GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
22,544 Posts
I took a chance because I liked the idea of the Volt and I really do like the car but the company and their build quaility is at the bottom of the list. I have NEVER had any issues with a vehicle with this low of mileage.
Me too. My 2011 Volt was the first GM I purchased. However unlike you, I have found the car to be very well built. The few issues I have had have been minor. I do expect a main battery issue at some point, hopefully a few more years down the road instead of now.

My positive Volt experience convinced me to get the Bolt EV. That has been very good s well. GM just replaced the battery for free, I got an extra 29 miles range in the bargain, and the battery comes with a new warranty. Very delighted. Might end up replacing the Volt with a Chevy EQuinox (based on the Ultium battery platform). Given that the Ultium batteries will be used in almost all GM EV's and given it's designed to enable swapping out bad modules with those that may have new chemistry, I expect replacement parts to be more readily available including after warranty battery modules.

I agree that the dealer experience can vary from one to the next. I'm fortunate to have at least two good ones available, though they rarely see me. I think the supply chain issues are the root cause for the BECM replacement delays. Not that that is much comfort if your car is sitting waiting months for a part. And being a low volume vehicle does not help. Now if you had a Silverado...

Reactions: snic

·
Administrator
22,544 Posts
GM seems to have miscalculated support for this vehicle.
This is bigger than one car manufacturer. The auto industry in general is having trouble getting replacement parts. You'll see similar complaints on Ford forums blaming Ford for long back order times on repair parts.

A caution to anyone who may need a car repair sometime soon: You may have to wait weeks, even months for parts, due to supply chain shortages that show no signs of letting up.
Matt Overbeck owns a repair shop, Overbeck Auto Services. "We are seeing car parts delays and shortages in some areas," he said. "Day, weeks, and in some cases months."

Besides catalytic converters, he says parts in short supply include:
ABS brake modules
Engine sensors
Transmission control modules
Windshields

·
Administrator
22,544 Posts
Seems like more parts came in in April. Perhaps the supply chain is catching up a bit.

Reactions: noyoudont

·
Administrator
22,544 Posts
I too have this problem on my 2018, 38k miles. The BECM is on order....3-4 weeks out. That was 9 days ago. Driving normal since, with CE light that goes out after charging. A couple of instances of "unable to Charge", , but able to just a few minutes later. This morning, all of a sudden, trying to shift to Reverse to back out of my garage, "Shift to Park". Will not let me move.
There are a number of YouTube videos on DIY fix for the shifter relay issue. One show bending the contact a bit, or replacing the relay, another has a guy cutting some wires!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts