GM Volt Forum banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I'm thinking I'm glad my 2017's BECM was replaced a couple of years ago as part of my cruise control engagement issues.

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT Silver
2 Posts
Same issue here on my 2018 LT (~41K miles). About a month ago the MIL went on and it threw a bunch of battery-related codes and wouldn't charge or move. I was able to use a code reader to erase the codes so I could at least get the car moving, but the condition always came back after 2-3 starts. We were in the middle of a snowstorm so I couldn't drive the car to the dealer to get it checked out. Finally after the roads were clear I tried to start it and couldn't clear the codes anymore so it wouldn't move. Had it towed to the dealer and they confirmed it was the BECM. No ETA on a replacement part. Going on 3 weeks now - will post if I get any updates. The dealer said their best guess was a month - but I'm skeptical.

If your dealer is giving you a hard time about a loaner, keep pressing them - it's a warranty fix (covered under the longer hybrid powertrain warranty) so they should give you a loaner. Luckily I was fine there - I just had to wait a week because they had no loaners to give out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just had P1E00 , P1E60 pop along with engine warning on my 2017 gen 2 volt with 72k miles. The engine warning light went out but I was able to pull the code with a scan tool. Drives fine thank God. I would guessthe BECM is failing. So that's 4 people on this thread. I would guess a bad batch of BECM modules.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A buddy of mine in the sunshine state has the same problem with his 17. It has been at a dealer sitting in the parking lot now for a month waiting on the module. I'll bet there are quite a few more in the same boat. Does anybody know whether the main pack would deteriorate if left in the lot for an extended period not charged? I know the 12 volt AGM would likely suffer. He only has less than 50k on the car and I would not like to see the life of the pack shortened from sitting for a long time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
the 12v will be dead long before the battery pack assuming any charge at all. I would call the service advisor and ask him to put the 12v on charge every 3 weeks and put the car in transport mode (deep sleep).

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
424 Posts
The 12V battery will go dead if it's not on a maintainer. I "killed" mine by leaving the car plugged into the EVSE in my attached garage while I fled to a warmer climate for five months one winter. When I returned, the car acted as though it had no batteries at all in it. When I connected a small charger to the 12V, it woke back up and reported the HV battery still at full charge...which it was. If you connect a smart charger (CTek, etc.) to the jump points under the hood, the 12V will stay fully charged. BTW, I put "killed" in quotes because my 12V did come completely back from the grave with charging, and has been fine ever since. It's still the original, too (car's production date: 02/2016). And yes, I'm also a BECM victim...I got in line about two weeks ago.

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
363 Posts
Does anybody know whether the main pack would deteriorate if left in the lot for an extended period not charged
The preferred state for long term storage of the car is for the HV battery is to be below 50% charge. Considering he was likely unable to charge the vehicle due to BECM failure, I assume it is likely low on charge. He should be fine (other than a possibly dead 12v battery...)

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK, so update time. I took into my local dealer to diagnose; they say one of the battery modules is defective. I assume one of the sections went bad as I don't have the paperwork, new battery parts on order, 7-10 days ETC. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First comment, my BECM on my 2016 Volt went out 2 weeks ago. It has just over 40K miles. I was getting the shift to park error from time to time so I wanted to get that fixed so I got two birds with one stone. Although it been in the shop for almost 2 weeks now. No parts have been found yet. They said it is on “National Backorder” and no loaner car. So I am having a blast getting a ride with my wife.

the dealer mentioned they have another Volt there, also a 2016 waiting for the same part.

·
Registered
190 Posts
OK, so update time. I took into my local dealer to diagnose; they say one of the battery modules is defective. I assume one of the sections went bad as I don't have the paperwork, new battery parts on order, 7-10 days ETC. Crossing my fingers.
Did your BECM go out too?

I love my 2018 but it seems like it's a ticking time bomb. I may trade-in before the warranty expiires - only 4 years left. No issues about the BECM on carcomplaints though. Probably not many people use it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine failed on my 2018 at about the same time as yours.
Only symptom was the check engine light was on, car acted normally otherwise.
Got replaced under warranty, no charge.
Does not make me feel better about the Volt longevity/reliability overall.
How did they determine it was the BECM with only a check engine light? When was your 2018 built?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my '17 last summer, and two weeks later the BECM took a dump. A month later I finally got the car back only to have it die again a couple months after that due to a battery section going bad. Three weeks later I finally got it back again and it's been fine ever since (knock on wood)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just had this happen to my 2018 LT @ 49,000. Check engine light one day followed by a no start condition. After switching to neutral, I was able to start the car. Engine imediately fired up with 0 miles of range but full battery. At dealer now with no eta on the BECM.
Just an update to my situation with the BECM. After 5ish weeks I still have no ETA on the par. For those concerned about having no vehicle while you wait, forget what your dealer says and call GM. If its covered under your Voltec Warranty GM will cover a rental car but you have to go through the dealer. Once you tell this to the dealer they will suddenly have access to a loaner for you since they can just bill GM for thge rental costs to give out the loaner. I will say though after 5 weeks with a 2021 v6 Blazer, I am definately feeling the pain at the pump. Cant wait for this to be over with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did your BECM go out too?

I love my 2018 but it seems like it's a ticking time bomb. I may trade-in before the warranty expiires - only 4 years left. No issues about the BECM on carcomplaints though. Probably not many people use it.
Definately do not hold onto this car after the Voltec warranty expires. Way to much risk from outright cost to repair, to the amount of time it takes to get EV specific parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
First comment, my BECM on my 2016 Volt went out 2 weeks ago. It has just over 40K miles. I was getting the shift to park error from time to time so I wanted to get that fixed so I got two birds with one stone. Although it been in the shop for almost 2 weeks now. No parts have been found yet. They said it is on “National Backorder” and no loaner car. So I am having a blast getting a ride with my wife.

the dealer mentioned they have another Volt there, also a 2016 waiting for the same part.
The dealer is wrong about the loaner. Call GM and they will confirm that you are eligible for rental reimbursment but will need to start the process directly through the dealer working on your car. Once you tell them that, they will magically have a loaner for you since they can charge GM for the usage.

·
Registered
2017 Chev Volt
39 Posts
For what it’s worth… I just found out today that they now have the part… 7 week wait. I’m selling when it’s fixed. Don’t trust this car anymore. Unfortunate because I really liked it for the first two years
Hello MaryCA
I am a concerned with this BECM issue and trying to gather so background information before it failed.

Year of the car ( in service date)?
mileage ( km / mile ) ?
percentage ( electric/gas)?
type of driving ( % on Highway/city)?
charging ( 120v Level1 / 240v Level 2)?
environment ( parking outside / garage)?
Climate ( state/province)?

Thanks for posting this, it helps everyone who drives a Volt.

Ernie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello MaryCA
I am a concerned with this BECM issue and trying to gather so background information before it failed.

Year of the car ( in service date)?
mileage ( km / mile ) ?
percentage ( electric/gas)?
type of driving ( % on Highway/city)?
charging ( 120v Level1 / 240v Level 2)?
environment ( parking outside / garage)?
Climate ( state/province)?

Thanks for posting this, it helps everyone who drives a Volt.

Ernie
Year of the car ( in service date) Not sure of In service date but it is a 2018
mileage ( km / mile )48000 miles
percentage ( electric/gas) 70% Electric
type of driving ( % on Highway/city) 90% Highway
charging ( 120v Level1 / 240v Level 2) Level2 twice daily
environment ( parking outside / garage)Garage
Climate ( state/province)Eastern PA

61 - 80 of 109 Posts