GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear doors are making noise over bumps, it seems like they aren’t closing all of the way. See video and turn up the sound, are yours like this?

I loosened the striker on the car body to try and move it inward but it has countersunk screws so it doesn’t budge.

The front doors don’t make half the noise.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Airplane

As far as I know this vehicle hasn’t had any accidents.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine may have a similar problem. My doors seem stiff when I try to shut them.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
My RR door was like that on my Gen I. The screws had come loose. I loosened them a little more, tapped the base plate in gently with a flat head punch, tightened the screws, fixed. You can mark the base plate where it meets the door frame with magic marker so you can see how much you tapped in the base rather than just guess. You don't want to move it in too much. The screws are beveled headed but that's not where you get the adjustment from, you get it from moving the base and the retainer on the inside of the frame.

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
100 Posts
My RR door was like that on my Gen I. The screws had come loose. I loosened them a little more, tapped the base plate in gently with a flat head punch, tightened the screws, fixed. You can mark the base plate where it meets the door frame with magic marker so you can see how much you tapped in the base rather than just guess. You don't want to move it in too much. The screws are beveled headed but that's not where you get the adjustment from, you get it from moving the base and the retainer on the inside of the frame.
Maybe I will give this a try. Something has been rattling and I'm thinking it's a door.

Reactions: Dizle

·
Registered
100 Posts
You sure it's not the rear hatch, you can unscrew the rubber bumpers for adjustment. Just a thought.
Could be that too - the rear hatch on mine is another whole can of worms. Doesn't shut straight and I suspect it has a bad striker. But I can't tell if the noise originates from that or the doors

Reactions: Dizle

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks this worked! I loosened the bolts and tapped the striker inward just a hair. Door shuts better but I still hear the doors moving against the weather stripping.

I suspect it’s struts/ strut mounts but my car only has 32k miles.

it’s really jarring over rough bumps. Smooth pavement and little dips/ rises in the road she rides super smooth.

I did get under the back of the car and couldn’t find anything loose. Still want to take a look at all of the strut mounts. I also lowered the tire pressure to 37 cold, from 39. Didn’t make a difference at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts