GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if the Voltec warranty provides a loaner or rental for when your car is being repaired? My 2017 Volt had a BECM failure 8 weeks ago. But the dealer says the part has a nationwide shortage and he has no idea when it will arrive. I have called and texted Chevy and the dealer dozens of times but I am stuck without a car indefinitely...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Does anyone know if the Voltec warranty provides a loaner or rental for when your car is being repaired? My 2017 Volt had a BECM failure 8 weeks ago. But the dealer says the part has a nationwide shortage and he has no idea when it will arrive. I have called and texted Chevy and the dealer dozens of times but I am stuck without a car indefinitely...
If you argue enough with Chevrolet HQ, then yes you will get it. I was offered one when we had our 2017 Volt EGR issue. Also parts shortage, but I was told it was because it was a new redesigned part. Indeed it looks different, slightly, and the colour is quite different. The old was black, the new part is a greyish colour. But I did have to make my case however. The funniest part was the car they offered me was ummm... Not quite what I expected. I took it happily. But I don't suspect that will happen all the time and based on dealer availability of course. But this made my impatient wait ummm... Fade... . Be friendly, be cooperative but be be firm with your need for a loaner (say stuff like this is a premature failure and nothing you could do even with the best maintenance could have prevented it) and you will get a good outcome. Be rude and aggressive and expect nothing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
I didn’t know the EGR was redesigned. That’s reassuring to hear!
Wish I had my old one, but when the dealer service manager put them side by side, they were visibly different. At least colour wise. Just going by what they told me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. Im new to the forum and was a happy volt owner for a month untill today. Hopefully someone can give me advice. I usually dont run my battery way down as i only drive 35 miles a day and so have about 25 miles left when i get home. I recharge overnight using the Level one charger that comes with the car. Recently i had to drive extra and ran my battery down to 5 miles and then switched over to hold mode. Anyway when i got home i put the EVSE on it as usual and it only charged a few minutes then quit flashing green The LED in the middle of the dash is a solid yellow and the EVSE light is still green. Not red. On the dash board display it says battery will not charge. I tried multiple outlets in my house and garage but all the same. Will only charge a few minutes then shuts quits charging. Then i decided to start the car and i got the propulsion power reduced message and the check engine light is on. I have an older obd 2 scanner and it reads code p1e00. I realize my scanner may be too old for this car. The battery range is 8 miles. So what does anyone think?? Is it a charger problem or something worse? Thanks for any advice.
It could be your cooling system that happened to me and it was my cooling system it cost me $1,500 to get fixed

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't rule out a bad 12v battery. My 2017 acted very strangely when the 12v was dying. The 12v battery seemed okay, but it was on the the low voltage side, and after I replaced it, I never had any more weird issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. Im new to the forum and was a happy volt owner for a month untill today. Hopefully someone can give me advice. I usually dont run my battery way down as i only drive 35 miles a day and so have about 25 miles left when i get home. I recharge overnight using the Level one charger that comes with the car. Recently i had to drive extra and ran my battery down to 5 miles and then switched over to hold mode. Anyway when i got home i put the EVSE on it as usual and it only charged a few minutes then quit flashing green The LED in the middle of the dash is a solid yellow and the EVSE light is still green. Not red. On the dash board display it says battery will not charge. I tried multiple outlets in my house and garage but all the same. Will only charge a few minutes then shuts quits charging. Then i decided to start the car and i got the propulsion power reduced message and the check engine light is on. I have an older obd 2 scanner and it reads code p1e00. I realize my scanner may be too old for this car. The battery range is 8 miles. So what does anyone think?? Is it a charger problem or something worse? Thanks for any advice.
I literally just got back from the Chevy Service (‘13 Volt) for the same problem and error code. The root cause to my problem was the 12V battery. Check y to he 12V battery before taking it in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well the volt is at the dealer right now. Has been there all day and they havent contacted me yet. Tomorrow i will call them to get some info. Will let you all know what they find.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Gen 2 (at least my 2017) has a coolant level sensor on the bottom of the reservoir.

Also, you should NEVER just add coolant if the level is lower than before (battery and electronics systems). Of course, the level can change some due to temperature cycles, so watch for the trend. If the level is lower than previous trends, you MUST find where it went. If it has an external leak, and fix it, it should be topped up (and possibly purged, if air was allowed in the system plumbing), but absent an explanation, the dealer should be the one looking for a leak.

For first gen the full to line was moved up

not sure where the gen2 new line should be .
this is an old picture.

View attachment 172997

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh geez Thanks for the good news ?? LOL. I believe your right after reading all the other posts about BECM symptoms. My car is doing exactly the same things. It goes in the shop tomorrow so we will see what they say about wait times. Thanks for your input and information. Not so happy with my volt purchase right now.
Not familiar with the abbreviation. What is BECM?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The Gen 2 (at least my 2017) has a coolant level sensor on the bottom of the reservoir.

Also, you should NEVER just add coolant if the level is lower than before (battery and electronics systems). Of course, the level can change some due to temperature cycles, so watch for the trend. If the level is lower than previous trends, you MUST find where it went. If it has an external leak, and fix it, it should be topped up (and possibly purged, if air was allowed in the system plumbing), but absent an explanation, the dealer should be the one looking for a leak.
Your probably right. Im just used to working on gas engines. These volts are totally different with a lot of extra circuitry and sensors monitoring things. Where a particular fail code can point a novice in the wrong direction.. Its amazing all the different suggestions i have had on this issue. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out. And get this volt back on the road. Thanks for your advice. I think the fact that my volt was low on coolant is the real indicator of the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well just got off the phone with the dealer. DIdnt actually talk to a mechanic just the secretary so she may be wording this incorrectly. But she said they found a bad section of the hybrid battery. Does she mean a bad slice of the HV battery or a section of the HV system like the BECM. At any rate she said the part is back ordered and they have no idea when it will be available. She couldnt tell me what part exactly. She supposedly is going to let me know asap how long the wait will be,. I just read that BECMs are going to be available in a few weeks on facebook. SO hopefully my wait is not too long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh geez Thanks for the good news ?? LOL. I believe your right after reading all the other posts about BECM symptoms. My car is doing exactly the same things. It goes in the shop tomorrow so we will see what they say about wait times. Thanks for your input and information. Not so happy with my volt purchase right now.
Hello Blue Volt,
Your dilemma sounds just about exactly the same as the one I encountered about a month ago, even to the point of clearing the code, it charged okay for two days, then the problem recurred. Defeated, I resigned myself to taking it to the dealer. All it required was a software update and reboot, nothing mechanical, although they still stuck me for $240 to do it. Grrrr... I hope it's the same with yours -- except for the $240!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts