GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Volt on Tuesday, Engine light came on Saturday. Called onstar they said it was 2 codes the engine propulsion system not working properly and the ion battery not working properly. When starting the car I would get a message (action required put in park) put it in push start again and it goes. When I got home it said charging not available. I turned the car off and the next time I started it powered up on first shift and was able to see the charge settings. Going back to the dealer on Tuesday but wtf.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Picked up my Volt on Tuesday, Engine light came on Saturday. Called onstar they said it was 2 codes the engine propulsion system not working properly and the ion battery not working properly. When starting the car I would get a message (action required put in park) put it in push start again and it goes. When I got home it said charging not available. I turned the car off and the next time I started it powered up on first shift and was able to see the charge settings. Going back to the dealer on Tuesday but wtf.
Sorry to hear it. These things have happened with Volts, and there is no excuse, but fortunately they are few and far between. Hopefully the dealer can diagnose and fix it.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
661 Posts
Funny that no CEL comes on while it’s on the dealer’s lot. Wonder if there is a “pre-sold” override in effect?

P

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear it. These things have happened with Volts, and there is no excuse, but fortunately they are few and far between. Hopefully the dealer can diagnose and fix it.
These things happen with every manufacturer and make of vehicle. That's why the manufacturers offer a warranty. While we expect a new car to be faultless days after acquisition the reality is there are times when it happens.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
GM has steadily being decreasing its QC on the Volt--not sure why. The good thing is that your issue will be fixed and my experience is that the issues will be resolved and hopefully not reoccur.

Out of curiosity, I checked the JD Power rankings on "overall quality," which looks at first 90 days owner-reported problems. It has steadily gone down.

2011: 4 (out of 5)
2013: 3 (my first Volt)
2017: 2 (my 2d Volt)

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/Chevrolet/Volt

The scores match my own experience, regrettably. Fortunately, the powertrain quality has remained a steady "5."

2018 numbers aren't out yet, so let's hope they got their act together and yours is just a fluke.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Funny that no CEL comes on while it’s on the dealer’s lot. Wonder if there is a “pre-sold” override in effect?
I'll bet the technicians preparing the car from the dealer are doing things they would normally do, but shouldn't do on the Volt. Messing with the AGM 12V battery like it's an old school lead battery, etc.

I think they also have some Jawas come in and place restraining bolts on the cars, so that they can force us to come in for service, at will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts