GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question,

I remote started my Volt and now when I get in, the Auto Air Conditioner mode does not work. I can manually set and it cools good, but the auto no longer works. After starting and stopping a couple of times, I did see a message popup one time after I started that said "Climate controls do not work when vehicle is off". I am thinking maybe a wonky command when I tried to remote start or something. Has anyone ever had this problem?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Remote start via key fob, or via OnStar app? It could make a difference. Your owner manual describes what climate features you can expect to function (and choices you can make in the vehicle personalization menu) when using the key fob for a remote start. Using the OnStar app could mean using whatever the settings were when you last turned the car off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting, when I went to work this morning, the Auto works again. I am thinking maybe somehow the car AC thought the car was off and had to reset? Do not know what happened, but working now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to hijack but I have a semi related question on how auto ac works.
Say it’s 80 outside and I have auto set to 74 on max, about the lowest I want to go with the fan speed. If I turn off auto and crank the temp knob to Low and keep the fan speed the same, is the air colder from the vents? I’d like the coldest possible air but not the crazy high fan speed that comes with using auto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an understandable reason. I had the same situation a few weeks ago and a couple of years ago as well. I have battled this situation several times in my life, and I believe it happens to many more car owners. My solution turned out to be relatively straightforward. I used help from https://www.marvellous.sg/aircon-chemical-wash/. This cleaning is an essential detail to getting your air conditioner in a more efficient mode. I think you will need it next time if you still haven't solved your problem.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,023 Posts
Even if there were infinite variability in A/C "load", the rate of cooling the cabin is about "how much heat can you get to the evaporator coils", and that's more a function of airflow than temperature difference when there's a bottom limit of "cannot allow frost buildup on coils or they block air from being cooled".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.