1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Are those LT wheels, or Premier wheels?

·
Registered
251 Posts
So there seems to be very little benefit buying a second set of factory LT wheels to use for winter wheels instead of just buying a set off Tire Rack with winter tires mounted by them... (And no I'm not getting those crappy steel wheels for winter, I still like looking at my car during the winter months :p)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Want to really reduce un-sprung weight? Consider going with 16s or, better yet, 15s, instead of the stock-sized "wagon" wheels. Smaller wheels are lighter and cheaper, and so are the tires that fit on them. The only thing you give up is a bit of initial turn-in steering response. Other than that, you'll experience dynamic improvements across the board. It's pretty much win/win. I've done it myself. I went from 17s to 15s on my '11 Golf and lost 9 lbs per corner...

·
Registered
384 Posts
As an update, I've just finished putting together my winter tire/wheel package: AR895 15x7s with 205/65-15 Michelin X-Ice XI3s. If the weight figures quoted here for 17" LT wheels are correct, I netted a 3lb reduction (per corner). Probably on the edge of being able to notice rough road handling improvement, though a ride improvement due to those nice tall sidewalls should definitely be noticeable.

·
Registered
568 Posts
As an update, I've just finished putting together my winter tire/wheel package: AR895 15x7s with 205/65-15 Michelin X-Ice XI3s. If the weight figures quoted here for 17" LT wheels are correct, I netted a 3lb reduction (per corner). Probably on the edge of being able to notice rough road handling improvement, though a ride improvement due to those nice tall sidewalls should definitely be noticeable.
Do you have this installed on the car? or just pricing/ordering at this point?

The big thing I'd be worried about with 15" wheels is clearing the brake caliper... have you already made sure this isn't an issue with those 15" rims?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry about the delay. Actually, though I was sure they would fit, Tire Rack did confirm that their offerings would fit...and now that I have them mounted, I test-fit one on the left front and there's even more clearance on these than there was on the 15s they sold me for my '11 Golf (also replacing stock 17s). Don't let anyone tell you that 15s won't fit on our gen2 Volts. Just make sure to shop with a supplier who has measured both the car and the specific wheels they're offering. Also, make sure that whoever mounts the tires on them uses the thinner-style balance weights behind the wheel spokes...just for added clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dr M

Thought i might run with your suggestion ... appears that the Michilins X are not available any more ... maybe out of stock? did you go for the sensors as well?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dr M

Thought i might run with your suggestion ... appears that the Michilins X are not available any more ... maybe out of stock? did you go for the sensors as well?
Jeez, they (TireRack) are still advertising Michelin X-Ice XI3s...are they just temporarily out of stock? These are winter tires we're talking about, right? As to the TPMS sensors, I found the correct GM sensors on Amazon for $30 apiece...be sure to get the correct ones. 2016s use 315mHz, while 2017s use 433mHz. Wish I could remember the part numbers...

Another added benefit to this 15" combination: the tire side walls hang out farther than the wheel lips, so the first sound you hear when brushing a curb will not be grinding metal. I found out the hard way with the stock 17s...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dr M

Jeez, they (TireRack) are still advertising Michelin X-Ice XI3s...are they just temporarily out of stock? These are winter tires we're talking about, right? As to the TPMS sensors, I found the correct GM sensors on Amazon for $30 apiece...be sure to get the correct ones. 2016s use 315mHz, while 2017s use 433mHz. Wish I could remember the part numbers...

Another added benefit to this 15" combination: the tire side walls hang out farther than the wheel lips, so the first sound you hear when brushing a curb will not be grinding metal. I found out the hard way with the stock 17s...
As an update:

I found the sensor part numbers. The correct number for 2017 Volts (433mHz) is 13598773. The correct number for 2016 Volts (315mHz) is 13598772. Just Google "best Price" or whatever. At the time I got mine, Amazon had the best price.

I finally got the wheels/tires mounted on the car on 11/15/'16. The sensor registration/learning procedure went exactly as outlined in the owner's manual, and took all of one or two minutes. Turn on the car and select the tire pressure monitoring page in the D.I.C. Then hold down the center button (check mark) on the right steering wheel spoke until the D.I.C. switches from the tire pressure readout to "Learning Mode". Then, leaving the car on, exit the vehicle and place the stub on the front of the learning tool against the left front tire sidewall, near the valve stem. Press and hold the "TX" button (the green L.E.D. will flash rapidly) until the car's horn beeps once...then move on to the right front tire and repeat, then the right rear, then the left rear. After the left rear tire is done, the car's horn will beep twice...and you're all done.

As far as the effects of the -2" wheel/tire swap...well, the winter Michelins are definitely louder than the stock AS Michelins, but it's only noticeable because the car is so quiet. Sharp bumps are no longer anywhere near as jarring as they are with the 17s, and otherwise the car drives and handles pretty much as it did with the stock setup. I can whole-heartedly recommend this setup to anyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts