GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Went to run an errand, car powered up as usual, put foot on brake pedal to shift into reverse and car does not respond. In the DIC the following message appears "shift into Park" so no matter what gear I select the car doesn't move. The CEL ICON is on. Call On-Star and since I have the basic package there is nothing they will do. I can put the car into neutral.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: went out to car to try it again which was 10 minutes later and the car powered on and allowed me to shift into gear and let me drive it. The CEL went out. How odd. This is my first anomaly after almost 6 years of Volt ownership - have owned 3 volts since March 2012.

Aside from that anomaly I'm perplexed by my conversation with the OnStar rep about what service I'm entitled to with just the Basic Plan. Is the B2B Road Side Assistance separate from OnStar?

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
This "shift to park" seems like a signature issue of the Gen 2 models, like the bad bearing cage or the hung bluetooth connection were for some Gen 1's. I think there is a service bulletin on it somewhere.

One potential cause is a misaligned battery cable connection plate under the front hood. See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...-locked-steering-40MPH!&p=3908833#post3908833

You should easily be able to eyeball this to see if this is relevant to your car, Bazinga.

·
Registered
790 Posts
There are a few causes for the 'Shift to Park' issue. If you search the forum, you will find more information.

Two that I am aware of are:

1. There is a TSB campaign for an issue with I believe the HV battery fuse and the cabling that runs to it which can apparently cause the Shift to Park message to appear and the car to lose propulsion power. GM sent out a notice about this one.

2. There is an issue (which I have experienced) with the shifter solenoid which causes the STP message to appear when you put the car in park after a drive and attempt to power down. Apparently the fix for this one is to replace the shifter assembly. The dealer ordered a replacement for me but it's been on backorder for quite a while.

I don't believe OnStar basic covers diagnostics.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions:

1. I checked the battery cable fitting and it looks OK, all three fitting are aligned perfectly.

2. I had all three recall's done this summer so I think I have that covered.

Hate to say this but like my PC's and even my iMAC every once in a while the code goes goofy for what ever reason, fixes itself and never occurs again. I hate when then happens but at least I'm not stranded.

I'll be driving a lot today - fingers crossed. But I do need to read my Owners Manual re Road Side Assistance as provided by the warranty and who to call vs OnStar.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This "shift to park" seems like a signature issue of the Gen 2 models, like the bad bearing cage or the hung bluetooth connection were for some Gen 1's. I think there is a service bulletin on it somewhere.

One potential cause is a misaligned battery cable connection plate under the front hood. See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...-locked-steering-40MPH!&p=3908833#post3908833

You should easily be able to eyeball this to see if this is relevant to your car, Bazinga.
Could you please update my Subject line since the problem has been resolved.

And Merry Christmas

·
Registered
418 Posts
Take the car to the dealer and get it looked at. It's under warranty, and maybe they didn't do the correct recall. A number of people here and on the Facebook page have had the shifter replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It could just be a software anomaly. The dealer should be able to check if your car has had the latest calibrations updated. Sometimes they find things during the pre-delivery inspection. The codes that were thrown should tell them what to check for.

·
Registered
949 Posts
A number of people here and on the Facebook page have had the shifter replaced.
I am one of those, just had the shift assembly replaced last week - was not under warranty as I have 56k miles on the Volt, so that was $527.

But my situation unlike Bazinga's - my car worked fine and no CEL, but about 1/3 of the time when shifting to park and turning car off the DIC would say "action required: shift to park" and the car would only shut down partially. Jiggling the shift handle just the right way could get it to recognize the car was indeed in park, but who knows how long before that would not do the trick. I took it to the dealer and service rep said yes that sounds familiar and shift assembly needs replacing, and now all seems fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am one of those, just had the shift assembly replaced last week - was not under warranty as I have 56k miles on the Volt, so that was $527.
Wow that seems very expensive to replace a shifter. Unfortunately my Purebred English Bulldog loves to chew shifters. I won't let him near the volt, even more so now. He chewed the column shift on the Z71 and then he destroyed the 98 Pontiac Grand Prix's shifter. In the Grand Prix the springs were out and the button was out, couldn't even put it in reverse. Took me about 20 mins to engineer a solution in the parking lot to shift in reverse and then to drive.

One important note I learned with the Grand Prix when I was trying everything to shift - the alarm system is tied to the transmission select, so when I was trying to manually force it to neutral I set off the alarm and many shoppers were getting annoyed with me me. Still wasn't as bad as when I broke a ball joint and the front wheel collapsed in a parking lot - everyone thought a bomb went off. :)

Will try to read up on how to replace a Volt's shifter since between my Bulldog and GM Engineering, I made need the knowledge!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Are you able to pull the codes? I'd be interested to see what they are.

Last winter, my '16 threw about 8 codes after a remote start cycle, all related to contactors and valves in unexpected states. Logically the car should have A) cancelled the remote start event and B) probably switched to ICE operation as a fallback (which really depends on the code), but did neither. It remained on during the remote start, and drove full EV all the way home. The dealer pulled the codes a day later, said none of them were active, and ruled it as a computer malfunction. Haven't had an issue since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts