GM Volt Forum banner

2019 Chevy Volt not Moving not starting, transmission stuck, not charging ……

1477 27
Hi , I left my 2019 Chevy volt at the Garage and went out side the country for almost 40 Days , when I came back i found the volt‘s battery ( main and the 12v ) at zero charge , changed the 12v battery , but nothing change , screen showing the ( battery fault and will shutdown soon ) the power steering is not working, engine not working , the transmission is locked on P and not moving , not Accepting charging , ….. I tried to reset the batteries by scanner but the device can’t connect to the main battery …. We don’t have a dealer for Volt , any Advice please .. thanks
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start with a new 12v battery and not just charging the old one. once you have that, the car should at least be able to get scanned for codes.
Well i replaced the 12V battery with any one . Tried with the scan tool , Ive got 43 code , when i tried to remove the codes , the tools said failed to communicate with the battery ! So no DTC removed .tried to charge the High Voltage Battery , but said not able to charge , the transmission is locked on P , so I removed the lock manually as i have to pull the car on the side so i can use my other car was blocked behind . Maybe if the main batteries canbe charged by any other way , maybe that would solve the problem .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well i replaced the 12V battery with any one . Tried with the scan tool , Ive got 43 code , when i tried to remove the codes , the tools said failed to communicate with the battery ! So no DTC removed .tried to charge the High Voltage Battery , but said not able to charge , the transmission is locked on P , so I removed the lock manually as i have to pull the car on the side so i can use my other car was blocked behind . Maybe if the main batteries canbe charged by any other way , maybe that would solve the problem .
Post the code you got when you scanned the car. Make sure no rodents got into your wiring would be my next suggestion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would take the car in to get serviced. you said you changed the 12v battery to a new one so that must not be it. Maybe the cells got too low when you were gone and that's causing an issue but i own a 2012 that sat for 3 years without charging and the cells were fine. sorry i can't assist further as my knowledge is very limited.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would take the car in to get serviced. you said you changed the 12v battery to a new one so that must not be it. Maybe the cells got too low when you were gone and that's causing an issue but i own a 2012 that sat for 3 years without charging and the cells were fine. sorry i can't assist further as my knowledge is very limited.
Thanks for trying to assist .

·
Registered
2011 Highlander Hybrid, 2017 Volt Premier
113 Posts
Here is the report , thanks for support
The car won't start or charge untill you clear the permanent DTCs.
You need to take the HV battery off the vehicle and inspect the harness and the cells inside.

❗This work is not only a complex one, but is a dangerous one due to high battery voltage.

·
Registered
431 Posts
What was the charge state of the battery when you left the car sitting? It looks like many of the battery cells dropped below the minimum voltage allowed by the computer. Was the battery at zero range when you left it?
Hopefully, the DTCs can be re-set and the battery charged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was the charge state of the battery when you left the car sitting? It looks like many of the battery cells dropped below the minimum voltage allowed by the computer. Was the battery at zero range when you left it?
Hopefully, the DTCs can be re-set and the battery charged.
Was not zero for sure , but the 12V was dead , when i replaced the 12v battery , engine didn’t run and was showing Battery Fail , will shutdown soon . Then the power steering was down , sure was hard to turn the Car , then trans. Was not responding then it get a Stuck on P . I tried to charge it , but it says the not able charge ….i will try to upload some more reports i did yesterday .

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was not zero for sure , but the 12V was dead , when i replaced the 12v battery , engine didn’t run and was showing Battery Fail , will shutdown soon . Then the power steering was down , sure was hard to turn the Car , then trans. Was not responding then it get a Stuck on P . I tried to charge it , but it says the not able charge ….i will try to upload some more reports i did yesterday .

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for al these reports , but just to study the full case …

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
289 Posts
CaptinComp,

What does Onstar say, did you contact them? Your car is a 2019 and I'm sure it's 100% warranty covered. With the main battery or any major EV component throwing codes. the main contactor would not close and connect the HV battery. This runs your power steering, A/C and a few other things. This is a Voltec warranty issue and beyond user servicing, push the Onstar button in the car and let us know how you made out.

Stephen

Hi , I left my 2019 Chevy volt at the Garage and went out side the country for almost 40 Days , when I came back i found the volt‘s battery ( main and the 12v ) at zero charge , changed the 12v battery , but nothing change , screen showing the ( battery fault and will shutdown soon ) the power steering is not working, engine not working , the transmission is locked on P and not moving , not Accepting charging , ….. I tried to reset the batteries by scanner but the device can’t connect to the main battery …. We don’t have a dealer for Volt , any Advice please .. thanks

·
Registered
2011 Highlander Hybrid, 2017 Volt Premier
113 Posts
What does Onstar say, did you contact them?
He's outside the USA. The car was salvaged and sold on IAAI to the UAE.

I can think of a bad BECM or some connection problems with its connectors. The only way to diagnose is to open the HV battery and inspect the harness and the BECM. Maybe it has some internal damage

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
289 Posts
dvb,

Your'e right!, I didn't catch that. Maybe an Opel Ampera dealer could help if they have one of those there. But with a salvage history I don't know if there would be any free help. He certainly has a problem where he is.

Stephen

He's outside the USA. The car was salvaged and sold on IAAI to the UAE.

I can think of a bad BECM or some connection problems with its connectors. The only way to diagnose is to open the HV battery and inspect the harness and the BECM. Maybe it has some internal damage

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
289 Posts
I would check the coolant levels under the hood and also the "check" plug on the bottom of the battery pack. If water drips out of there it might point to the problem. Download the service manual (they have a link to it on this site somewhere) and start reading....

Stephen

1 - 20 of 28 Posts