GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volt Red Tincoat
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader. First time poster. This is my second Volt, my fist was a 2014 that I had for 3 years. The last 2 months I have experienced a very strange but consistent change in operation of my 2018 volt . The outside temperature have been between the lower 20 F to highs in the 40s F. My typical route to work is a 43 mile trip each way and I am lucky enough to be able to plug up at work. Lately , it does not matter how far I drive OR what the state of charge the battery is in but every time I stop and shutdown the car it will cycle down for a few seconds and then the engine cooling fan comes on for anywhere between 3-5 minutes and the grill shutters are shut. It is so bad that all I have t do is physically get into the car, start it up for 20 seconds or more and then even then when I shut it down the fan goes through its "cycle", in a 22 degree garage. There are no warnings and I do have the MGV app and no temperatures above 50 degrees F on any of the parameters. My driving habits have not changed much other than I have been doing quite a bit less of it as over half my time now is WFH. Any help is greatly appreciated and also thanks to the many people that have posted and answered others in the past as for both my volts this forum has been a great source knowledge and it seems like every time I visit there is something new that I learn.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wonder if the fan relay is sticking...possible to swap this relay with another identical one to isolate a possible cause? I've experienced a high speed cooling fan on condition twice, usually after long term storage. A shutdown/ re-power up corrected issue with no recurrence.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Red Tincoat
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what does your engine temp display say on your dash when this is going on
The engine temp is anywhere between 50 and 59 degrees , At least the last 3-4 times that I checked. The engine has never run during any of the events. So far I have been lucky enough to have 95% electric power.,

·
Registered
2018 Volt Red Tincoat
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder if the fan relay is sticking...possible to swap this relay with another identical one to isolate a possible cause? I've experienced a high speed cooling fan on condition twice, usually after long term storage. A shutdown/ re-power up corrected issue with no recurrence.
I am not sure but will look to see if there is one I can switch and test that way. It seems that the realy is getting the signal, to both start and stop. Just confusing.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Red Tincoat
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok this was driving me crazy so i took the car in to the dealer. There was no service engine light on BUT the current active code was P0404 which is ERG open performance. there were also two history codes U0140 and 0151 , the BCM as well as the restraints control module. SOooo, long story short the system was telling the EGR to open to 30% BUT it was not moving. The EGR was replaced and system reset and the fan no longer runs after shutdown. I am still concerned that there was no CEL but the problem is gone.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Red Tincoat
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody know why the egr would run the engine fan after shutdown, especially since i have not run the engine for over the last 600-700 miles ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just started experiencing this issue with my 2018 volt. No engine service lights and the dealer told ne not to worry about it. For 21/2 years this did not happen but after reprogramming the car for a GM recall the cooling fans come on after I turn off the vehicle and stay on for approximately 2 minutes. This happens if I back the car out of the garage or drive it any distance. GM dealers can't explain and tell me just to live with it.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Red Tincoat
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would tell say you need to pull the codes for the car. Sorry to hear about your issue but when I went in there was no engine service light either BUT when I pulled the codes there were 3 BUT all of them traced back to the EGR. Not sure why or how but after it was replaced, no more problems. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT
202 Posts
I would tell say you need to pull the codes for the car. Sorry to hear about your issue but when I went in there was no engine service light either BUT when I pulled the codes there were 3 BUT all of them traced back to the EGR. Not sure why or how but after it was replaced, no more problems. I hope this helps.
I believe a bad EGR actually makes the engine run hotter.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Red Tincoat
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sorry, but what is EGR in this reference? Are we looking at an EGR valve here? My 2018 is doing this in the last week or so.
As funny as that sounds the answer is yes. I would check the codes first and see if there is the EGR code either as current or in the history of the car. once the EGR is replaced and codes reset the fan no longer runs after shutdown unless cooling is actually needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts