. Normally it's parked where there is already a 16a L2 charging. Always ready in the morning.

This is why I keep referring to the Volt as the most pragmatic EV yet developed. It doesn't even tell you where you must stop and eat. Amazing!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The most important factor in the 7kW charging is remote charging.
Grabbing 25 miles while you go shopping often cost the same as grabbing 12 miles worth if they are Per Hour.
Which can make the difference between pure EV, or running in Hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Because for the Volt having an on-board 7.2kW charger is mostly a solution in search of a problem. Most Gen1 Volt owners charge at home using Level 1 charging. Back in 2011 almost no one had heard of Level 2 charging, especially at home. Level 2 charging at 3.6 or 3.8 kW at home for a Gen1/Gen2 Volt is adequate for most use cases.

I'm glad GM finally offered faster Level 2 charging in the Volt but if I had to pay $1500 for the privilege I would pass. I usually charge my Gen 2 Volt when the battery is at 50% SOC so it only takes ~2 hours; the same as if I was fully charging the Volt and had the 7.2kW charging capability.
Back when I was driving the Volt, I had to ran errands on the weekend in the morning depleting my battery and needed to go out in the afternoon. Charging at 7.2kW could have let me put enough in the battery in a couple hours to do the errands on on battery vs gas tho. Even our 2016 (6 yrs after 1st Volt) is a very slow charge.

I did put in a Blink L2. Currently sits idle as I my Tesla X plus 2 Volts would draw too many amps off my garage subpanel (60a).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Where I charge remotely, they charge by the minute not kw so the higher 7.2kw charger saves me money as well as time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I opted for the 7.2kw upgrade ( LT) for the $750 ( not $1500 as mentioned) and love the quick charge both at home and at the stores and places offering free charging.. I figured if I am going electric, then try and use all the time.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I did put in a Blink L2. Currently sits idle as I my Tesla X plus 2 Volts would draw too many amps off my garage subpanel (60a).
Well, 60 amps sounds awesome to me! Our entire electric service is only 100 amps, and the dedicated line running 85' to the detached garage is only good for 20 amps. We use a CC LCS- 20 for our 2018.

A 7.2kW charger would be of no use to us at home, without upgrading our electrical system. Still, if we could have waited one more year to buy a Volt, I would have opted for a Premier, as we did anyway, and appreciated the faster rate away from home.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
60 amps at the panel, 80% constant load, 86% efficiency, 3 miles per kWh, is 300 miles a night, or 2100 miles a week of EV fuel.

It would only take 32 amps to charge four 2019 Volts per night if they were 100% empty.

But then again, 48 amps is all it takes to charge four 2011-2018 a night if empty without buying a single EVSE. The factory ones will do 12a x 240vac with a simple modification for 2011-2015, and no modification from 2016-2019.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.