GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2019 Premier in February and the only option it didn't have was Adaptive Cruise Control. I've got the other driver safety packages that are required for ACC, just not ACC. How feasible would it be to change the grill, add the radar sensor, and turn on ACC?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear Verbalis,

Great question? I picked up a 2019 Volt Premier at the end of May with the Confidence package II and assumed it had ACC! It does not. Does anyone know if the Chevy dealer can install it?

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Dear Verbalis,

Great question? I picked up a 2019 Volt Premier at the end of May with the Confidence package II and assumed it had ACC! It does not. Does anyone know if the Chevy dealer can install it?
Unfortunately no, ACC cannot be added once the Volt leaves the factory.

·
Super Moderator
6,424 Posts

·
8,680 Posts
I'd say it's at least possible. Cars are still built, not grown. Question is really is the dealer (or anyone) willing to do that sort of job.
For someone with access to all the parts and documentation, who is willing to run bunches of new wiring and has access to updated code for multiple modules, sure, it can be done. But it'll cost thousands of dollars and a whole lot of man hours, and I'm not sure even a good dealer has all the parts and information to pull it off. It's not practical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the details, I'm surprised because if you have the forward collision alert feature, and the cruise control I was hoping all they needed to do is install the front grill sensor! It sucks they don't promote this as a Safety Feature!

Thanks again,

·
Registered
568 Posts
For someone with access to all the parts and documentation, who is willing to run bunches of new wiring and has access to updated code for multiple modules, sure, it can be done. But it'll cost thousands of dollars and a whole lot of man hours, and I'm not sure even a good dealer has all the parts and information to pull it off. It's not practical.
I doubt you'd have to run that much wire - Most factory wiring harnesses are fairly all inclusive . . . . plug in the new module and the wiring is usually there to support it

The problem would be finding someone willing to do the job. GM doesn't support this, so if you could find a dealer somewhere willing to do it, they'd be facing a huge legal liability if something went wrong and someone was seriously injured or killed. Because of that, no dealer in his right mind would allow anything like that to be done in their service department - If GM doesn't authorize it as a dealer installed option, they wouldn't touch it

Moral of the story - Make sure the major features you want on the car are there before you buy it. When I was shopping for a used '17 Premier, the first thing I did was to learn how to tell which cars had ACC and which ones didn't because ACC was introduced mid-year in '17 and many Premiers advertised as having "all the options" didn't have ACC . . . . and I didn't want to buy a car without it

Don

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I think it's unlikely you could find a dealer willing to do it. A clever determined individual could do it. One way might be to find a salvage car with ACC. Heck, I probably could do it, but I agree it's not practical. Easier to trade for a vehicle with the feature or do without.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
... Easier to trade for a vehicle with the feature or do without.
I would definitely choose one of these options. Trying to modify will be costly at best. At worst it could turn into a bottomless-pit type problem where you can't get the car working right again, or it malfunctions and causes an accident. Nobody has time for that. These cars are complicated enough that even doing normal, factory-supported repair work can cause significant challenges.

·
Registered
320 Posts
keep an eye on the openpilot development. IIRC there was a guy working on a dual panda setup to basically work around the factory radar, which isn't that good anyway. It would be an easy solution once working

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
593 Posts
Moral of the story - Make sure the major features you want on the car are there before you buy it. When I was shopping for a used '17 Premier, the first thing I did was to learn how to tell which cars had ACC and which ones didn't because ACC was introduced mid-year in '17 and many Premiers advertised as having "all the options" didn't have ACC . . . . and I didn't want to buy a car without it
Don, I'm looking at used 2018 Volts. How do I make absolutely sure that it has ACC? How is this called out as a package on the window sticker? Visual cues?
Thx, Will

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Visually if a Gen 2 Volt has ACC the front grill is different in appearance from a non-ACC car. The Chevy emblem in the top center of the grill is flat, not raised. The upper and lower grill inserts are an off looking beige color, like someone forgot to paint the part. (The ACC radar sending and receiving units are located behind these grill sections.) The non-ACC Volt vehicles will have a raised Chevy emblem and a faux chrome finish on the grill inserts.

At least on the 2017 Volt there is an additional button, located in the center of the left side button cluster on the steering wheel used for the cruise control settings. The center button is used to bring up a menu to select the follow distance (close, middle, far) when using ACC. You use the Up/Down buttons located in the button cluster on the right side of the steering wheel to move through the follow distance selections, then press the OK button on the steering wheel.

The vehicle's Service Parts Identification label will list the regular production option (RPO) codes. In this case you need to determine the RPO codes for DC, DC2 and KSG (full speed forward automatic braking) or if adaptive cruise control has a separate RPO code. The label may be located inside the glove box, unless they moved it again. That same sticker will have the paint code.

·
Registered
175 Posts
keep an eye on the openpilot development. IIRC there was a guy working on a dual panda setup to basically work around the factory radar, which isn't that good anyway. It would be an easy solution once working
Reading on the OpenAI, with the GMGiraffe just made me wonder - and I have not read on things in depth yet, so just wondering out loud here:

It appears the GMGiraffe replaces the existing ACC control module. That made me wonder if adding the ACC hardware, wired to the GMGiraffe would give you the same capabilities in OpenPilot as a factory ACC car, or if the OpenPilot ACC integration is dependent on other capabilities that are only present with the ACC.

Of course I am not advocating that this would be a cost-effective or practical effort. It does seem (with a casual glance) if it is replacing the ACC control module, it is only looking for the hardware to be present.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Premier that indicates in the write-up that adaptive cruise control is there. The Icon is there saying "Off". When I updated the software, the Icon was not there. I have all the packages, the spacing adjustable feature, but not the Icon. Do I still need another sensor? I was 1/2 there. The dealer said it was included. I have been had!? Other than that the vehicle is great. What does the missing sensor do?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I run OpenPilot on my 2017 premier. It is far better than the stock ACC.
OpenPilot using Kegman Fork of software allows the car to fully stop and start without intervention in stop and go traffic, a big benefit.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I run OpenPilot on my 2017 premier. It is far better than the stock ACC.
OpenPilot using Kegman Fork of software allows the car to fully stop and start without intervention in stop and go traffic, a big benefit.
Can you explain whats needed to do this, I thought the Giraffe hardware wasn't available anymore...did you 'simply?' jump out your stock ACC wiring connectors?

Thanks !

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
593 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
With OpenPilot (Kegman) no tapping resume, it does it all by itself.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I have a 2019 Premier that indicates in the write-up that adaptive cruise control is there. The Icon is there saying "Off". When I updated the software, the Icon was not there. I have all the packages, the spacing adjustable feature, but not the Icon. Do I still need another sensor? I was 1/2 there. The dealer said it was included. I have been had!? Other than that the vehicle is great. What does the missing sensor do?
It sounds like the update replaced with the wrong software somehow, installing software for a non-ACC car. I suggest taking it back to the dealer for them to fix their mistake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts