GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to let iPhone users know that the "Afterblow" control function was added to the MyVoltControl app with yesterday's release (version 1.3). (MyVoltAfterblow has been available in the Google Play Store for quite some time.)

In case you don't know what "Afterblow" is, it’s a system that GM built into your car to dry out the A/C evaporator so that it doesn’t smell when you’re using the A/C a lot. They didn’t give you a way to turn it on or off and it's off by default.

In order to use this feature of MyVoltControl, you have to have either an OBDLink MX+ or OBDLink MX-Wifi OBD adapter. These are the only adapters that include the required function.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Darin. Let me say that the vLinker is far from a clone of the MX+. I am aware of their claims, and while they did implement some of the ST command set, it’s pretty minimal. Having said that, I have had one user try it with mixed results. He found it to be very hard to get the device to connect, but could do it after several tries. Once it was connected, most of the functions worked, but not Afterblow, but we have since learned that this is because he has a 2013 and GM uses different commands for Afterblow on that year. (We are still working to fix that in MyVoltControl.) So if you have something other than a 2013, I think there’s a good chance it will work. Just be ready to return it if it doesn’t.

The US in-app purchases are a one-time purchase of 99¢ for three of the functions, and $2.99 for the Afterblow function. (If it doesn’t work with the vLinker and you don’t want to buy the much better MX+, just contact Apple and they’ll refund the $2.99 you paid.)
Barry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the reply Barry.

Well, I ordered one and tried it out yesterday. I was able to connect in BLE mode (not MX+ mode), and then MyVoltControl let me purchase & change the afterblow setting (I've got a 2016 Gen 2).

The setting seems to have stuck. I haven't actually taken the car for a drive to verify that it worked yet.

Point taken on the vLinker not being a true clone. They just made it look extremely similar.

Thanks for the price info. All quite reasonable - although as a suggestion it would be more user friendly to know what the prices are without having to buy hardware and connect the app first.

All up <$60 and maybe 10 mins work, and no trip to the dealer. Happy here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts