GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Jaguar I-Pace First Drive: A Force To Be Reckoned With

The brand-new all-electric 2019 Jaguar I-Pace is not an exceptional car. It one-ups that by being a truly extraordinary one. While it wears the Jaguar moniker, it’s fair to say that it’s representative of nearly everything an all-electric Land Rover could offer. Marrying this with the I-Pace’s sports-car-meets-SUV facade, athletic handling, exhilarating acceleration, and spacious, luxurious cabin makes for a true game-changer. Like any car, it’s not without its faults, though they’re few and far between.
Full review at Inside EVs. A few surprises are to be found here.

It's a very tempting car. :)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I was surprised to read that the I-Pace has only a 7mm thin aluminum shell underneath the vehicle shielding the battery pack. jaguar-i-pace-review-the-240-mile-luxury-sport-utility-is-everything In Detail #6 the article states:

"The 90kWh battery pack is only shielded from the road by a 7mm thin aluminum shell. It is reinforced I’m told, but I wonder if the I-PACE will have the same battery breach issues when highway debris shoots up into the underside of the car. Tesla, you’ll recall, added a titanium plate to the underside to prevent breaches and indeed it seemed to repel cinder blocks at highway speeds."

Tesla learned early on that they needed to add a titanium shield to the underside of the Model S to protect the battery pack and that was for on-road use. The prospects of an I-Pace being driven off road and suffering a catastrophic battery pack rupture and fire are all too real.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,486 Posts
I was surprised to read that the I-Pace has only a 7mm thin aluminum shell underneath the vehicle shielding the battery pack. jaguar-i-pace-review-the-240-mile-luxury-sport-utility-is-everything In Detail #6 the article states:

"The 90kWh battery pack is only shielded from the road by a 7mm thin aluminum shell. It is reinforced I’m told, but I wonder if the I-PACE will have the same battery breach issues when highway debris shoots up into the underside of the car. Tesla, you’ll recall, added a titanium plate to the underside to prevent breaches and indeed it seemed to repel cinder blocks at highway speeds."

Tesla learned early on that they needed to add a titanium shield to the underside of the Model S to protect the battery pack and that was for on-road use. The prospects of an I-Pace being driven off road and suffering a catastrophic battery pack rupture and fire are all too real.
I'm surprised to hear a 7mm sheet of aluminum being categorized as "thin". That's over 1/4" thick. I wonder whether somebody is confusing 7mm with 7 mil? Also, wasn't the titanium add for the Model S merely a narrow piece at the leading edge where it had proved particularly vulnerable because of its design?

Edit: Here's a short video detailing the changes Tesla made:

·
Registered
473 Posts
My god I am lusting over this. I haven't had a 4WD vehicle since my Audi S4. A high power 4WD vehicle is something to behold, even (and especially) in dry weather. If this thing turns out to be reliable and well vetted out of the box I think I'll have to pick one up, particularly if my local track day club does not consider it to be an SUV (they really discourage those for track driving). Then I could have some fun weekends!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I'm surprised to hear a 7mm sheet of aluminum being categorized as "thin". That's over 1/4" thick. I wonder whether somebody is confusing 7mm with 7 mil? Also, wasn't the titanium add for the Model S merely a narrow piece at the leading edge where it had proved particularly vulnerable because of its design?
Here is an article, video from the Tesla site on the strengthening of the underside of the Model S. https://www.tesla.com/blog/tesla-adds-titanium-underbody-shield-and-aluminum-deflector-plates-model-s

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, no bias in that article at all. I skip this site when scanning EV news for good reason. Here's what they actually said, buried the midst of the usual Tesla fawning:

The 90kWh battery pack is only shielded from the road by a 7mm thin aluminum shell. It is reinforced I’m told, but I wonder if the I-PACE will have the same battery breach issues when highway debris shoots up into the underside of the car.
Well that's conclusive - "but I wonder....". :mad:

Here is an article, video from the Tesla site on the strengthening of the underside of the Model S. https://www.tesla.com/blog/tesla-adds-titanium-underbody-shield-and-aluminum-deflector-plates-model-s
That's very nice. I didn't catch any specs, did you?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Wow, no bias in that article at all. I skip this site when scanning EV news for good reason. Here's what they actually said, buried the midst of the usual Tesla fawning:

Well that's conclusive - "but I wonder....". :mad:

That's very nice. I didn't catch any specs, did you?
No, just that the added protection included a rolled aluminum bar, a titanium shield. The videos demonstrated that the underside of the Tesla Model S could withstand a worst case scenario high speed impact with steel, concrete and even an alternator without damaging the battery pack.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, just that the added protection included a rolled aluminum bar, a titanium shield. The videos demonstrated that the underside of the Tesla Model S could withstand a worst case scenario high speed impact with steel, concrete and even an alternator without damaging the battery pack.
Yes I saw that. How does it relate to the Jaguar?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts

Aluminum armor works great when engineered correctly. And it's not flammable in atmospheric oxygen levels and reasonable pressure.
Titanium is nearly twice the weight, very expensive, and flammable if there is enough heat. Unlike lithium batteries, do not use water on titanium or magnesium fires, the molten liquid can explode.

Land Rover knows how to make off-road vehicles, and the i-Pace had 1.5 million miles of road testing on 200 cars as of Dec 2017. They probably checked it. And none of the i-Paces burst into flames in the off-road segments with the press.

The pack is 84.7kWh usable.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
About a year and a half after the release of the Model S, they realized they had a significant issue with their battery design. The contacts are easy short. So they up armored and raised the car up. They continue to have impact fires even after the design changes.

The Bolt has an LG battery like the i-Pace. Bolt fires in collisions are either rare or non-existent.

The i-Pace will probably has similar luck.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The I-PACE is, in my opinion, the most compelling EV released to date. I think official deliveries will start soon, and with Jaguar building their own batteries, we shouldn't see supply chain issues.

Yes... 7mm of aluminum is thick, and it provides much better corrosion resistance than steel.

Also, it's worth noting that the battery cells and chemistry used by Jaguar is very similar to that used by GM in the Bolt EV. It is far less prone to spontaneous combustion in those types of situations. The Tesla Model S battery needed that type of titanium plate because punctures by foreign objects could not only be catastrophic for the vehicle, they could also be potentially lethal for the driver and passengers.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the 7mm is apparently a non issue to Jaguar if they allowing journalist to offroad them. that course wasn't a simply bump in the lawn.

the biggest threat to Tesla wasn't them going bankrupt before becoming profitable was in failing to execute properly to allow established names to debut good products. this looks better inside and out than any Tesla offering. As for the special sounds... time will tell

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
OK,
Fake engine noise = Silly....
Enhanced silence with ANR = Awesome!

Looks they went cheap and easy like Tesla by 'Demanding' it be driven '1 Pedal Style'.
The Brake Pedal is only a Friction Brake Pedal.

GM is still the leader in making Normal to Drive EV's.
Engineering a Blended Brake Pedal must be demanding.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
OK,
Fake engine noise = Silly....
Enhanced silence with ANR = Awesome!

Looks they went cheap and easy like Tesla by 'Demanding' it be driven '1 Pedal Style'.
The Brake Pedal is only a Friction Brake Pedal.

GM is still the leader in making Normal to Drive EV's.
Engineering a Blended Brake Pedal must be demanding.:rolleyes:
0.2 g is generated by the accelerator.
0.2 g is generated by the brake pedal.
Max regen is 0.4 g.

You can set it to either creep or one-pedal driving.
It has anti-skid for the regen system.

Best anyone can figure is if you set it at 1/2 strength regen, it only applies to the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
0.2 g is generated by the accelerator.
0.2 g is generated by the brake pedal.
Max regen is 0.4 g.

You can set it to either creep or one-pedal driving.
It has anti-skid for the regen system.

Best anyone can figure is if you set it at 1/2 strength regen, it only applies to the accelerator pedal.
I'm not sure what you are saying here...?

>Are you saying you CAN'T coast when your foot is off the Go Pedal? It goes to 0.2 G deceleration?
>You DON'T get Max Regen using the Brake Pedal only?
>'Creep' is a seperate function not related to how and when the Regen is happening.

I'm just curious why certain EV's Demand the driver Adopts a new driving style,
and this is ONLY promoted as a good thing in the auto press.

I enjoy taking my foot off the Go Pedal and coasting in my GM EV while fidgeting with myself!:p
And getting MAX Regen simply by using the Brake Pedal.

'Blended Brakes' is an amazing feature!
(And evidently difficult to engineer into an EV...)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I'm not sure what you are saying here...?

>Are you saying you CAN'T coast when your foot is off the Go Pedal? It goes to 0.2 G deceleration?
>You DON'T get Max Regen using the Brake Pedal only?
>'Creep' is a seperate function not related to how and when the Regen is happening.

I'm just curious why certain EV's Demand the driver Adopts a new driving style,
and this is ONLY promoted as a good thing in the auto press.

I enjoy taking my foot off the Go Pedal and coasting in my GM EV while fidgeting with myself!:p
And getting MAX Regen simply by using the Brake Pedal.

'Blended Brakes' is an amazing feature!
(And evidently difficult to engineer into an EV...)
In high regen mode, it will decel at 0.2g when you lift.
In low regen mode, it will decel at a lower value, that is unspecified.

But it has blended brakes. No EV so far has more powerful regen.

GM EV's will coast if you put them neutral. The i-Pace might also.

But GM EVs do regen some when you lift. Not full regen but some.

When you combine lifting and hitting the brake you can get 0.4 g of regen from the i-Pace. That's a lot.

Go to 12 minutes to hear the i-Pace system discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=718&v=MocHcoBm4bU

This is what EVs are currently (har) doing:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...-nissan-leaf-sl-vs-tesla-model-3-long-range/#

Go down the page a bit, you'll see a Bolt maxes at 0.26g and a Model 3 Tesla at 0.16g.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts