GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I took delivery of my 2017 Volt a couple of days ago, equipped with adaptive cruise control. My dealer told me it's only one of 3 within a 250 mile radius that has ACC (I guess dealers can search for new vehicles by option). I really love the ACC - I tend to set the cruise at 78 - I now catch myself going slower in traffic at around 70 with ACC (it's on cruise and the pace and gap is comfortable) until I realize I just need to get over to the passing lane and it will resume to 78 again.

I'm very pleased. I've kept my 2011 that has 144,012 miles (52,016 in charge depleting mode). The 2011 is running great, so it's worth more to me than it would be on the market. I plan to use the 2011 mostly around town on short (electric) commutes and reserve the 2017 for the long trips (it started making me a bit nervous being far from home on a car with 144k miles, although it hasn't been warranted), or at least we'll use it as the second car instead of the GMC Yukon Denali XL, saving a bit of gas. Then my wife is saying the 2017 is her car (we'll share)

Everything seems to be improved in Volt 2.0 except the few things below that I'll be picky about:
  • One of the first things I did when I got home was to attempt to program the built-in garage door opener. Looking in the owner's manual and not finding it, I realized the 2017 doesn't have a built in garage door opener. OK, I guess that feature must not have been used often and/or folks were technilogically challenged about how to program it. I have the 2 previously unused remotes - it just seems so retro having the opener clipped to the visor.
  • Along similar lines, there is no slot for a CD / DVD as in my 2011. OK, it doesn't have a cassette slot, 8 track player, etc. (I remember a Chrysler from 50's or early 60's where they actually had a vinyl record turntable installed, which didn't do well at all over bumps.)
  • No USB or power ports inside the center console, where I could leave my devices out of site. I connect my phone with Android Auto and an iPod to the USB ports, but the tangled cords are a bit unsightly. I like the inductive charge slot for my cellphone, but my cell phone is just a bit too tall for the console to latch (if it doesn't fit, don't force it!)
  • No storage bin in the top center of the IP. OK, it's small and not used often in the 2011, but it's a convenient place to leave stuff out of the way but where I know where it is.
Interestingly, my lifetime fuel economy is 52.7 for the 2017 and 53 for the 2011 (OnStar Remote Link rounds it), but both will be increasing - I immediately took the 2017 on a long trip, and the 2011 will be relegated to mostly local EV driving from now on. The 2017 is displaying 51 miles range fully charged - the 2011 rarely got beyond 40 for me.

I love the new Volt and I'm looking forward to 150,000+ miles on this one.

Here's the link to the picture - I never did get the hang of adding inline images or uploading files over 90 kb in size:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!An-mc7ZeMBD33mFg8uM1uEJCOVkL

·
Registered
534 Posts
Your lifetime fuel economy is the lowest I've heard of. You must use the gas generator almost all the time. What's the use of having an electric car if you use gas all the time? It's odd. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're talking about.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the freedom to make long trips, which I do, without having to find a supercharger, putting up with the locals hogging them, etc. On my 2011, I drove over 1,000 miles in one day. Like I said on the 2017, I immediately made a long trip, It's none of your business what the mixture of my driving is. There are weeks when I don't go out of town that my gasoline usage is minimal (and the weekly MPG is listed as 250+). Even a noisy underpowered Prius wouldn't get that lifetime average.

As I said, both cars will see the lifetime average MPG increase. It's spelled out clearly on the window sticker, which says 42 MPG gas and 106 MPG (equivalent) electric. How drivers use the car and when and where they drive and the length of the trips are up to them. With 50 miles electric range, I should rarely use gas locally. And with the gas engine, I'm not tethered to a range. The best of both worlds. What don't you understand about that?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose I could have driven my GMC Yukon Denali XL on this and all long trips and only driven the Volt around town to dazzle you with the lifetime MPG, but that's not what I bought my Volt for.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I wasn't being critical. I just meant it's unusual. It shows how versatile the Volt is. It even works as a gas car. I wonder if anyone has ever done a poll of lifetime mileages. It would be interesting to see what the distribution of lifetime mileages.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Congratulations. Deleting HomeLink was lame but I don't miss it. I took the clip off the garage door opener and used double sided tape to stick it to the back of the visor. Actually it sticks to the mirror cover. There is a depression in the headliner that the opener fits into and the visor fits up flush. I actually prefer this to HomeLink because I just reach into the gap above the visor and press the button on the opener, without having to look up for the button as I used to do with HomeLink. Yes, it is lame that it was deleted but I don't miss it.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on the car. Your first generation Volt served you well and hopefully so will the second generation. Yes the lack of a garage door opener is just a puzzling pain but I think you'll have to just move on from the CDs -- not exactly an 8 Track but pretty retro! :D (Wonder if this is an accessory you can get? That's how it works for the ELR which has multiple USB ports and Bluetooth. I use Spotify in Off-Line mode and Bluetooth -- up to 3300 songs and a lot easier to navigate with the phone than with the console).

I feel your pain on the MPG. We use the ELR for all long trips because it's comfortable AND it has ACC, which is absolutely fantastic for these types of trips. As a consequence the MPG is always under 100. That said, you are really going to like ACC. Ditto for the Blind Spot detection which I suspect you also have. That is a feature you'll find most useful even when not using ACC.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Is the Volt's ACC Stop and go?
GM docs do state it is "full speed adaptive cruise control"....makes me think it works in stop and go.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I almost never come to a complete stop -- close but not there -- but if memory serves me correctly on the ELR you have to re-engage it once it comes to a complete stop, at least after some period of time. IOW having it be "full speed" is accurate -- it works at all speeds -- but that doesn't necessarily mean it automatically re-engages. Loboc uses it in bad traffic so he'd be able to tell us.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I almost never come to a complete stop -- close but not there -- but if memory serves me correctly on the ELR you have to re-engage it once it comes to a complete stop, at least after some period of time. IOW having it be "full speed" is accurate -- it works at all speeds -- but that doesn't necessarily mean it automatically re-engages. Loboc uses it in bad traffic so he'd be able to tell us.
On the ELR, once it comes to a complete stop it will not go again all by itself. You either touch the accelerator or hit the Resume button. I think there's some timeout where if it detects that traffic has moved ahead of you it will alert you. As if the people behind you aren't already honking their horns!

·
4,850 Posts
Your lifetime fuel economy is the lowest I've heard of. You must use the gas generator almost all the time. What's the use of having an electric car if you use gas all the time? It's odd. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're talking about.
He has over 50,000 gas-free miles, that's more than many have.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a poll of lifetime mileages. It would be interesting to see what the distribution of lifetime mileages.
Yes... VoltStats.net

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the ELR, once it comes to a complete stop it will not go again all by itself. You either touch the accelerator or hit the Resume button. I think there's some timeout where if it detects that traffic has moved ahead of you it will alert you. As if the people behind you aren't already honking their horns!
The owner's manual says "[...] and slow your vehicle to a stop behind that vehicle. If the stopped vehicle ahead has driven away and ACC has not resumed, the vehicle ahead indicator will flash as a reminder to check traffic before proceeding. In addition, 3 beeps will sound. See 'Go Notifier' in collision detection systems under vehicle personalization, pg 141" (from pg 200 of owners manual)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Word of mouth has it that there was a calibration issue that delayed start of salable vehicle production for ACC. That being said, it seems to be working fine. Only once in the long trip with no traffic ahead, it seemed to slow me only slightly, as perhaps a false positive, but they quickly resumed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congratulations, Bob... and nice color, it reminds me of mine! :) I gave up waiting and bought mine without it a couple of months ago.

I was on the freeway and the guy in front of me lost his tailpipe. There was no time to react and it hit my lower front bumper, then I ran over it. I wonder if the ACC system would have caught it and applied the brakes in time to avoid it? (however, the guy behind me probably would have rear-ended me)

ChuckJ

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The OP 's 53 MPG is still better than a Prius in the same local/highway mix and a TON more fun to drive. I too use my Volt for long distance driving and find the battery powered A/C to be awesome for long waits at stores, camping, etc. The Volt is the best all around car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I raised my lifetime average from 53 to 57 by driving 25 miles today on battery - smile!

·
Registered
129 Posts
The owner's manual says "[...] and slow your vehicle to a stop behind that vehicle. If the stopped vehicle ahead has driven away and ACC has not resumed, the vehicle ahead indicator will flash as a reminder to check traffic before proceeding. In addition, 3 beeps will sound. See 'Go Notifier' in collision detection systems under vehicle personalization, pg 141" (from pg 200 of owners manual)
In the ELR, our "Go Notifier" is a triple-buzz from the Safety Alert Seat. :) I don't remember if we get beeps or not...the buzzing is usually enough to wake you up!

--Chris

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks Bob for sharing the info and the photo. You look very happy and I think you have exactly what I am hoping to get. I love the red and my favorite cars / truck have been this color. I tend to drive my vehicles to the ground and it was satisfying to hear you have 144K on you '11 and still going strong and looking good. Very nice.

The other thing I appreciate in your photo is that we get to see the different front end the ACC brings with a Volt. You're the first post I have read for a Volt with ACC and hope you keep us updated to how this works for you. It is one option I am uncertain I would get since I have a 22 mile curvy mountain commute to work with no stoplights in Western NC. An absolutely breathtaking drive which I bet will be ideal for a '17 Volt. But not sure ACC is really necessary.

One other kind tidbit to share from our forum is this link for an option to install a rearview mirror with HomeLink:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?242842-Rearview-Mirror-w-Homelink-for-Gen-II-Volt-45.00-shipped&highlight=homelink

There are a few others and I think I saw one that had good install instructions.

I would love to hear what other options you have. I know it is not polite to ask...How much?? I am wondering how much wiggle room I have. The dealership who have been the most helpful since I started this quest are trying to be firm on the MSRP. I would understand if you would rather not say or prefer to private message.

Much Obliged
Jon

1 - 20 of 47 Posts