GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel that I can tap the paddle without engaging it. I don't have to "apply" the paddle to cancel CC. Any regen braking that might occur from an instantaneous light tap on the paddle is significantly less than the regen I get from "coasting" in D (I only drive in L in stop/go traffic). You might want to give it a try. If it doesn't work for you, just do whatever works best for you. Others might find this tip helpful.
I too have used the paddle to disengage the cruise control, as well as done everything else mentioned regarding regen braking. The thing is, when you have a passenger, their comfort should be taken into account too. I might play around with the paddle and driving in L sometimes, but I can see out of the corner of my eye that my wife is swaying all over the place.
The paddle, lacking proportionate control, seems more like a joke. It's ok if people like using it, but it could be better.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I too have used the paddle to disengage the cruise control, as well as done everything else mentioned regarding regen braking. The thing is, when you have a passenger, their comfort should be taken into account too. I might play around with the paddle and driving in L sometimes, but I can see out of the corner of my eye that my wife is swaying all over the place.
The paddle, lacking proportionate control, seems more like a joke. It's ok if people like using it, but it could be better.
My wife refers to L as the "barf bag gear". I only use it when D won't do the job for me.

Reactions: Zut

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I feel that I can tap the paddle without engaging it. I don't have to "apply" the paddle to cancel CC. Any regen braking that might occur from an instantaneous light tap on the paddle is significantly less than the regen I get from "coasting" in D (I only drive in L in stop/go traffic). You might want to give it a try. If it doesn't work for you, just do whatever works best for you. Others might find this tip helpful.
My understanding is that D and L are fixed levels of regen that will be applied when you disengage the throttle, and that pulling on the paddle will increase the regen level a fixed amount above the chosen D or L setting. Seems to me that tapping the paddle to disengage cruise control should apply that higher level of braking power, however briefly, than would be used by pressing the disengage cruise control button. If the tap is brief, I suspect the distinction is not really measurable in terms of kinetic energy lost by the car as the throttle is disengaged.

I commented on the potential for excess vehicle kinetic energy loss from using the paddle instead of the CC Disengage button to remind us there are consequences to be considered when incorporating a regenerative braking system tool (i.e., the paddle) into your driving and braking habits. Zut reminds us of the effect on others of driving in L, which my Volt salesman called "seasick mode ." In some circumstances the ability to drop out of cruise control and lose speed a bit faster by pulling on the paddle might be beneficial (e.g., someone pulls in front of you and cuts you off, rather than a bit of congestion ahead making it prudent to drop below cruise control speed). An ICE car driver would not have this option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If the tap is brief, I suspect the distinction is not really measurable in terms of kinetic energy lost by the car as the throttle is disengaged.
That's what I'm thinking. I don't know about measurable (with fine enough equipment, anything can be measured), but I certainly can't feel it. On my 2017 Volt, when I tap the paddle, there is a palpable click after pulling it a small bit. I believe that is the point at which the regen would kick in, if I were to pull it further. If I tap to the point of the click and hold it, after about half a second, I can feel a gentle regen begin to slow the car. (There is no click, but there is a delay before the regen braking begins.) When I tap to the click very briefly, I don't feel any slowing, other than what I would feel when letting off the accelerator.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The regen paddle isn't instantaneous. You can indeed pull it just a hair to disengage the cruise control without the car going into regen.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just a thought, maybe the useless regen paddle can be rewired as trunk release button :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a 2017 Premere in Silver ICE. Its a great car.
The Reg paddel is a non issue for me. On my car, when in D, using the Reg paddel is the same as if I were driving in 1 and letting off the accelorator.
I mostly use the Reg Paddle to knock off the cruise control as mY car was not eligible for the ACC that would become available 2 weeks after my car was built.
I generally run in Drive and not 1, I find the Regen when the accelerator is released a bit aggressive.
HOWEVER, using 1 on the high way with the front distances sensors engage becomes handy as when you are warned of being too close to the car infront of you, when the red lights flash, the cruise control is kicked off and when in 1, the REGEN will slow you down aggressively. Sort of ACC, but not.
I was not aware that the aggression of the Reg Braking would be different if in the 1 drive, I will have to try that and see whats up.
As for the economics of REGEN, I am neutral. My roads are basically flat and driving in D and easy starts to rolling and some coasting with mild regen, I have seen miles ADD on the mileage prediction meter. I have held the mile number for quite a while, where if I drove aggresively, that number would drop rather quickly.
There are also you tube vids (I assume you can trust some of them) where in stop and go traffic, a volt adds mileage to the mileage projection, not drops it, so there is some benefit. and in the VOLT we can take any additional mileage we can get.
We are all individuals so we all drive differently and have different driving habits. what works for one driver wont work for another. And terrain makes incredible differences in mileage as well. Speed is a huge factor, my town driving is mostly in the 30 mph area so electric mode is perfect. Start getting up around 40-45 and higher and the extender is a better power source.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just to add,when driving in D mode tapping/pulling the regen paddle quickly and repeatedly as you begin to plan your slowing can give the driver a good sense of the paddles ability. Modulation is key, like playing an instrument.. and fun. Simply pulling and holding it can be harsh and undesirable especially with passengers lol. Give it a try. Great opinions everyone.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I used to target my coasting to arrive at the next stop at near zero speed. Wrong. Now I still target a coast to the stop, but if I am traveling too fast to do that withi no brakes, I hit the regen to capture the most energy at the initial higher speed, while still releasing the regen when the speed is lower with enough energy to still coast to the same stop. Its obvioius That this gets some useful energy back into the battery that would otherwise have been lost to the higher air drag at the beginning of the process.
Bob
This is also a mild hypermiling technique. Slow down from the higher speed first and then coast to a stop. The idea is that if you slow down early you won't have to come to the stop as often, thus saving the energy needed to resume from a standing start.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts