GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a brand new 2019 Volt LT that I have had for a few months. I can not for the life of me figure out how I can/or if I am able to contact my garage door opener to the car? Some new cars have a button one can push within the car to automatically open the garage door.

Am I able to do this or do I just use the garage door opener that I received from the garage door company?

·
Registered
619 Posts
GM offers a replacement rear view mirror that you can buy as an add-on accessory that will give you the buttons.

In late 2017 and in early 2018, we were in limbo while GM finalized this plan and toyed around with shipping a kit to put the buttons in the overhead console, like they do on the Malibu. (It looks like they chose the higher profit/lower effort rear view mirror option for us.) https://accessories.chevrolet.com/p...with-auto-dimming-rearview-mirrors)-84350235?

If you want the overhead panel version, it can be done, probably for a little more money unless you can find the used parts. See post #26 and onward in this thread: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...omelink-Garage-Remote-Kit-is-comming!!!/page3

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. I have the buttons in my 2014 Volt (they were standard and my Volt was a base model). Such an important feature, that GM could provide at low cost.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Cheap option: double-stick tape the opener fob just behind the center screen. (or anywhere else you like) It's out of sight of driver and can be operated without looking.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Honestly, I 've never understood why this is a such a big deal (using the garage door opener remote that comes with the garage door lift kit.) OK, if your home has an electric gate, multiple garage doors each with its own opener then Homelink is the better solution. I don't have to control more than one garage door lift mechanism. I can easily take the remote out of the vehicle for added security when away from home. With my 2018 LiftMaster opener I can now operate the garage door from my phone.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Honestly, I 've never understood why this is a such a big deal (using the garage door opener remote that comes with the garage door lift kit.)
There's a lot of value in having a solid button in a permanent location, that is partially lit up, that you can quickly punch and go.

If you were to spend a few minutes in my alley, you'll definitely understand. There are folks scoping out the garage to steal stuff, traffic coming and going that we quickly need to get out of the way of, drugged whinos looking to make trouble, etc. Being quick on the garage button pays off...

Some people also like the looks. Many don't understand why people would buy a Ferarri or Bugatti, either.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I did not realize it was Mad Max in Chicago.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Whinos? They deal in whine?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I have to run a somewhat different gauntlet when approaching my garage: Up the hill, avoid the recycle cans; in fall I need to navigate past the leaf piles; get eyed suspiciously by at least 3 sometimes as many as 9 white tail deer; avoid the squirrels and the chipmunks, watch out for bunnies. Having successfully made it this far I approach the garage. Stop at the bottom of the driveway and press the remote. Scan across the garage entrance for Larry * who may be sunning himself (herself) where the driveway becomes the garage floor slab. If Larry is in the way, get rake and gently move Larry aside. Park Volt.

* Larry is the black rat snake that has taken up residence near, sometimes inside my garage.

Reactions: Dizle

·
Registered
619 Posts
They whine when they don't get their drugs.
Exactly!

I did not realize it was Mad Max in Chicago.
It's not a lot different than any other City, but after a police involved shooting a few years ago, the authorities stopped arresting people for anything - then it went full Mad Max. (Except having prior offenses and when bullets are involved - although they aren't 100% there. We had a positive ID on a shooter in front of our house who unloaded 13 rounds into a passing car, grazing the driver, and the police didn't even knock on their door.)

I have to run a somewhat different gauntlet when approaching my garage: Up the hill, avoid the recycle cans; in fall I need to navigate past the leaf piles; get eyed suspiciously by at least 3 sometimes as many as 9 white tail deer; avoid the squirrels and the chipmunks, watch out for bunnies. Having successfully made it this far I approach the garage. Stop at the bottom of the driveway and press the remote. Scan across the garage entrance for Larry * who may be sunning himself (herself) where the driveway becomes the garage floor slab. If Larry is in the way, get rake and gently move Larry aside. Park Volt.

* Larry is the black rat snake that has taken up residence near, sometimes inside my garage.
The City and County have doubled our property taxes in the past two years, so that's put us over the cliff and we are getting ready to trade for a new type of gauntlet in a new place... (But I still need a quickdraw garage remote in the meantime.)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Honestly, I 've never understood why this is a such a big deal (using the garage door opener remote that comes with the garage door lift kit.)
I can think of a couple of reasons. One is that garage door lifts usually come with two remotes. What if you have 3 or 4 cars, and don't always want the same ones in the garage? Then you're constantly swapping remotes back and forth, or you'd have to buy another remote. It would all be much easier if your car comes with HomeLink.

In my case, the gate at my parking lot at work is operated by a keyfob remote. It's a minor PITA to dig it out of my pocket as I approach the entrance. My other car (which I rarely drive to work - love my Volt!) has HomeLink, and it's a dream to just press the button on the mirror.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The mirror option has already been posted, but there's another: the Malibu and Buick Lacrosse (maybe a couple other vehicles) use the same overhead console and have a Homelink option. About two weeks ago I followed the instructions posted in another thread and installed one...piece of cake. The console was about $65 on ebay, the wiring harness was about $35, and you can get 100+ of the wiring t-taps (you'll use three) for less than $10 on amazon. Buick's website has a great video on programming it, that took less than 2 minutes.

It works great, and I love not having the clunky universal remote on the visor any more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi. I have a brand new 2019 Volt LT that I have had for a few months. I can not for the life of me figure out how I can/or if I am able to contact my garage door opener to the car? Some new cars have a button one can push within the car to automatically open the garage door.

Am I able to do this or do I just use the garage door opener that I received from the garage door company?
You can look around on Ebay for a Homelink unit. I installed one on my 2017 and it works flawlessly. There is a link on this site titled 'G2 Garage Door Opener: Teksavy's homelink installation'. Great step by step instructions. Pretty easy install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Volt with less than 30K miles on it. Know little about the car, but so far the wife loves it. No built in garage door access button? Too new a car not to have; that is like selling a car without Bluetooth or USB outlets.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Did you see the link in post #2? The built-in garage button is an easy add. (Even easier if you want it on the rear view mirror.)

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
548 Posts
We clipped the original garage door opener to the driver-side visor. Easy-peasy and at no added cost. It actually has a bit stronger transmitter than the one that was in our 2013 Volt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts