GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Volt is a 2018 and it has about 10,000 miles on it. It has run flawlessly until this week when it has started to use the engine even though the battery is fully charged. It will start out showing the number of EV miles available (typically 60 with a full charge) and then after about 0.2 miles the EV mileage indicator will dim out and the car will continue to run on the gasoline engine. If I turn off the car and wait for a few minutes the EV mileage indicator will again show and the car will continue to run without starting the engine until I have gone about another 0.2 miles when the EV indicator will again dim and the engine will again start.
I haven't taken it to the dealer yet but am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sounds like Fuel Maintenance Mode (FMM). Check Owners Manual.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Not running engine or fuel maintenance cycle? Fuel maintenance would be my first guess. Should be a message on the driver display.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
When it’s time for a Fuel Maintenance Mode or an Engine Maintenance Mode (FMM/EMM), a yes/no option of starting it is offered when you start the car. This message is displayed on the touch screen in the center console display to allow you to make a choice (not the driver’s display). If you don’t choose or if you select No, the message goes away, reappearing each time the car is started. The following day there is no option, just a message briefly displayed telling you the EMM or FMM will run.

Once the EMM has begun, the progress is displayed on the driver’s display. Once the FMM has begun, it continues until you do something about the "average age" of the gas in the tank.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it’s time for a Fuel Maintenance Mode or an Engine Maintenance Mode (FMM/EMM), a yes/no option of starting it is offered when you start the car. This message is displayed on the touch screen in the center console display to allow you to make a choice (not the driver’s display). If you don’t choose or if you select No, the message goes away, reappearing each time the car is started. The following day there is no option, just a message briefly displayed telling you the EMM or FMM will run.

Once the EMM has begun, the progress is displayed on the driver’s display. Once the FMM has begun, it continues until you do something about the "average age" of the gas in the tank.
Thanks so much - - It is most likely the FMM taking over except that there has been no indication on the drivers display or on the center console display. I am going to assume that I just missed the message on the center console and continue to drive the car using the engine until I have used up several gallons of fuel at which time I will refill. I assume that the refill will reset the average fuel age within acceptable limits allowing me to once again operate on battery power. Love this forum! Saved me an unwelcome trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Obviously you don't use much fuel. I would run it near empty and just add 3 gallons or so. No reason to fill it up. I bought my 2018 last October, after giving my 2011 to my son, and the dealer filled the tank. So far I have only used about a gallon, so I'm assuming I will be getting the FMM around October and have to burn about 6 gallons that I normally wouldn't need to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts