GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Very informative. I posted on the home page before I found this thread. didn’t even know enough to tag the right words in my post. I guess I’m lucky my BECM didn’t go out until 125k of hard commute driving and constant charging in my 2016. Not under warranty I assume. Did have to wait 2 weeks. Got a rental only after I demanded just the last few days. 2600$ repair. Has anyone gotten any relief from Chevy for out of warranty repair for this?
I haven't heard of anyone who's gotten GM to pony up - but there aren't that many gen 2 Volts that are out of their Voltec warranty. It's been less than 7 years since the first gen 2s were sold in late 2015, so no warranty has timed out yet (8 years), and with typical driving patterns of 12 to 15k miles per year, I'm guessing only a few gen 2s have reached 100k miles.

Given the number of BECM failures being reported, I think in the next few years there are going to be LOTS of people like you who have this happen to them after the Voltec warranty expires.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I received my car by end of 2019, so I dont believe it is early built issue.
I actually kind of wonder if it's a late build issue. The vast majority of reports are from 2017 and 2018 Volts, with a few 2019s. But hardly any 2016s. Maybe that is wishful thinking (I have a '16), but I did spend some time on the NHTSA's complaints database (Recalls | NHTSA). Searching by keywords "BECM" or "battery energy", I get 9 hits for 2017 Volts and 0 hits for any other year (2016, 2018, 2019).

·
Registered
974 Posts
This is bigger than one car manufacturer. The auto industry in general is having trouble getting replacement parts.
Yes and no. Last fall I hit a deer going 65 in my '08 Honda Civic. (Everyone was fine, except the deer.) The damage was extensive and the auto shop owner pissed and moaned about how long it was going to take to get the parts and how it was going to take a long time to finish the work. Then, whaddya know, he completes the repairs on time, within the insurance budget, using mostly Honda OEM parts.

So... if Honda is able to maintain inventory for repairs to a 13 year old car, why can't GM do the same for a 5 year old car?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts