GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Premier
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am the only owner of a 2018 Premier with 31,000 miles. Today I popped the hood before washing the car and decided to spray some water on the underside of the hood as it was a bit dusty. As I did this, a thin metal part dropped to the ground. I have no idea what it is or where it came from?!? Any ideas out there? Thanks a million!

·
Registered
2018 Premier
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who picks up stay pennies, lol!

I just went back and looked at my service records as I'm wondering if it was an "extra part" misplaced during service. (It looks to me like some kind of metal spacer, shim, or more likely a gasket). Upon closer inspection it appears to have a rubber or perhaps Teflon coating over a silver colored metal It is very thin, perhaps the thickness of an aluminum beer can. AND it has numbers stamped on it:

A larger 1 6 then a smaller 12642620.
I have had two recalls done and neither seems suspect. One was a "Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 Reprogramming with SPS". The other was to "Install three tie wraps on Evaporative Hose Bumper".
That leaves one warranty service. "Installed SL-N-Valve, Drained cooling system. Remove replace EGR Valve."

Perhaps the additional info helps.....

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
That's called a penny, it is almost worthless, but I still bend down to pick them up.

I have no idea what the other thing is.
LOL. The other thing looks like some kind of gasket.

·
Registered
2018 Premier
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep it's an EGR valve gasket -- I just googled the part number. So now, I have a dilemma -- is it the old gasket, or should it have been installed when the warranty work was performed? There is no mention of installing a new gasket. Any thoughts on how to proceed???

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,689 Posts
Any thoughts on how to proceed???
You could always ask to talk to the service manager, but I suspect his automatic answer would be, "Of course that is the original gasket and the new one is where it should be."

I think I'd first try to talk to a parts counter guy and see if that part number is still current for the replacement valve. If not, and a new gasket is provided with the new valve, you could feel pretty safe. If that part number is still being used with the new valves, you are likely stuck with talking to the mgr.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I believe that there is a coolant passage to the ERG valve assembly. I don't think that metal to metal interfacing would be enough to prevent leakage. So, I think that there is a gasket mounted on the assembly. You could try to view the interface to see if the edge of the gasket is visible. Here is a video of where the assembly sits (relevant part starts at 1:25):

1 - 8 of 8 Posts