GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of Priuses in my neighborhood have had their catalytic converters stolen. Do I need to worry about this for my 2019 Volt?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not really.
The Prius converter is much more easily accessed under the car with a simple jack and then cut it out.
Takes about 60 seconds tops.
The Volt converter is up in the engine compartment in front of the engine just below the exhaust manifold.
In addition, it is covered by the Volt's under body areo cover.
So even if they somehow jacked up the Volt high enough, they would then also have to get thru the aero cover, and then even if they were able to cut the downstream part of the exhaust to get the converter, they would have no way to cut at the top of the converter to get it out.......
They wold then have to get the hood open and then remove the exhaust manifold to get the cat out......
In short, your cat is fine.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The majority of the GM passenger cars I've seen have had the convertors in the same place. Not sure if the placement in front of the engine was a smart move on the part of GM to prevent theft or it was just a fluke.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cats work better when hot, so closer to the engine, quicker it gets hot.

Added bonus harder to steal!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
A number of Priuses in my neighborhood have had their catalytic converters stolen. Do I need to worry about this for my 2019 Volt?
I wonder what's going on that they're being stolen. The amount of Platinum in a cat isn't normally worth stealing.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wonder what's going on that they're being stolen. The amount of Platinum in a cat isn't normally worth stealing.
In my experience, something about the design makes their avg life about 120- 150,000 miles. At least that seems to be the case with Tundras and Tacomas. Toyota converters are expensive, and states like Ca won't let you install aftermarket cats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts