GM Volt Forum banner

2017 World Solar Challenge

7K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Upper5Percent 
#1 ·
This years World Solar Challenge, the race across Australias outback from Darwin to Adelaide, just started:

https://worldsolarchallenge.org/dashboard/map

So far, after Day 1, it seems the Dutch Nuon team is holding the first position.

#2 ·

#5 ·
I like it!

(Why doesn't this forum have a 'like' button?)

They claim that in 2013, the Cruiser class winner only used 65 kWh of external (non-solar) energy to go the 3000 km. Cruiser class requires the car to hold one or more passengers. The rules require the cars to have an average speed of at least 60 km/h (about 37 mph). So it is a pretty impressive feat.

As an aside, J.B. Straubel, the CTO of Tesla, competed in the WSC when he was at Stanford. He has stated that they actively try to hire engineers that have worked on the teams. (No doubt especially Stanford...)

#3 ·

#4 ·

#6 ·
On Day 2 the lead has changed...
Tokai University
TOKAI CHALLENGER

Nuon Solar Team
NUNA9
but they are basically neck and neck...:)

And Stella Vie is leading the Cruiser Class...big time...:)

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
View attachment 141369

I was thinking it looked more like the 69 Barracuda...:)

But since that is a German team...I see where they got their idea from...:)
View attachment 141361

Nuon has stretched the gap when I just checked...

Stella Vie is cruising in the Cruiser Class

#10 ·
Gen 1 Volts had the option of the Ampera Sport wheels that were probably a bit more aerodynamic than the stock wheels. Has anyone tried to compare the two?

At the end of Day 3, Nuon is still in the lead and has broadened it a bit. U of Michigan in in 2nd place. Team Twente from the Netherlands is in 3rd. Tokai has fallen backwards to #4. Per the map, the three leading teams have already entered South Australia. The next two are very near the border. The Stanford team, from here in the Bay Area, is in 12th place of 15.

In the Cruiser class, #11 from Bochum, Germany is in the lead. They made it past Alice Springs. Most of the other Cruisers seem to be overnighting in Alice.

#14 ·
At the end of Day 4 - Nuon way in the lead. They only have about 290 miles to Adelaide. The next four stopped around Glendambo - about 366 miles to Adelaide. The Punch team from Belgium moved into third place, and Tokai fell to fifth. These teams should easily make it to Adelaide on Day 5. The last place car is just south of Alice Springs - about 360 miles between Nuon and them. They will probably need an extra day to complete the journey.

In Cruiser, #11 from Bochum, is still in the lead. They have passed through Coober Pedy (love those Austrailian names) and have about 500 miles to Adelaide. Stella Vie is in second place distance wise, and still rated 1st by a long shot in efficiency score.

#15 ·
Day 5 - Nuon just made it to Adelaide! The next four are past Port Augusta. Michigan 2nd, Punch 3rd. Tokai swapped places with Twente. All remaining cars are now in South Australia.

#16 ·
shows in the gallery of pics that Nuon won.wonder how its time compares to the Gm car that won.

#17 ·
Sunraycer arrived in Adelaide on Day 6 in the first race. Interestingly Sunraycer had a 8 sq-meter solar array on it, part silicon and part GaAs. This years cars are only allowed 4 sq-meter Si and 2.7 (IIRC) sq-meter for GaAs. (Cruiser class cars are allowed a little larger solar arrays.) Here is a really good tech description of Sunraycer: http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/605/2/MacCready.pdf

#18 · (Edited)
#19 ·
I enjoy all forms of car racing. But as an unabashed tech nerd, this one has always fascinated me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.