1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2019 CHEVROLET BLAZER FIRST LOOK: REINVENTING THE SUV FOR A CUV WORLD
Five-passenger Blazer slots between the Equinox and Traverse
Alisa Priddle Words, Manufacturer PhotosJune 21, 2018

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-chevrolet-blazer-first-look-reinventing-suv-cuv-world/

The five-passenger crossover comes in three trim levels including the sportier and blacked-out RS and the more upscale Premier, both with optional 21-inch wheels instead of the standard 18s. Chevy tried to give each trim a distinct look with changes to the grilles and trim pieces.
Of the 17 competitors in the segment, most offer a third row. The Blazer will not, joining the Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, Jeep Grand Cherokee and the body-on-frame Toyota 4Runner.
The base engine is GM’s 193-hp, 188-lb-ft 2.5-liter inline-four, and buyers can opt for the 3.6-liter V-6 that generates 305 hp and 269 lb-ft of torque. Both are mated to a nine-speed automatic transmission and have stop-start technology. There are no plans to add a hybrid.

The article mentions between Equinox and Traverse.
Putting sales info for both those below for comparison.

Source: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/chevrolet-equinox-sales-figures/

Source: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/chevrolet-traverse-sales-figures/

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I read a comment somewhere that the blazer fit the space between the Equinox and the Traverse. Is there really that much space there?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Bummer. I thought the Blazer was going to be derived from the Colorado. ZR2 version would have been sweet. Oh well, I hope for a Bronco FX4 or Raptor.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Maybe now that the 2019 model year flood gate has opened Chevrolet will announce the 2019 Volt and Bolt soon. Is there an Order Guide for the new Blazer?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I really don't see the point of this vehicle. I acknowledge that there are things that the Traverse can do that the Equinox can't but to stick another vehicle in that range seems to simply muddy the waters. I had a GMC Envoy (Trailblazer) and was sorry that Chevy discontinued that. The Traverse lacks adequate towing, so to throw out another model with less oomph and similar gas mileage seems pointless to me. Why not make it Voltec, and fill a new market?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Read the following about the new Blazer, "Adaptive cruise control and a rear-view-mirror equipped with a video screen are among the high tech options available, while Chevrolet says that additional electronic safety features will be announced at a later date."

ACC is not available on the Equinox. It is good to see the rear view mirror with video screen, currently available on the Bolt, on more vehicles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
New Blazer looks great!

I am so impressed with my 2012 Volt that I don't think I could ever go back to a vehicle that only runs on gasoline. Getting the Volt was the best automobile decision I've ever made. But, that being said, I see more SUV type vehicles ('family trucksters') on the road and in parking lots than any other type. So if that's where the money is being spent then Chevrolet was smart to develop this new Blazer. They've retained a familiar, traditional Chevy name and attached it to a completely new great looking model. Both the interior and exterior look really well designed and I have no doubt that we'll be seeing a lot of these on the road.

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This article talks about how they think it fits in and what the competitive vehicles are.

http://www.wardsauto.com/industry/chevy-blazer-lights-brand-s-cuv-portfolio

"We think we’ve got the right vehicle for the right people," says Alan Batey, president-GM North America. “It’s not three rows, it’s not a family hauler…We wanted an expressive design. That’s why they buy these 2-row (CUVs) and we think we’ve nailed it."

The Blazer targets buyers of competitive vehicles such as the Nissan Murano, Ford Edgeand segment-dominating Jeep Grand Cherokee. In that respect, it fills a big hole in Chevy’s CUV lineup.

It slips between the more value-oriented Equinox and family-focused Traverse, a pair of newly redesigned vehicles drawing customers by the droves as the entire market continues to favor the higher-ride and rugged looks those products offer.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Target demographic: family income $135,000.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I don't care how cushy the ride is or how many driver safety and convenience features are available on the new Blazer. I'm not ever going back to being a slave to the gas pump again at 18 - 22 MPG real world fuel economy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
There's already something in between the Equinox and the Traverse, just not in the Chevy line-up. It's the GMC Acadia.

After having a new GMC Terrain for a loaner for a month (our Acadia was in the body shop and my wife stole my Volt for the month while I drove the loaner), I have an extreme hate of that 9-speed automatic transmission that is in the Equinox and now this Blazer. It was just constantly shifting and looking for gears. It was particularly annoying coming from a vehicle that doesn't shift gears at all.
Between the transmission and the start/stop technology (that you can't easily disable), it wasn't an enjoyable driving experience. It's too bad too, because I liked the car otherwise.

I do like the design of the Blazer front end. I haven't been a fan of this last version of the Chevy design language. That's one of the reasons I bought a Gen 1 Volt over a Gen 2 Volt (and a GMC Acadia over a Chevy Traverse).

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
... I have an extreme hate of that 9-speed automatic transmission that is in the Equinox and now this Blazer. It was just constantly shifting and looking for gears. ...
Wow, that is the opposite of what I would expect. I thought the more speeds (9) would have been smoother and barely noticeable.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Wow, that is the opposite of what I would expect. I thought the more speeds (9) would have been smoother and barely noticeable.
You can only make an automatic so smooth. Hyundai's 6 speed transmission on their PHEV took them out of the running for me.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
No surprise given the American demographic. All anybody wants is an SUV/CUV. So the more offerings you have, the better. They could probably cram a few more models in there before being done.

When it gets a Voltec drive train I'll consider one.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
No surprise given the American demographic. All anybody wants is an SUV/CUV. So the more offerings you have, the better. They could probably cram a few more models in there before being done.
Impala out, Blazer in.

I drove a diesel Cruze with the 9 speed auto. I thought the shifts were very smooth and very fast. Combine the low end torque of the diesel with that transmission and it's much like driving a Volt, TBH.

·
4,879 Posts
You can only make an automatic so smooth. Hyundai's 6 speed transmission on their PHEV took them out of the running for me.
Unless it’s a CVT. The Subaru Outlander for example.

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
When it gets a Voltec drive train I'll consider one.
Or Boltec drivetrain.... or Voltec/Boltec in a Subyukonade or Silverado!!!

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Unless it’s a CVT. The Subaru Outlander for example.
Wait, outlander is Mitsubishi. You must mean Outback. And for those who want more towing than the outback can haul, there’s the all-new Subaru Ascent. I just saw my first Ascent in the wild, a blue one driven by a soccer mom waiting for her kids at a grade school.

·
Registered
206 Posts
There's already something in between the Equinox and the Traverse, just not in the Chevy line-up. It's the GMC Acadia.
I thought the Acadia was the GMC version of the Traverse. Like the Yukon is the GMC version of the Tahoe...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts