GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the maximum charging current the Gen 2 Volts will accept using a level 2 supply unit? We're debating whether to go to a level 2 unit but level two units come in different sizes, 20 A, 32 A 40, A etc. It doesn't make much sense to oversize if the Volt with it's relatively small battery can only charge at say 20 amps.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Both gen1 and gen2 will use a 20A circuit maximum. (15-16A actual max power draw)

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
20 A is all the (current) Volt needs. If you ever plan on a adding a second EV like the Bolt, or something else with a higher capacity, then 32 or 40A is the way to go. If you are putting in new wiring, size it for 40A. That way, you can easliy replace the EVSE in the future based on a different car. The extra cost of sizing it for 40A is small compared to the labor, and compared to replacing it in the future.

If you are using an existing, dedicated circuit, the wire size will dictate the max Amps you could safely use.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am new to all of this and learning. Do you use a #12 romex from the circuit breaker panel to the in garage EVSE or do you use a thicker wire? My run is probably about 40' maybe 50'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I have both a 20 amp 240 v circuit and 50 amp circuit that I can use. I would be inclined to just use the 20 amp circuit but let me ask you, " do you know if a Bolt or other only electric vehicle can use the 20 amp to charge or will it overload?" In other words, will the all-electric vehicle sense the lower capacity and limit it's charging rate? That way, in the off chance somebody visits they can still charge, just at a lower rate.

·
Registered
502 Posts
We have a Clipper Creek 20A L2 charger plugged into a 50A circuit, and our line voltage is usually about 249V. Last night the Bolt charged at 4.6 kW and the Volt at 3.6 kW (at different times!). Planning on getting an L2 >30A. Suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts