GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this worthy of a new thread.

The 2017 Chevrolet Volt with ACC is now officially open for ordering as per the Volt twitter page.
http://twitter.com/ChevyVolt/status/720313695792816130

Also it appears the ACC equipped units will get a unique front end (likely for the radar).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whoa! I noticed that the MSRP for the ACC is $595... not $1200 as some have stated.

That option will definitely be included in my purchase.

Dumb question: does anyone know if the ACC works at speeds less than 30mph? I know that standard CC disengages at low speeds... what about the ACC?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Dumb question: does anyone know if the ACC works at speeds less than 30mph? I know that standard CC disengages at low speeds... what about the ACC?
It seems that it does. The 2017 owners manual says that the car will come to a stop if the car ahead stops, and that when the car ahead pulls away you have to tap the accelerator pedal to re-engage ACC. That's to prevent it from doing something it shouldn't do, such as accelerating through the stop sign that the car ahead was stopped at, or to let the next guy in line get in front of you during a zipper merge, etc.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That is too bad... That removes one of the big advantages of ACC in stop and go traffic... I've driven a number of other cars with ACC and none of them have required that that be done...

The 2017 owners manual says that the car will come to a stop if the car ahead stops, and that when the car ahead pulls away you have to tap the accelerator pedal to re-engage ACC.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
That is too bad... That removes one of the big advantages of ACC in stop and go traffic... I've driven a number of other cars with ACC and none of them have required that that be done...
Not having experienced ACC, I can only opine using engineering logic: from a safety aspect, do I want to ensure that the driver is cognizant of the forward movement of his car after coming to a stop via ACC, or do I want to remove that aspect by having the car automatically start up without his input? Obviously, from a safety aspect, I want him to be cognizant. I would have designed the ACC to work as currently designed by the GM engineers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not having experienced ACC, I can only opine using engineering logic: from a safety aspect, do I want to ensure that the driver is cognizant of the forward movement of his car after coming to a stop via ACC, or do I want to remove that aspect by having the car automatically start up without his input? Obviously, from a safety aspect, I want him to be cognizant. I would have designed the ACC to work as currently designed by the GM engineers.
I've been quite pleased with the ACC in the BMW i3. Comes to a complete stop when needed and will then take off again on its own. But only if you've been stopped for a short period of time (5 seconds?). After a bit it will 'turn off', most noticeably at a stop light or really bad stop-and-go traffic. At that point it requires you to either tap the Resume button or the throttle, and then it will go right back to following the bumper in front of you.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
I've been quite pleased with the ACC in the BMW i3. Comes to a complete stop when needed and will then take off again on its own. But only if you've been stopped for a short period of time (5 seconds?). After a bit it will 'turn off', most noticeably at a stop light or really bad stop-and-go traffic. At that point it requires you to either tap the Resume button or the throttle, and then it will go right back to following the bumper in front of you.
My Tesla will stop with traffic and then take off again on its own (named Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC)). I've seen it wait over a minute and will still go. Sometimes it will go to a hold mode where you have to lightly touch the accel pedal. Honestly, I don't know the exact scenario it does this under. It may have to do with how traffic is moving around the car or something.

Looking forward to them adding reading traffic lights to auto-pilot so it will stop at red ones without using TACC and having a car in front of you. Mobileye (camera and some video/image processing company Tesla uses) has videos of their hardware and software recognizing traffic lights.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Apparently Acura, BMW, Audi, MB and VW do not share this opinion (these are the ones that I have personally driven with ACC)... None of theirs requires it be re-enabled once you have come to a stop...

At least make it a menu choice... As I said, it would disqualify it from consideration for me.

I would have designed the ACC to work as currently designed by the GM engineers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
this is still better than the system that I have in my 3rd Gen prius right now that disengages at speeds under 35km/h. If there's any traffic that slows to a crawl on the highway, its basically useless.

I can see how it'd be a seen as a downgrade though if you've experienced better systems out there though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My wife's 2015 Subaru Outback requires touching the accelerator to re-enable ACC after coming to a complete stop. It's not a big deal. I'd argue that until cars are fully autonomous, requiring at least a smidgen of driver input will ensure that people are paying attention to the road.

Tesla disabled some of their car's autonomy after finding that drivers were putting way too much trust in their software, then sitting in the back seat, reading, etc. Thus proving that wealth and intelligence are not always directly correlated.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
How do the ones that automatically follow cars after a stop deal with stop lights and stop signs on country roads? Will they acknowledge cross traffic and yellow/red lights?

For those who are urban drivers, there are 10 times as many highways that are 2 lanes than freeways. But those highways have occasional stop lights or more commonly stop signs when 2 highways meet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How do the ones that automatically follow cars after a stop deal with stop lights and stop signs on country roads? Will they acknowledge cross traffic and yellow/red lights?

For those who are urban drivers, there are 10 times as many highways that are 2 lanes than freeways. But those highways have occasional stop lights or more commonly stop signs when 2 highways meet.
Of course they don't deal with that... Nor do they acknowledge Yield signs, suggested curve limits, panicked deer running straight into your passenger window, and any number of other situations. ACC at this point should be looked at as a highway sanity saver... You know that guy you get behind on the interstate that likes to run 80+ MPH...zoom around you...pull into your lane and then slow down to 65? Then you pass him, get back into the right lane only to be passed by the same guy doing 80+ MPH again? Well...with ACC, you just accept defeat to idiocy and just make sure your a radar controlled 3-4 seconds behind the guy. As far as I'm concerned, until we have full and trustworthy autonomous driving...I also believe that driver involvement is still paramount.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Of course they don't deal with that... Nor do they acknowledge Yield signs, suggested curve limits, panicked deer running straight into your passenger window, and any number of other situations. ACC at this point should be looked at as a highway sanity saver... You know that guy you get behind on the interstate that likes to run 80+ MPH...zoom around you...pull into your lane and then slow down to 65? Then you pass him, get back into the right lane only to be passed by the same guy doing 80+ MPH again? Well...with ACC, you just accept defeat to idiocy and just make sure your a radar controlled 3-4 seconds behind the guy. As far as I'm concerned, until we have full and trustworthy autonomous driving...I also believe that driver involvement is still paramount.
It was sort of rebuttal to those who think ACC should always immediately follow a car after a stop in traffic. They do not understand that most highways have stop signs/lights, and these roads "stop and go" only at stop signs, not because of congestion.

Freeways do not become dangerous if you do not keep up with traffic. Western 2 lanes do. If you impede traffic, people will pass into oncoming traffic, something that does not occur on freeways. So you could argue there is more benefit from ACC on highways than freeways.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Based on what I've noticed in kW on the Volt display while experimenting with sucking up to trucks, podding via ACC and little bit more code ought to be tremendous boon on freeways. I could even see cars autonomously trading off the role of lead, to "keep it fair. " :)

I believe the Germans have experimented pretty extensively with podding, with encouraging results. Just required cheap but denser microprocessors to make it possible.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Freeways do not become dangerous if you do not keep up with traffic. Western 2 lanes do. If you impede traffic, people will pass into oncoming traffic, something that does not occur on freeways. So you could argue there is more benefit from ACC on highways than freeways.
ACC will lower the speed of the car to match a slower car ahead of you but it won't raise the speed of the car beyond the cruise control set speed. So it won't help in that sense unless you set the cruise control speed faster than anyone else is likely to go.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can someone who has the 2017 with ACC please answer this question? Does the automatic low-speed braking also work with the ACC at highway speeds? For example, you are following with ACC on and traffic is varying between 50 and 70MPH due to congestion, when the car in front of you stops quickly to either a very slow speed or even a full stop. The specs say that slow-speed braking only works between 5 and 37 MPH. Does this mean you smack into that car in front of you because you were traveling in the 50-70MPH range? Or does ACC bring it down to a safe stop in conjunction with the low speed braking?

Thanks.

Frank in Michigan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts