GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've posted previously about rusty rotors on my 2018 Volt. Turns out they were actually rusted (well oxidized... same thing, different name. Not orange, but white rough surface).
For two years in a row, two separate dealerships had told me that I needed to do something about my rotors (i.e. change them) on my relatively new car. I live in Canada where they salt the roads very heavily in the winter, and I leave my car outside. I thought this made no sense anyways since I've owned ICE cars before and this never happened so I called GM. After I did, I later got a call from the last dealership I got maintenance done at, who told me that they see this all the time due to regen, and that the rotors are not used much, so rust has time to accumulate. They'd contacted GM in the past about this.
Anyways, GM wanted some pictures of the rotors so I brought back the car to the dealership. They took some pictures, and brought me in the garage to show me the rotors... they were definitely not clean. Especially the side facing towards the inside of the car.
The "engineering team" at GM headquarters took like a month, but eventually they decided that they were indeed oxidized/rusted but that it was normal "wear and tear" and not covered under warranty. Well, that's bullshit to me, because, as I said, rotors shouldn't need replacing after two years. The guy on the phone made it sound as though it's possible that if GM realizes that its a common problem something could be done about it. Otherwise, they gave me a $200 gift card for my troubles.

If this has happened to you, think about calling GM to express your displeasure. The customer service people are nice to deal with. Maybe they'll even give you a few bucks. I'm actually not sure how widespread it is since I don't see it on this forum that much, but as I said, the maintenance people at the dealership seem to think it's common around here anyways.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
This has been an issue on Volts since day one in salted areas. Due to regen, the rotors don't get "scrubbed" clean during braking as much... they do use different rotors that are more rust-proof, but that can only do so much. You'll probably notice it's much worse on your rear rotors than front, right? That's due to front brake doing more work, so getting scrubbed more.

Many here will try to do some periodic hard braking (when no one is behind you, of course) during winter, especially right after a snowfall. This can help scrub the rotors a bit. I have a descending off-ramp on my commute, and during winter I often do it there. Bonus points if you shift to neutral while you do it (to cancel regen). My friend with a same-year Volt, who has never done this, has noticeably worse rear rotors than me. But mine do need to be replaced now too.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yeah, common problem. I find that I can drive with my foot on the accelerator and and the other on the brake to clean them up. As long as you find the sweet spot and don't push the brake too hard you can drive like that for a while.

I'm actually due to do that again but as the brake lights are on all the time while doing this I try to do this when no one is behind me. It works pretty well to clean up the braking surface.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts