GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2018 Volt and when I got it from the dealership the max charge was 73km's of ev range indicated on the dashboard. I have had the car for 2 weeks now and its max ev range after charge is constantly 73/74 km's. Only once did it read 78km's. I don't understand why when Chevrolet boasts 83km's ev range. I drive 35kms to work at a top speed of 80 km/h mostly 70. I am very easy on the accelerator using on average 20-25 kw's from stop to cruising speed and I cruise at about 12-16 kw's. I use "L" mode and the regen paddle. I do coast as much as possible and have got my timing/distance pretty good now with the paddle so I use very little brake pedal, usually just to stop from 4km/h to complete stop at a light. My stat page is odd. my climate is at -5. I use eco mode and prime the cabin while the car is still plugged in so it's nice and warm and will use very little energy while I drive. I even crack the rear windows if it starts to fog up a bit rather than using the hvac system. I should add that I live in the Vancouver region and morning temps are around 10 degrees Celcius. I do seem to use less ev range in the afternoon when its 15 degrees as I would expect.

Any tips you veterans could share with a newbie is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian

·
Registered
250 Posts
That sounds about right. I get 45-50 miles with weather like that and my tires are worn in. I also preheat the car which helps. My range is as bad as 37 miles in the winter with 15 degree F temps and as good as 70 miles on a nice fall or spring day. Truly, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Speed, hills and climate control are the killers. I have a 2018, in august I was seeing mid 80-90's on the Guessometer, now low 70's. All normal.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Terrain has an obvious effect on estimated range. Using the windshield wipers seems to suck range, too. Don't obsess about it. I did for some time, but now I just enjoy the drive.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you are "priming the cabin" beforehand and using the standard 120VAC charger I have noticed that it can take up to 50 minutes to fully recharge the system after doing that. Using a 240VAC EVSE Level 2 unit will only take a few miunutes to fully recover - that could be part of your problem.

I live on Vancouver Island - similar weatherwise to you, probably warmer in the morning as we are just 100m from the water. We are currently getting about 80km range. In the summer we get about 115km.

I would say on the whole what you are seeing is quite normal. You will average about 85km range as GM suggests over the longer term...

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You're coming into the car at a good time.
Those who came into it in the summer getting 110+ are severely disappointed to see 73.
But you see 73 and going into summer will have a grin from ear to ear when you see 110.

83 is the annual average, just like any other car efficiency rating. You will see it lower some days and higher others. On average, you can expect about 83.

on a "61" km gen1, I have seen as low as 36 (purposefully trying to be as inefficient as possible in -25C with max heat and short trips) to as high as 80.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2017’s range recently dropped to that level with the cold and rain (more heating and defogger use). This also coincided with snow tire installation. My weather is similar to yours (Nanaimo).

My guess-o-meter range Approached 100km in the late summer (with stock tires).

·
Registered
872 Posts
Terrain has an obvious effect on estimated range. Using the windshield wipers seems to suck range, too. Don't obsess about it. I did for some time, but now I just enjoy the drive.
Windshield wipers don't even take a toll on the 12-volt system, let alone the high-voltage system. The only accessories that will drop your range are the A/C (compressor runs on high-voltage) or heating (electric coolant heater is high-voltage).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Arcanox is right. Wiper motors draw about 1.75A at 12VDC = 21 watts. Modern LED exterior lights also draw very little power. In the winter reduced range is all about HV battery ambient temperature and cabin heating.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Arcanox is right. Wiper motors draw about 1.75A at 12VDC = 21 watts. Modern LED exterior lights also draw very little power. In the winter reduced range is all about HV battery ambient temperature and cabin heating.
Even full kitting out with old style incandesceng bulbs wouldn't much affect range as 200 watt-hours extra used in the time it takes to get through the AER would barely register. That'd be what? 1.5 km? Temperature will change the estimate that much one day to the next.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all your feedback and information. My guessometer is up to 92 now. I guess I was too new and impatient and didn't quite understand it. My wife laughs at me cause I turn off the hvac system and wear a toque and parka when I drive to max my results, lol. I do have a question about my energy usage score. My technique is generally 4 to 4.9 and I get that. But the terrain I cant quite wrap my head around. I literally drive on flat grade for 35 kms each way to and from work with the exception of 2 small, and I do mean small, hills and my terrain score reads -4 to -3 even before I get to those areas. I don't get it. Any idea what terrain means and how to improve it? I'll see if I can post a pic of my results. Thanks in advance to any input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried to upload a pic but it wont let me. Any idea how many times I need to post till I can share a link?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The sucking of the ev range when using the windshield wipers is apt to be more a product of the driving environment than of the battery power used by the wipers themselves. The road is wet, so the tires don’t grip the surface as well, it’s likely to be a bit colder outside (with occasion need to defog the windshield), making the air more dense to drive through, and you’re driving through a combination of dense air and falling water on a wet road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your milage sounds about right Lucid Dream - I just got my new volt over to Powell River where the weather is near the same and i putting down identical numbers to you right now. Your new volt wouldn't be black would it?

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank you for all your feedback and information. My guessometer is up to 92 now. I guess I was too new and impatient and didn't quite understand it. My wife laughs at me cause I turn off the hvac system and wear a toque and parka when I drive to max my results, lol. I do have a question about my energy usage score. My technique is generally 4 to 4.9 and I get that. But the terrain I cant quite wrap my head around. I literally drive on flat grade for 35 kms each way to and from work with the exception of 2 small, and I do mean small, hills and my terrain score reads -4 to -3 even before I get to those areas. I don't get it. Any idea what terrain means and how to improve it? I'll see if I can post a pic of my results. Thanks in advance to any input.
I have a 2018 LT. In southern Ontario. Temps last week have been -10 to -11C. Range for most of us in this area has dropped to 50-65km, due to the temps, use of climate controls, wet dense air, etc...

In mid-October when it was still 12-15C I was getting 100km of estimated range. So range can and will take a significant hit in colder weather for all of those reasons...we just have to live with it. Now in Vancouver you may not get as low as us, as it doesn't get that cold out there, but you do get alot of rain so it could affect range.

Also I have noticed that any slight elevation does affect your scores and therefore your range. The car is very sensitive to that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's like that in the winter.The cold decreases the battery range. In the summer you'll get about 100km. You'll lose some efficiency if you switch to winter tires too. I just got winter tires with steelies and I can't get as far as my all seasons. Highway also doesn't give you the best range as you're stepping on the gas pretty constantly. The regen paddle in the city works really well to get more out of the battery. You'll like the car, I think it's great. I drive to abby every day and don't need to use any gas. You will notice the gas is used a little when it is too cold, they need to runt he generator to keep the battery warm or something. It will show on your dash

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a 2017 and never get a charge over 44 miles (73km), doesnt matter if summer/winter, now that it is winter i"m lucky to get 35 miles to the charge.

·
Registered
419 Posts
volt_dc: your previous posts to this forum stated you did a lot of freeway driving at 110km/hr. That would be the answer to your low range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info Mike, Woodman67. I'm finally getting used to how this car works. My color is Cajon Red.

Brian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts