GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm thinking of purchasing a 2018 Volt. I drive 85 miles a day 90% highway. I don't have any charging stations at work. Weekend is usually shorter distance driving Was originally looking at the 2018 Chevy Cruze Diesel and then started doing some research on the Volt. Price between the Volt and Cruze is $2000 difference ( Cruze more expensive after Volt gets the government rebate). What do you guys suggest is the Volt ideal for my commute?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
If you can drive a stick shift go for the Cruze Diesel in a manual transmission. Other wise consider the Volt will effectively get 111 MPG on your daily commute as long as you fully charge it at night.

85 miles
---------------------
(85-53)/42 gallons

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yes totally! Just the driving experience will be more gratifying. Especially in the morning on that full charge. A stinky clattering diesel? I can’t even imagine a comparison.

·
8,680 Posts
Go test drive both. I think you'll find that the Volt is a much better experience - instant torque is addictive, and it's got the responsiveness of a manual without ever having to shift gears or ride the clutch (or getting caught in the wrong gear.)

The price of diesel (and AdBlue!) has gone up enough that it wipes out the efficiency benefit of diesel over conventional gas cars in most places these days - driving a Volt around 50% on gas should be much less money overall.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Missed that. Even so, seems like a no-brainer to me to go with a Volt.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Well, just because there currently are no charging stations at the workplace doesn't mean they won't someday add some charging capability or you might work at a location that does have charging capability. Just since purchasing my Volt in 2016 I have worked at 3 different locations and the charging situation at these workplaces has been none, fee based @$0.20/kWh and currently charging at work is free.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Need more information.

Climate
Speed. (Highway speeds and driver speeding speeds vary)
Terrain
Electricity cost. (Including any available TOU pricing.)
Diesel cost. (Diesel prices can vary wildly.)

There's also a big difference between MSRP and the _actual_ price after rebates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No need for more numbers. I did an estimate already on my own. I was already leaning toward the Volt and you guys just confirmed it's the right choice. Thanks everyone for the insight.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
No need for more numbers. I did an estimate already on my own. I was already leaning toward the Volt and you guys just confirmed it's the right choice. Thanks everyone for the insight.
Make sure you test drive the Volt on gas for a while before you make this decision. The Volt is a great car while driving on battery. On gas it's just ok. The Cruze diesel may not be your best alternative to compare against. There are plenty of other small high mileage cars out there that are very fun to drive (e.g. VW Golf, Mazda 3, etc.)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I’d get the diesel. No reason not to. More fun to drive, manual transmission. More roomy interior. It can be modified for even better MPG and power. And it will last longer without problems.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
If you can drive a stick shift go for the Cruze Diesel in a manual transmission. Other wise consider the Volt will effectively get 111 MPG on your daily commute as long as you fully charge it at night.

85 miles
---------------------
(85-53)/42 gallons
How is the Cruze diesel ever going to come close to 111 MPG?

My advice, go test drive a volt. From a stoplight, punch it - all that torque should be enough to convince you to not be rolling in a Cruze.

I miss driving a stick shift, but still have a CTS with a 5 speed manual tranny when I need that fix.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
How is the Cruze diesel ever going to come close to 111 MPG?

My advice, go test drive a volt. From a stoplight, punch it - all that torque should be enough to convince you to not be rolling in a Cruze.
111 MPG is a phony number. First of all he's only going to get close to that half the time, and secondly electricity is not free. A miles/dollar figure (half EV, half gas) would be more appropriate.

By the same token, he's only going to be able to punch it like that half the time. If he goes with something like a Golf, he can have a spirited driving experience 100% of the time, including with stickier tires.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
111 MPG is a phony number. First of all he's only going to get close to that half the time, and secondly electricity is not free. A miles/dollar figure (half EV, half gas) would be more appropriate.

By the same token, he's only going to be able to punch it like that half the time. If he goes with something like a Golf, he can have a spirited driving experience 100% of the time, including with stickier tires.
Sometimes the electricity to charge is free. Currently there are 7 free level 2 charging stations in the garage where I park at work (2 spaces have signage that the spaces are reserved for Ford Motor Company which is kind of silly since Ford has very few PHEV or EV vehicles. (There is no way a Ford employee is ever going drive any other brand except maybe Lincoln and there are currently no Lincoln PHEV or EV.) As far as I can tell the reserved charging spaces are never used by Ford. Sometimes if the other spaces are in use someone will use of the the reserved spaces to charge their non-Ford PHEV or EV. Commonly seen charging PHEV and EV include: Model S, Model X, Plug-in Prius (not Prius Prime), Gen 1 Volt, Gen 2 Volt, Chrysler Pacifica Plug In, Honda Clarity PHEV and Gen 1 Leaf.
I don't make the trip into the office all of the time but when I do I can always find an available space to charge. I need ~3hrs to charge to full for the trip home.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Sometimes the electricity to charge is free. Currently there are 7 free level 2 charging stations in the garage where I park at work (2 spaces have signage that the spaces are reserved for Ford Motor Company which is kind of silly since Ford has very few PHEV or EV vehicles. (There is no way a Ford employee is ever going drive any other brand except maybe Lincoln and there are currently no Lincoln PHEV or EV.) As far as I can tell the reserved charging spaces are never used by Ford. Sometimes if the other spaces are in use someone will use of the the reserved spaces to charge their non-Ford PHEV or EV. Commonly seen charging PHEV and EV include: Model S, Model X, Plug-in Prius (not Prius Prime), Gen 1 Volt, Gen 2 Volt, Chrysler Pacifica Plug In, Honda Clarity PHEV and Gen 1 Leaf.
I don't make the trip into the office all of the time but when I do I can always find an available space to charge. I need ~3hrs to charge to full for the trip home.
Sure, free changes everything. Heck, my dad used to get free gas at work (gas was about .20/g). That made his 8 mpg 4 barrel 327 Chevy more than 111 mpg. But free is unique, and rarely lasts forever. And the OP will still have to charge at home, and that's not free either.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts

"Phony" may be a little strong. When I got my first Volt back in 2012, I went from $250 per month for gas to about $100 per year for gas plus around $300 per year for electricity, which is only $20-$30 per month in added electricity. Electricity is not free but it is hardly noticeable when compared to the previous $250 per month. In my current Volt, my lifetime MPG over the last 2.5 years and 22,000 miles, is at 163MPG and I'm still only paying an extra $20 - $30 per month more in electricity.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts

I'm not sure what you're talking about being able to punch it like that half the time. I punch my Volt all the time, it accelerates like the dickens whether I'm in electric or ICE mode. I take on any and all pony cars and ricer boys at stoplights - haven't lost yet, but then again, they just don't expect it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
"Phony" may be a little strong. When I got my first Volt back in 2012, I went from $250 per month for gas to about $100 per year for gas plus around $300 per year for electricity, which is only $20-$30 per month in added electricity. Electricity is not free but it is hardly noticeable when compared to the previous $250 per month. In my current Volt, my lifetime MPG over the last 2.5 years and 22,000 miles, is at 163MPG and I'm still only paying an extra $20 - $30 per month more in electricity.
Fair enough. Your experience is similar to mine going to a Volt, but the OP might be going from 250/month in gas to 100/month. That plus probably $50/month in electricity is some savings, but not what you/I saw. If he is filling the battery from zero every day, and filling the tank every other week, he could do just as well with a different high mileage car.

Let's face it. On this forum we are a bunch of Volt snobs (myself included). But I at least try to find some objectivity.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I'm not sure what you're talking about being able to punch it like that half the time. I punch my Volt all the time, it accelerates like the dickens whether I'm in electric or ICE mode. I take on any and all pony cars and ricer boys at stoplights - haven't lost yet, but then again, they just don't expect it.
Admittedly I rarely drive on ICE...and rarely drive like that :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts