GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading the various forum posts on the power adapter pigtails, I'm a little confused as to which gen2 power supplies people have used. My 2018 Volt came with 2429 1478, which doesn't seem to match what others have for earlier year models. Has anybody used the pigtail mod where you just plug the unit into a 220v outlet (I have several in my garage for my woodworking tools) with the stock 2018 charger. I've attached a picture of what I have.

IMG_5311.jpg

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
The EVSE isn't really a power supply. It's a safety device that switches the line voltage on if there are no fault conditions. There are different sizes but that's because as the current is drawn from the power supply connected to the battery in the car and through the EVSE. So the EVSE components (Relays) and charge cable size gauge must be scaled accordingly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fair statement on the EVSE not really being a power supply. OK, so how did my DIY cable go? Really well. In fact, because I already have multiple 220v circuits in my garage for equipment, it was really a piece of cake.

On the standard 110v plugin I got the following (can't figure out why the images are so small... anyhow time to completion 22:00):

IMG_2710.jpg

When I swapped out the circuit to the 220v I got the following (time to completion 17:15):

IMG_2711.jpg

:D

So, I can also now verify that the model that came with my 2018 Volt works. Still not quite as quick as a real L2 charger, in fact, I'm really not planning on using this much. I actually have an L2 charger on order, and I'll use that. But I'm a little concerned about the 16 gauge wire that is used with the stock cable. That's not really rated for 20 Amps. I'm not sure what the current draw is, but I would think at 220v it's got to be at least 20 amps (that's what my 220 is rated at, so I would think it's pulling max on that circuit.

Anyhow, thanks everybody for the links. I found some of that info, but not all of it, and I didn't find anything that mentioned my particular EVSE model.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The max current on the stock EVSE is 12 amps, be it 120 or 240. So, 16 gauge wire should be fine.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
From what has been stated before a "stock" EVSE when run at 220V would still only draw 8 or 12 amps. A L2 on your 2018 would draw 16 amps which is as much as you would want to draw from a 220v 20 amp circuit (80% of breaker value).

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've built pigtails for two 2018 Volts. My Volt bought last December 2017 and for a friend that bought his this November 2018. Both work fine and the chargers look just like the one you have in the picture aside from the numbers on the white label. The numbers in the bottom right match exactly 2325 4905.

·
Registered
627 Posts
From what has been stated before a "stock" EVSE when run at 220V would still only draw 8 or 12 amps. A L2 on your 2018 would draw 16 amps which is as much as you would want to draw from a 220v 20 amp circuit (80% of breaker value).
I'm not sure what you mean by 8 or 12 amps. When the stock charger is connected to 220V the car sees it as an L2 Station and you no longer set it at 8A or 12A. You may be correct that it will only operate at 12A vs a higher output L2 could deliver the full 16A. I believe the EVSE will limit the current delivery to its rated max output.

The reason for the faster charge rate is because the voltage is doubled (not the current)Then current remains the same. And since the onboard charger sees this as a L2 station, the onboard 8A/12A selection is not available. So it will be at the max of 12A

·
Registered
513 Posts
Fair statement on the EVSE not really being a power supply.

I'm not sure what the current draw is, but I would think at 220v it's got to be at least 20 amps (that's what my 220 is rated at, so I would think it's pulling max on that circuit.
The charger (which is built into the car) can't handle 20 amps, so your car will never draw 20 amps no matter what you plug it in to

Don

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Don. Yeah, now looking at the info, that makes sense. My L2 charger came yesterday. Now I need to install it. I'm really not sure how much faster the L2 charger is going to be. Based on the times I get at work with the charger and what I've seen from doing this, I don't think there's going to be much difference.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Thanks Don. Yeah, now looking at the info, that makes sense. My L2 charger came yesterday. Now I need to install it. I'm really not sure how much faster the L2 charger is going to be. Based on the times I get at work with the charger and what I've seen from doing this, I don't think there's going to be much difference.
About an hour faster relative to the L1/L2 convertable EVSE that ships with the Volt.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Slightly faster than when you charge at work using Level 2; most commercial 230V power is derived from a 3-phase power supply, actual voltage will be ~208V. This could be ~13% less than the 240V available at home. So it is entirely possible that charging at home on Level 2 will be 10% faster.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The stock EVSE will charge twice as fast at 240v 12A vs 120v 12A.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts