GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went over a small bump and a rattle in the right rear of the car started. It was very very loud. It sounded like the right rear shock was about to come through the wheel-well. The dealer found that the right rear shock mount had broken off of the vehicle frame and was bouncing loosely along.

This gives me cause to wonder how sturdy Chevy Volt Gen2's are built. I had both sides replaced at the same time. No more rattle.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry for your trouble. Yours must be a one-off because I have never heard of another instance of this type of failure in a Volt. Two years ago we drove our 2018 LT from LA to Maine and back. In various parts of the country we encountered horrendous roads. Some areas we drove hundreds of miles over roads that were barely roads. More than a few "small bumps" and quite a few very large ones. 8k mile roundtrip, nothing broke. On the last day we crossed the SoCal desert through Needles with the outdoor temps above 110f. The car never missed a beat, and is still running strong at nearly 50k miles.

If you don't mind me asking, what did the repairs cost?

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is a rattle over certain bumps in my 2017. I suspect my roof rack, or a loose trim piece. Wondering what my next service visit will show.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went over a small bump and a rattle in the right rear of the car started. It was very very loud. It sounded like the right rear shock was about to come through the wheel-well. The dealer found that the right rear shock mount had broken off of the vehicle frame and was bouncing loosely along.

This gives me cause to wonder how sturdy Chevy Volt Gen2's are built. I had both sides replaced at the same time. No more rattle.
I would think that you either hit something a lot harder than you thought. Or if you aren't the original owner, they hit something really hard in the past and it didn't get replaced and it happened to let go on you.

That sort of failure is very rare, on any car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks like a one in a million type of failure. Either it was hit very hard and cracked, and took a while to fail completely, or a casting defect. I've never seen that happen to a Volt before. If that is a weak point on the Volt, I would be the only other one to have that fail, but it hasn't happened. I drive on rough roads every day, and flog the car almost daily on the mountain road portion of my commute. To highlight the stresses all this places on the suspension, I need an alignment one to two times a year without fail, and it's always the toe that gets knocked out of spec. Bought the car used with 45k miles on it, it's now at 76k. Despite all that, nothing has even come close to actually breaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts