GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did not see anything similar posted.

At about 29k (16k on battery, 13k on ICE) on my 2018, driving on electric, the car decided to start Engine Maintenance Mode. Immediately, the engine starting vibrating VERY harshly, shaking the entire car.

In an earlier post, I had a very similar thing happen when I put the car in Hold mode, although at that time, I shut the car off very quickly, put the car aside, posted and got a lot of feedback from others here on the forum. In the end, the dealership was unable to duplicate it, and sent me on my way.

THIS TIME, I decided to let the engine keep going vibrating the h*ll out of the car for about 20 seconds, when the ICE then stopped, the CEL came on and then went off, and the primary dash screens started alternating between "Engine Maintenance Mode 0% complete", "reduced propulsion", and "engine not available"... So THEN I pulled over, took inventory and drove it home, made appt at the dealeship.

BTW, reduced propulsion is REALLY painfully / Dangerously slow. Luckily I was able to take back roads off rush hour to drop it with the dealership -- Very slow from a stop, so you have to watch out pulling out into traffic, and it is unable to maintain speed going up hills...

The CEL stored a P050D error. I was fearing all the EGR and BECM possibilities others have mentioned here on the forum. However, in this case, my dealer (with GM's approval) performed a full fuel injector and fuel system cleaning (intakes, throttle body, etc...) for $150. I was skeptical, but when I got the car back, it ran fine and so far back to usual. I cautiously took the car on a 2 hour road trip, put the car in hold mode on the highway, and normal in traffic around towns - everything was ok.

If it happens again, I will probably insist on a new fuel injectors as well.

Hope it is helpful to someone.

Thank you.

P.S. - Screens that were alternating shown below:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Plant Personal luxury car
Vehicle Steering wheel Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Gadget
Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Personal luxury car Gadget

·
Registered
29 Posts
Try this post. Similar situation maybe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 2016 Volt has done the rough start ups before, but only if it wasn't under much load. So normally right when I run out of EV range and then if fires the engine as I come to a stop. It has a bit of a shake/studder. Never given any codes nor issues other than some vibration.

BUT. Looking at your pictures, I do notice that you don't seem to have any fuel in the tank.

Do you keep it that low all the time?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My 2016 Volt has done the rough start ups before, but only if it wasn't under much load. So normally right when I run out of EV range and then if fires the engine as I come to a stop. It has a bit of a shake/studder. Never given any codes nor issues other than some vibration.

BUT. Looking at your pictures, I do notice that you don't seem to have any fuel in the tank.

Do you keep it that low all the time?
Actually, the fuel tank was basically filled with 87 octane, and the battery was almost topped off…So far, has not happened again…but when the car goes into erdtt or fuel maintenance mode, I will just put it to hold and drive it in gas hybrid mode for 30-40 minutes…. The short duration cycling is probably the cause of things getting gummed up, despite Using Shell or Mobil gas exclusively…

·
Registered
104 Posts
Actually, the fuel tank was basically filled with 87 octane, and the battery was almost topped off…So far, has not happened again…but when the car goes into erdtt or fuel maintenance mode, I will just put it to hold and drive it in gas hybrid mode for 30-40 minutes…. The short duration cycling is probably the cause of things getting gummed up, despite Using Shell or Mobil gas exclusively…
Oh wow! That is strange. I see now that I turned the Blue bars Yellow and then must have changed the fuel level to indicate LOW since the engine is "not available". Very strange!

I try to not short cycle mine. If I think I'll run out of EV within a few miles from home, I'll just run it in Hold for the entire return trip so it isn't getting a bunch of cold cycling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts