GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not electric or even hybrid but Ford has opened up the online configuration tool for the 2019 Ranger, including pricing. Perhaps you are considering a replacement for your current truck or are just curious.

No vehicle specifications yet.

Two body styles: Extended Cab with 6 ft bed and Crew Cab with 5 ft bed.
Available in XL, XLT and Lariat trim levels
One engine (2.3L 4-cylinder Ecoboost)
One transmission (10 speed automatic)
Optional electric locking rear axle
Optional 4-wheel drive

The online configurator does not include the 2020 Bronco.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I would consider a Ford Ranger if it was a hybrid or electric. Ford has both systems in production and it is only a managerial decision to add a hybrid and/or electric version to the production line.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Looked at the new Ranger. Not for me. Cramped interior. Even if it was a EV... Which it isn't. I'll stick with my larger trucks. Ohh and this was an XLT that stickered in the $40s...

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would you compare the interior room of the Ranger with your Volt? I'm 5'9, 300 lbs. I find the interior of my 2017 Volt to be just enough room.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
A friend of mine is taking delivery this week of a loaded one. I'm anxious to see it myself. I owned a Ranger from '88 to '05.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Father owns a 2007 or 2008 Ranger, it is a stick shift and they have kept it around because they can flat tow it behind their motor home. I am curious if the new ones can be towed like that

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new 2019 Ford Ranger is only available in the US with the 2.3L 4-cylinder Ecoboost engine and 10-speed automatic transmission.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
How would you compare the interior room of the Ranger with your Volt? I'm 5'9, 300 lbs. I find the interior of my 2017 Volt to be just enough room.
I didn't see this until now... I didn't fit into our Volt all that well and we are close to the same size when I was driving it. I've since slimmed down to 212 pounds - although I am still 5-11. The issue is more with the back seat area where my now teenage going on adult kids would be sitting. One thing that it would be OK with it getting in and out, my knees and hips don't work all that well and being low to the ground I have to use the roof and door to stand up... I don't have that issue in SUVs and Trucks. But that's a problem uniqe to me. My wife just doesn't like being low to the ground, especially when she is driving and I get that, as the snow piles up on the corners and you can't see.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I will add that we had a ranger as a loaner vehicle for 2 weeks. Still not a truck for me, especially at the $45k MSRP the loaner was. I did, however, get pretty decent mileage with it - 20+.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
So I read the Ranger is scheduled for a major refresh, as the current design dates from 2011. I rode in and drove my friend's Lariat and it's OK but doesn't wow me. Paging through the menus I found he has averaged 22 mpg.

Personally, a smaller truck suits me as it's easier to manuever in tight spaces, except in 2 things favor staying full size.
1) Lease deals are SO attractive on the full size. Fierce competition does that.
2) Fuel economy differences are less than one would expect. If you want eco, the 3.0 L diesel Silverado rates a gaudy 33 mpg highway.
What I see is that for trucks normal people can afford, electrification means mild hybrid systems like Rams e-Torque. When Rivian can make a 180 KwH version for 60K call me up.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Also, waiting to see what the new 2020 Ram Eco Diesel gets - TFL did a highway test and got 40 mpg - to the point they think something is wrong. (They fill up, drive, and then go back and fill up at the same pump and hand calculate). So waiting to see if it verifies. And also, Jeep is putting the same motor in the Wrangler and Gladiator. Hopefully Ford throws it's diesel into the new Bronco as well as the refreshed Ranger.

However, if you really want to impress me, diesel, plug-in hybrid. Diesels get amazing MPG if run at certain RPMS and will run cleaner too.

I'm waiting for all these BEV pickups too. If they are all $100k+ trucks, I just can't afford it.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
GM has a new Duramax 6 cylinder inline diesel engine offering for 2020 for the 1500 series Sierra and Silverado pickup trucks; GM trucks with the new diesel engine are supposed to be able to return >30 MPG highway. More on the GM Duramax engine here: https://www.autonews.com/sales/chevys-diesel-silverado-seeks-grab-pickup-mpg-crown

I don't believe Ford will offer a diesel engine in the Ranger in the US.

If GM can put a 6 cylinder diesel engine in the 1500 series Sierra and Silverado pickup trucks, why not the Chevy Tahoe, Suburban and GMC Yukon vehicles?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I just don't see a future for small diesel engines in the US, or Europe for that matter. It's simply too hard to get them to meet government pollution standards.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ford has offered a 3.0L V6 diesel in their F-150 for about a year; EPA rated for up to 30 MPG highway (in the 2WD configuration) Fuelly.com shows that of 46 diesel F-150 owners who log their fuel usage on Fuelly the average MPG is between 23 and 25 MPG, about the same as the 23.9 MPG road trip test result of the 2020 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel. It appears that the only way these mid-size pickup trucks are going to achieve higher MPG or MPGe is to go to a hybrid, plug-in hybrid and fully electric vehicle.

·
Banned
489 Posts
I had a 2001 Ranger base model...gas mileage same as current. And cost 9K at the time.

The new ranger? Its for suckers. Way too much $$$. Another Ford marketing disaster, forgetting why the orig. ranger sold.

Zero reason to buy the new ranger.

Eh, maybe chevy will bring back the El Camino.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
And Ram is bringing back the Dakota now too. And no one has a decent hybrid pickup out yet, much less a BEV one. (Ram's etorque doesn't could in my book as "decent"). Mid size or mini-trucks, the draw was good MPG and price. Not same MPG and close to the cost of a 1/2 ton. What will be interesting to see is just how fast Tesla's or Rivian's pickups sell. See if that changes market thinking. I know I want one...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts