GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the wind buffeting on my 2017 Volt is being felt throughout the airframe, lightly but definitely there. Am I the only one living this wind problem with closed windows?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't have that problem with closed windows, but open windows can knock my eardrums out depending on speed!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Never noticed that in my 2017 , even at high speed. Have you double-checked that all the windows are tightly closed? If you do have an one open window - then yes, you will get buffeting and the only solution is to crack open a kitty corner second window...

·
Registered
41 Posts
This was a HUGE problem in my 2013 Volt ... and still is. GM supposedly offered a "free fix" for ahwile if you took your car to a dealership that was willing to perform the corrections. I never took my car in, because I was introduced to the problem AFTER the free period was expired, so anytime I drive with only 1 window open (Any window) above 25-30 mph, it makes me wonder what on Earth can be causing such a horrible problem ... nearly bad enough that you can actually FEEL the air percussions on your body and ears. I either have to open a second window about 2 inches or so ... or simply roll up the 1 window until it's only open about 4 inches or less. I may still go talk to my dealer to see if they'll perform the fix for me at a greatly reduced cost. On my 2018 Volt, I do know the problem still exists, but not NEARLY as bad as on the '13, Thank God!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
The fix for the wind noise was for the side mirror only. The buffeting when driving with one open window was not diminished.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Driving with windows closed is more aerodynamic than driving with windows open (the back of the car acts as a parachute). If you want an open air experience you should be driving a convertible as well (which I have).

I had a Dodge Colt with after market sun roof. It was good when glass tilted up but when you took the glass out it sounded like there was a helicopter over head.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Check the weather strips all around all the doors. If any of them are loose you'll get a lot of wind noise and even wind buffeting. If you find any that are loose, push them back into place and see if that fixes it. If it does, get some super glue and glue the offending weather strip in place.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Check the weather strips all around all the doors. If any of them are loose you'll get a lot of wind noise and even wind buffeting. If you find any that are loose, push them back into place and see if that fixes it. If it does, get some super glue and glue the offending weather strip in place.
I would use weatherstrip adhesive. Super glue may not work in that application and it's not flexible. It works better in hard applications.

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I had a Gen 1. HORRIBLE without the fix. Much better after I did it.

Since I heard the original Gen 1 without the fix, the Gen 2 seems fairly quiet to me. Would definitely start checking the weather stripping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for your inputs/comments/suggestions. I'm sure we haven't seen the end of discussions about buffeting.... What drags my attention is the feeling that under certain wind conditions, moderately strong and gusty, this buffeting seems to creep into the frame and eventually I feel what seems to be a vertical vibration. It is very light but it is there. Anybody else feel this vibration??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mythbusters actually proved that driving with the windows down did not affect mpg until reaching speeds above 45 mph ... although that was on a large SUV, but I would guess that the results would be near the same on a smaller vehicle. I too have a convertible for the "open air" experience, but a person should be able to drive a car with their windows down if they so choose and NOT have to worry about blowing an eardrum (or at least that's what it feels like would happen) because of the force of the wind buffeting at even low speeds. In ICE engines with a belt driven A/C compressor, people leave windows open at slow speeds because of engine drag and reduced efficiency. That's not really an issue in the Volt, as it's not a belt driven compressor. Then again, some people just like fresh air once in awhile when driving and shouldn't have to own a convertible in order to do so.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I recall my 2012 having severe buffeting with the windows rolled down. Cracking the two windows on the passenger side about an inch was an ok compromise: air circulation but no buffeting.

My 2014 seems not to exhibit buffeting to any strong degree, even at 50 mph. I don't know why that is. I haven't had the side mirror treatment either. I keep the windows rolled up at speeds greater than ~50 mph to improve aerodynamics and efficiency. Ah, I do have the Voltshelf in the back. Next time I think of it, I'll remove it and experiment.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Mythbusters actually proved that driving with the windows down did not affect mpg until reaching speeds above 45 mph ... although that was on a large SUV, but I would guess that the results would be near the same on a smaller vehicle. Then again, some people just like fresh air once in awhile when driving and shouldn't have to own a convertible in order to do so.
The larger, the more inefficient the vehicle, the less effect the windows down will have on gas mileage (think semi with windows rolled down). The smaller, the more efficient the vehicle the more effect it will have on gas mileage. If you want fresh air turn on the fan with out the air recirculation on. If you want air flow in the face get a convertible or motorcycle. It's all relative. I remember in my younger years when I would drive the summer on a motorcycle and went back to a car in the fall, it felt so confining.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you want an open air experience you should be driving a convertible as well (which I have).
While I realize this car was designed for most efficiency possible, when driving around town, I like the windows down. I don't want a convertible and I don't want a small hole (vented from the outside) teasing me with almost fresh air. It took me a while to figure out how to get the windows down with the right amount of air flow and least amount of annoyance. It's funny how on a really nice day if I don't have far to drive, I just grab my truck and say fuq it!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I used to be a windows down kind of guy, and even once had and loved my Miata convertable for several years.

Now I'm getting to be an old man with tinnitus. I never thought the day would come where I would almost never want the windows down, but it has. The peace and quiet of the Volt is now truly a joy.

If it wasn't for grabbing tickets in parking ramps, I could practically seal the windows shut.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think that some folks applied the WeatherTech window wind deflectors on the model 1 and it helped with wind buffeting.
Unfortunately, they don't have them for the model 2 YET. Another company has them but they seem to be tape on & I am not too keen to buy them. I signed up to be notified once WeatherTech has them for the model 2. I would suggest everyone that wants these, sign their form.
==========

I have the 17 Volt Prem. I don't have any buffeting with the windows closed at any speed. I thought this was normal.
-- However, if I open a window about an inch, the wind becomes annoying, beating like a drum. I have to either open the window more or open a window on the other side of the car. That seems to take care of it.
-- But this isn't unique.. ALL of my cars have the same effect depending on window positions.
-- Speaking of SUN ROOFS, HEY GM! ! ! !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts