GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sound is horrific, annoying , and not at all cool . The Jaguar iPace sounds a lot better . I have owned a 2012 Volt for 6 1/2 years with 125000 miles on it , even bought a 2014 Volt for my daughter and love the cars and was looking forward to the upgraded 2019 Volt but I think I am definitely going to wait until they work on that sound .Give us options or somthing. At a drive thru people are going to be pulling their hair out ,it is a VERY EMBERRASSING sound there is no way I am buying that car with it sounding like that . GM PLEASE FIX THIS , give us a selection of sounds please don’t make a great car stop selling because of this easy fix. Make it sound like something you would want to ride in thanks I’ll be waiting.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The sound is a safety feature. People who are blind rely on being able to hear vehicles and this helps them remain independent as EVs become more common.

It is also actually helpful to you in that when you are driving among pedestrians such as in a parking lot, they are less likely to block your way since they can hear that you are behind them waiting to get by. Also, it is pretty hard to hear from within the vehicle.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can hear it here.
I thought it was pretty cool. I suspect you can also remove the fuse or destroy the speaker (with liability).

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
You can hear it here.
I thought it was pretty cool. I suspect you can also remove the fuse or destroy the speaker (with liability).
In the 2019 Volt there are two pedestrian alert speakers; one in the front and one in the rear.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I don't find it annoying, I find it kind of soothing. It might put pedestrians to sleep.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Interesting sound and is something different.

Does anyone know what triggers the sound exactly?

Maybe GM could offer a selection of a couple of sound options if it is digitally generated?

·
Registered
16,17 volt
809 Posts
sounds so bad it makes my teeth hurt
wonder if it makes all the dogs and cats run from the neighborhood
how about the sound of a electric water pump that increases in speed when moving
looks to me some one is trying to inventing the wheel again

·
Registered
294 Posts
Agree that it is very annoying. I couldn't imagine how annoying it would be if the Volt were to become popular. I understand it's a safety feature to help the blind but I'm not sure torturing their dog is the right way to go about doing it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I like it as well, but if it is supposed to sound like there is a car there, why wouldn't they just make it sound like an ordinary car? Seems like the obvious choice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I want to change the sound on my 2018 to be like a bicycle with playing cards against the spokes...

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think it is very cool.....but I am sure it won't be long before you will be able to select from some app different tones that are more to your liking.....just liking choosing your ring tones on your phone!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
...and, not to worry if you live in South Beach, most locals will have there stereo turned up so loud that you could not possibly miss them :)........

·
Registered
95 Posts
I. HATE. IT!

One reason I love my Volt is that it's whisper quiet (after the fuse "blew" lol). Imagine a cityscape full of electric cars, all emitting this annoying noise pollution. I hate it. I hate it!!!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Well, if you really want to make the pedestrians move out of the way, I'm thinking the heat ray sound from The War Of The Worlds.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Can't you just pull the fuse like I did on my 2017 (which had more of a fan/hissing sound)? Took all of maybe 15 seconds to pull the fuse. I'm just hyper aware of pedestrians with it turned off.

Mike

·
Registered
354 Posts
We have indoor equipment at work with back-up beepers set for loud, outdoor environments. A little masking tape over the horn mutes them to a tolerable volume.

There are enough 'phone walkers' and 'earbud pedestrians' that I am reluctant to go without some kind of ambient noise...all though there is no hope for the earbud people.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts