GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Volt with intermittent locking of the Infotainment system. Seems to be random, but most often associated with when using Apple CarPlay with or without USB to Iphone 5SE.
My Phone has the latest IOS. The volt has been in three times for service.
The last time I took the Volt in for service at our local San Diego Chevy service center I was able to clearly demonstrate and repeat the issue while the tech was sitting in the vehicle. He said he had never heard of this issue and asked if I leased or owned (I am an owner, so no swapping for another Volt I guess...). The tech said he would look into the issue and call me back.
Weeks later no word from Chevy Dealer. I left a VM and website inquiry with the service department, no call back. I called the 1-800 number and spoke with the infotainment division. They (corporate) contacted my dealer and I was informed local Chevy service would not be working on Volts as "IT WAS TOO STRESSFUL FOR OUR SERVICE DEPARTMENT TO WORK ON VOLTS".
I have never heard of this before. Anyone else had this experience? corporate Chevy referred me to another San Diego Chevy service.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Sucks but if they don't want to work on it best to move on to the next dealer...

To comment on your lease/owner comment, it's a common misconception that dealerships own leased vehicles...They don't, the lender does...The dealership is the middle man between the lender and "leasor"/buyer...They don't really even have the power to swap vehicles unless the car hasn't yet been registered...

Yet it was a bold question/poor customer service question to ask, clearly they "value" folks who purchase...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt with intermittent locking of the Infotainment system. Seems to be random, but most often associated with when using Apple CarPlay with or without USB to Iphone 5SE.
My Phone has the latest IOS. The volt has been in three times for service.
The last time I took the Volt in for service at our local San Diego Chevy service center I was able to clearly demonstrate and repeat the issue while the tech was sitting in the vehicle. He said he had never heard of this issue and asked if I leased or owned (I am an owner, so no swapping for another Volt I guess...). The tech said he would look into the issue and call me back.
Weeks later no word from Chevy Dealer. I left a VM and website inquiry with the service department, no call back. I called the 1-800 number and spoke with the infotainment division. They (corporate) contacted my dealer and I was informed local Chevy service would not be working on Volts as "IT WAS TOO STRESSFUL FOR OUR SERVICE DEPARTMENT TO WORK ON VOLTS".
I have never heard of this before. Anyone else had this experience? corporate Chevy referred me to another San Diego Chevy service.
Can you name the dealer who won't work on Volts (and whether they sell Volts) and the one you ended up using who will work on Volts?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Sounds almost comical, why not just say there's not enough Volt service biz for them to keep one tech trained?

"when using Apple CarPlay with or without USB to Iphone 5SE. "

This doesn't make much sense. CP only works with USB, right? No USB, then it's BT, right? I've never had my iPhone 6 cause my infotainment center to lock up, but I wonder if the older iPhone 5 is too underpowered? Also, any USB issues? I've found that on phones that the plughole can collect lint, enough so, the plug can be fractionally misaligned. I use compressed air to blow out the lint in the plughole. It actually works when the USB goes a little wonky.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Odd. GM uses a near identical infotainment in many of it's other cars. In fact I believe the 2017 Malibu and 2018 Equinox use the same head unit as the Gen II Volt.

So if that dealer want's to continue to service Chevy's they better learn how to deal with it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Too stressful to work on GM infotainment modules? It sounds like the tech(s) there are in the wrong line of work.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Sounds almost comical, why not just say there's not enough Volt service biz for them to keep one tech trained?

"when using Apple CarPlay with or without USB to Iphone 5SE. "

, but I wonder if the older iPhone 5 is too underpowered?
I have a 5SE, it is the same processor as the 6S. Definitely not underpowered.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Odd. GM uses a near identical infotainment in many of it's other cars. In fact I believe the 2017 Malibu and 2018 Equinox use the same head unit as the Gen II Volt.

So if that dealer want's to continue to service Chevy's they better learn how to deal with it.
+1. They have about a dozen 2016 Chevy vehicles that come AA and Carplay and more on the way. They won't be in business long with that attitude.

http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/android-auto-update.html

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Like some CEO's recently told Trump, it's not that there aren't jobs, it's that there aren't enough educated, qualified people to fill them.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
That excuse is flakey enough to make me wonder if they were just trying to take a mild approach to firing fastdds as a customer. "This guy's been bugging us about an intermittent problem with his iPhone for weeks and we got nothing to tell him anymore."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts