GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all - pulling this old thread up because I have the same problem and am seeking advice regarding the warrranty on it.

I am in the US (Northern Virginia) I have a 2017 Volt which is out of the bumper-to-bumper but is still within the Voltec Warranty. There are two dealers close by; took it in to the first one and they said that the shifter is only part of bumper-to-bumper and not Voltec. So I took the car back home and went to read the TSB.

I called the second dealer and they were pleasant enough on the phone, even pulling up the TSB. But the service guy was adamant that warranty is only based on my VIN and that this repair would not be under the Voltec warranty.

I pointed out the following line in the TSB (page 10): "Note: Specific to the Volt model, repairs are covered under the Voltec (Electric and Hybrid Vehicle) Warranty" He contends that it is specific to specific Volts - if they don't see it in the VIN, they will not cover it under warranty and will make me pay.

This didn't seem correct so I called GM using the number in the my.gm.com account; hour or so on the phone for them to tell me (a) I'm out of bumper-to-bumper (b) they cannot see the TSB and cannot comment on it and (c) I should not trust what I read on the internet.

So how does one get this repaired under the Voltec warranty? Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
248 Posts
DEALERS SUUUUUUCK!
I had mine fixed at the dealer after the bumper to bumper expired.
It IS covered under the Voltec warranty.
Those worthless scumbags.

·
Registered
898 Posts
So how does one get this repaired under the Voltec warranty? Advice appreciated.
The dealer talking about VIN numbers is thinking about recalls, not warranty repairs. To illustrate how confused they are, let's say you brought the car in with a clearly defective battery. There is no recall about this. Would the dealer refuse to repair the car under the Voltec warranty (which very clearly covers the battery) because there is no recall listed for your VIN number? Perhaps you should bring that example up with them if they try to deal you this line of BS.

Or just keep calling different dealers until you find one that understands that the repair is covered under the Voltec warranty. My dealer did it without problem, they even mentioned upfront that it's covered when I made the appointment. My guess is that dealers that service a lot of Volts are more likely to understand that it's covered.

Or, as a last resort, I might be tempted to pay for the repair with a credit card and then dispute the charge with the bank (after trying, in writing after the repair is done and paid for, to get the dealer to refund you by citing the GM technical bulleten). If the bank sides with the dealer, threaten to sue in small claims court. Having to deal with a lawsuit often has the effect of clarifying confused minds. And if it doesn't, ask yourself whether a judge is more likely to side with you or the dealer when you point out to the judge that he/she can download the GM technical bulletin him/herself from the TSB website.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts