GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday, I picked up a 2019 Volt Premier that I ordered. It was all working great until Sunday, when I put the car in reverse the backup cam on the screen started to show all messed up on the infotainment screen. Proceeded to complete my drive (only a couple of miles) and the Infotainment system rebooted, twice. Still didn't think much of it, thought maybe it was Apple Car Play (never used it before). Played with it for a little bit when I got home and then a "service rear backup cam system (something like that)" message came up on the infotainment system.

Drove it to work on Monday, only a couple of miles away and it rebooted again, this time with no Apple Car Play. Took it into the dealer. GM agreed to the new back up cam, but wanted more test done on the infotainment system. By Tuesday afternoon, GM agreed to grab a new infotainment system, update it and send it down. It appears mine was stuck on an old version of software and wouldn't update. Radio/cam arrived on Thurs.

Dealer called, new radio/cam is having the same problem. GM engineer/tech is coming to dealer next Wed. It sounds like this could be a known issue but this is the first one that GM will be able to get their hands on. Lucky me. Just thought you would all like to know.

·
Registered
248 Posts
We're getting our new 2019 Premier (with Infotainment 3 + Navigation) next week. We'll let you know what happens.

They're keeping your car all of this time they're troubleshooting?

(As an aside, we have a Cadillac CTS that has the same "new" Infotainment 3 system that GM is rolling out across the brands, with obvious model/brand differences. It received an over-the-air update last July that included a rear camera patch, although we had not experienced any issue with the rear camera.)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Sounds like they are still working out the glitches. Appreciate the heads-up.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sounds like they are still working out the glitches. Appreciate the heads-up.
For the record, my 2019 has been flawless so far. Comforting since it's a replacement for my '17 that GM bought back as a lemon.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The service rear cam thing has been going around since 2016. Sad that it sounds like it is still not solved in 2019. Mine gives that message on rare occasions but it's usually when I'm backing out of the garage when the sun is directly behind the car so I've learned to just ignore it. At least with mine, it never shuts off: just gives the message after the camera appears to jiggle/stutter a bit in the bright light.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2019 Premier is also working trouble-free...except that sometimes Carplay won't connect right away. I have to unplug and replug in the phone.

Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Just clarification, small update.

I dropped the car off for service on Monday and picked it backup on Friday with a new backup cam and radio. I'm supposed to drop it back on this Wednesday when a GM engineer/tech is coming to the dealership. Original radio was on version 505 and wouldn't update. GM sent a new one down with 507. By the time the dealer installed the new radio, it updated to 509.

My backup cam originally was glitching, however, maybe I made a bigger deal than what it was. I was playing with it in my garage with the door shut after I first notice the problem and that is the only time I noticed the service backup cam message. Maybe I caused it.

Also, I have been trying to think what I might have done since I first started driving it. Last Saturday, for whatever reason, when I was playing with the settings, I started giving everything permissions. Camera, anything. This seems to run some version of Android or Linux and just thought it couldn't hurt to give everything permissions. One thing I forgot to mention is that after I picked the car back up on Friday, it occasionally will now glitch when just driving in forward gear, even if I turn the radio off. I have been thinking and even more so now, that it seems like a software or driver problem not some electrical interference that the dealer thinks.

Anyhow, I noticed since I picked it up, that all the settings were maintained in the new radio. Don't know how, but everything was saved (and I assumed the permissions as well). Today, I went in the car and it started to glitch just in park, so I factory resetted everything I could. All the permissions have been resetted to defaults as well. Since I have done this, I haven't noticed any glitching. Too early to say for sure but that would be something if I caused all of this by setting permissions haphazardly.

Edit: Stupid me that wasn't it. Weird that it glitches when the car is not even on. It was plugged in though.

Edit 2: Here is a link so you can see what the NEW radio is doing now.
https://youtu.be/BExUsItsus4

·
Registered
248 Posts
Update: We took delivery of our 2019 Volt. So far all systems are performing as expected, including the backup camera.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's good to hear. Hopefully nobody else runs into this but if they do, hopefully this thread will become useful. I believe the HMI is the problem. Either something with the memory or software or a combination of the two. The field service tech from GM is supposed to be here shortly, so it will be interesting to see what he thinks. I do know that he will be running some tests on it to better help the GM engineers resolve a few of these issues that supposedly have been popping up. I was able to make the problem stop and I think go away, but I don't know if it will come back again. But I could make the problem stop immediately by factory resetting the radio, then it usually came back next restart. Anyhow, I will post an update once I hear feedback from the field service tech.

Update: They think the wifi antenna cable is routed to close to one of the HMI power cables. They are going to reroute it and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well I experienced something similar. My HMI module failed and they replaced it (blank screen - no response from audio system). The day after, in reverse, got a scrambled video feed from the rear camera. Stopped / restarted the car. Problem disappeared. Day after, same thing but I got the message "service rear backup cam system". Restarted the car. Problem gone again. After one or two weeks, this intermittent problem was gone for good with no intervention from my part. 5 months now and never had the problem again.
2017 Premier.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Anyhow, I noticed since I picked it up, that all the settings were maintained in the new radio. Don't know how, but everything was saved ...
That seems odd to me. If the radio was replaced, all the settings should be at the default values. Maybe they did not replace the radio. Either on purpose, maybe because they got the old radio to update, or by mistake, maybe by mixing up the two radios. If the latter, you may still need a new radio to fix the problem.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The new Infotainment 3 system can store user setting to the GM cloud. It is possible that this allows the settings to be downloaded when hardware is swapped. Just a thought...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

They moved the wifi antenna wire away from the power wires going into the radio. We will see if this fixes the problems. So far so good. The radio was definitely replaced, the Sirus/XM radio id changed. I did forget to ask how the settings were kept from the previous radio. Here is a couple things I gathered:

• There is no HMI like in previous models. Everything is supposedly in the radio.
    The issue I am having has only been discovered by a few incidences.
    The tech had a private bulletin that was not able to be shared to the dealer.
    They are/already planning on running the wifi antenna wire differently in new builds.
    If this happens, supposedly, you can turn off the wifi to see if this was the cause of the problem.
    Most likely, this particular situation is only on 2019.
    Current radio software as of this posting is 509.

If I can think of anything else, I will let you guys know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a very similar issue on the 2015 that I've had for about 4 months now. The "infotainment" console would reboot at random and switch back to FM radio as the default input (can you change that?? all I listen to is audio books via Bluetooth.) If you were in navigation it would reset - it was like the system had just powered on. I figured out that hard braking, going over a speed bump, or even a sharp turn would induce it, so I was pretty sure it wasn't a software problem. Took it to one dealer who charged me for a "diagnostic" fee followed by a software update fee for "four radio software updates", but it happened again on the way home from the dealer (DuTeau Chevrolet in Lincoln, Nebraska, for anyone looking to avoid getting screwed on their Volt service). Shortly after that, the car wouldn't "start" because the 12V battery was dead. I put 2 and 2 together, took it to another Volt dealer's service department, and suggested they look for a mechanical problem - loose wire or connector or something. They found that the 12V battery had a cell that would sometimes short out. They replaced the battery and it's been fine ever since. Oh - and they also applied "four radio software updates" (sound familiar?) because the updates that the first guys charged me for were apparently not done. Husker Auto, for those keeping score at home. Also in Lincoln, Nebraska. Probably unlikely that it's the same thing, but might be worth a check.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Icon123, I appreciate the detail of your experience.

We have an ordered '19 that was built on 12/17 and we picked it up on 12/31. I observed the 'glitch' momentarily, once, a few days ago. I knew about it because an owner on a Chevy Volt group had a recurrent problem with that. She had the display replaced, I think, and hasn't reported a recurrence of the issue. That I've seen.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Last Friday, I picked up a 2019 Volt Premier that I ordered. It was all working great until Sunday, when I put the car in reverse the backup cam on the screen started to show all messed up on the infotainment screen. Proceeded to complete my drive (only a couple of miles) and the Infotainment system rebooted, twice. Still didn't think much of it, thought maybe it was Apple Car Play (never used it before). Played with it for a little bit when I got home and then a "service rear backup cam system (something like that)" message came up on the infotainment system.

Drove it to work on Monday, only a couple of miles away and it rebooted again, this time with no Apple Car Play. Took it into the dealer. GM agreed to the new back up cam, but wanted more test done on the infotainment system. By Tuesday afternoon, GM agreed to grab a new infotainment system, update it and send it down. It appears mine was stuck on an old version of software and wouldn't update. Radio/cam arrived on Thurs.

Dealer called, new radio/cam is having the same problem. GM engineer/tech is coming to dealer next Wed. It sounds like this could be a known issue but this is the first one that GM will be able to get their hands on. Lucky me. Just thought you would all like to know.
Mine is on the fritz too. It is the worst radio I have ever had. Plus have to plug in my phone for map gps directions and it is wearing out the plugin connection on the phone. The problem I am having is simple the radio is in the USA and China wants it back so we are going to have to deport the radio. Wonder how GM can save money STOP BUYING CHINESE JUNK. They dont warrentee anything do they. And they dont make spare parts for anything they sell. So because they don't, you loose. So right now my 7.2 charger dont work the radio dont work it doesn't recognize my partners phone when plugged into the car. So no map gps data and no music the ports USB and SD Card port are not working. Welcome to GM we bailed them out and how do we get repaid with JUNK.
Very tired of GM. And HATE the INFOTAINMENT system it is really bad very weak in the electronics. And updates screw up things even more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts