GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new 2019 Premier 12/15. Looking for advise on improving charging speed. I have a $250 quote for adding a 240v outlet in my garage. What amp breaker should I have them put in? And what 240v charger provides a a reasonable recharging time for the price?

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
I picked up a new 2019 Premier 12/15. Looking for advise on improving charging speed. I have a $250 quote for adding a 240v outlet in my garage. What amp breaker should I have them put in? And what 240v charger provides a a reasonable recharging time for the price?
If you are getting the 7.2 kW charging option, then you'll need a dedicated circuit (nothing else on that circuit) with a 40 Amp breaker and the wire sized accordingly (probably #8 or #6 gauge depending on run length).

Clipper Creek, Siemens, and others make EVSE's that will support 7.2 kW, 240V. Those would be the two I would look at, others will have other preferences I'm sure.

The outlet for my $440 Siemens VC30GRYU VersiCharge is a Nemma 6-50R. receptacle. Not sure what the comparable Clipper Creek model uses, maybe the same.

Buy the unit before the receptacle, or get the details on the receptacle needed for your EVSE before having a receptacle installed. And don't forget the make sure the wire from the breaker to the receptacle supports the load.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
You will need a minimum of a 40 amp breaker, 240V circuit to charge your 2019 Volt Premier at the maximum charging rate (7.2kW).

The simplest would be a hard-wired installation of a Level 2 EVSE such as the ClipperCreek HCS-40 on a dedicated 40 amp, 240V circuit. Nothing to plug or unplug, the EVSE would be directly wired into the circuit (depending on your local codes this may require a service disconnect switch located near the EVSE.)

Next would be to install a 50 amp, 240V dedicated circuit with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The 14-50 has become a very popular 240V plug for use with Level 2 EVSE. The advantage of the plug is that you can easily remove the EVSE without the help of an electrician should you decide to upgrade or relocate the EVSE later or for repair. The ClipperCreek HCS-40 and HCS-50 EVSE are both available with a NEMA 14-50 plug. (ClipperCreek now sells factory refurbished used EVSE equipment, this saves you some $.) Other brands of EVSE to consider include Chargepoint and Juicebox. A 50 amp circuit and a NEMA 14-50 receptacle is the most flexible option, unless your electrician tells you that your home and electrical service panel will not support a 50 amp circuit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
40 amp circuit is sufficient for 7.2kW charge rate. Consider going to a 50 amp circuit (with appropriate size wiring of course) if you want to future proof someday for a car with a faster charge rate or if you want to buy an EVSE now that can deliver up to 40amps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts