GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Close to buying a 2017 Volt Premier (fully loaded with features including ACC). Likely will be a factory order.

Got the invoice price for the model + options from CarCostCanada. Wanted to know if anyone has recently bought a 2016/2017 Volt Premier fully loaded in the GTA and what price they got. Any good dealers?

Thanks!

PS> I'm new to this forum :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good luck getting any deals with factory orders.

All I ended up getting is $500 loyalty and $750 auto show credit... and I know a GM Board member! the Car was exempt from executive referral and supplier referral (I qualified for both).

You might have better luck depending on the boxes you tick and optional extras (I opted for none of them).

best of luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I factory ordered a fully loaded 2017 Volt Premier (Driver Confidence I and II, plus ACC) and I got $2,000 off MSRP on top of my Auto Show $750 rebate and the $500 GM Conquest discount. This was in the west GTA. Negotiate by e-mail, contact many dealerships, and don't seem to be in a hurry.

You can see my post in the "Anyone order a new 2017 Volt from Toronto" thread with all the details on my deal. Here is the link for you (don't know if I can post that yet): gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?227714-Anyone-order-a-new-2017-Volt-from-Toronto&p=3342562#post3342562

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bought mine 2-3 weeks ago. I also used Car Cost Canada to help with the negotiation. Dealer took $2,000 off the MSRP, $750 auto show voucher, and $500 for applying for a GM Visa card. Dealer also gave $14,000 for the Ontario green vehicle rebate instead of the usual $12,747.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought mine 2-3 weeks ago. I also used Car Cost Canada to help with the negotiation. Dealer took $2,000 off the MSRP, $750 auto show voucher, and $500 for applying for a GM Visa card. Dealer also gave $14,000 for the Ontario green vehicle rebate instead of the usual $12,747.
Thanks all for the great and helpful answers!

I'm guessing the auto show voucher only applies if you went to the auto show? Strange they gave you 14,000 but I'm sure you are not complaining :)

Which dealer did you get this deal from?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I factory ordered a fully loaded 2017 Volt Premier (Driver Confidence I and II, plus ACC) and I got $2,000 off MSRP on top of my Auto Show $750 rebate and the $500 GM Conquest discount. This was in the west GTA. Negotiate by e-mail, contact many dealerships, and don't seem to be in a hurry.

You can see my post in the "Anyone order a new 2017 Volt from Toronto" thread with all the details on my deal. Here is the link for you (don't know if I can post that yet): gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?227714-Anyone-order-a-new-2017-Volt-from-Toronto&p=3342562#post3342562
Thanks for sharing that thread - strange I completely missed it :)

You truly got all the options :) The charge port light and ambient lighting seemed expensive. After watching a youtube video of someone driving at night (search for "2016 Chevrolet Volt Premier - WR TV POV Night Drive" on Youtube) the cabin seemed bright enough.

I was planning to get the protection package for the floor mats and cargo mats. I read that the factory ones are a bit short and don't fully cover the area. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought 2 volts in the GTA, both off the lot. In addition to the government rebate, I got $5k off a 2012 in September 2012 and $6.5k off a 2015 in January 2016.

Obviously you cannot do that well right now with a 2017, but it shows what can happen if you are willing to wait.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was planning to get the protection package for the floor mats and cargo mats. I read that the factory ones are a bit short and don't fully cover the area. Can anyone confirm this?
The factory mats are garbage and won't do anything for you in the winter. I ordered a set of Husky Liners and they are awesome. You may be able to get the dealer to add it in for you. These are the ones I got https://www.partsengine.ca/husky-liners-c-217.aspx

·
Registered
156 Posts
I realize this thread is about the 2017 but I would like to share my experience with my 2016 factory order.

Ordered a 2016 Volt Premier + Driver Confidence I and II last October. I also did my negotiations through email. Emailed a handful of dealerships from east to west (and one or two up north). I finally found one that offered me the cheapest price OTR (on-the-road).

Side story: Drove west to said dealership ready to sign but got stood up when the sales person tried to reneged on the deal - offer was more expensive than originally negotiated for. I laughed and asked for my deposit back. I was thrown multiple lower offers while I was leaving. Did some quick calculations, it would have still been slightly above the original deal. Tempted but already visibly upset, I said "no thanks, you just lost a potential customer". Called the 2nd dealership on my list the moment I stepped out and set up an appointment. Days later, I drove east and signed the paperwork at dealership #2. No headaches.
EDIT: CLARIFICATION TWO POSTS BELOW

I didn't really care how much off MSRP the dealerships were offering in the negotiation process, I just wanted the bottom line... OTR price (after BS dealership fees, HST, gov rebate, gm incentives). Qualified for employee/preferred pricing but the Volt was excluded (and still is). Had a CCC report to compare. I ended up paying 1.3% over invoice - on a factory order! Very happy with it :)

It sounds like everyone is getting some decent deals in here. Good luck to you OP!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Drove west to said dealership ready to sign but got stood up when the sales person tried to reneged on the deal - offer was more expensive than originally negotiated for. I laughed and asked for my deposit back.
Can you clarify a bit what the sequence of events was here? Was this trip to the dealer your very first one? And if so, did you make a deposit electronically over the Internet?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can you clarify a bit what the sequence of events was here? Was this trip to the dealer your very first one? And if so, did you make a deposit electronically over the Internet?
Oh right. Sorry, I am mistaken. Let me clarify as I too am confused with what I wrote above.

Once the numbers were finalized through email, I visited dealer #1 to put down a deposit (swiped my credit card) and sign the papers - got a purchase agreement as well as a build order. Almost two weeks later, I get a call from dealer #1 saying that they are unable to provide me the car at that price, even after signing at the price discussed. So I drove back to the dealership the day after. The price now was $1500 more. I said no, and requested for my deposit back. They tried getting me back into the room and dropped it down to $1000, which would be $500 more than previously negotiated. Tempted but already pissed off, I said no and vehemently requested to get my deposit back. It was credited to me at the terminal. Said my goodbyes and off to dealership #2 I went, several days later.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Oh right. Sorry, I am mistaken. Let me clarify as I too am confused with what I wrote above.
Thanks for the clarification. I want to try this when the Bolt becomes available so I'm very interested to hear the nuts and bolts of it. I assume that you probably had some back and forth in the e-mails with the various dealers before your (initial) decision of which one to go with...?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi there,

Close to buying a 2017 Volt Premier (fully loaded with features including ACC). Likely will be a factory order.

Got the invoice price for the model + options from CarCostCanada. Wanted to know if anyone has recently bought a 2016/2017 Volt Premier fully loaded in the GTA and what price they got. Any good dealers?

Thanks!

PS> I'm new to this forum :)
I checked with 5 dealers in the GTA area (west) and found that they were all offering about the same thing (MRSP less a $500 'conquest' or 'loyalty' credit and $750 auto show credit - if you went to the auto show). I talked to dealers in Woodstock, Guelph, Mississauga, Cambridge and Milton. The main difference though were the extra fees. I found some included a $500 admin fee plus one even wanted a $250 'road hazard' warranty fee for the tires. What I ended up getting was MRSP less $2500 GM supplier discount less the Ontario $12747 discount. The only extra fees were OMVIC - $10, Admin - $200, Enviro - $29, Fuel -$30 and freight/A/C - $1700 (oddly enough, the freight is not shown on the paperwork, but I am sure that it will be included somehow). Now, all of this is just the purchase agreement (ordered in March, TPW May 30th) and despite that it says it is 'binding', the dealer can get out of this agreement. The dealer I settled on is in Milton. The reason I chose them is because they did all the negotiation via email and did not have all those stupid, un-explainable fees (like road hazard). They were also the only dealer that bothered to ask if my employer was a GM supplier (that got me an additional $2500 discount). As I said, the deal has not been fully consummated yet but I don't expect any difficulties. If you message me directly, I would be happy to give you the name and contact details for the salesman I dealt with.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I want to try this when the Bolt becomes available so I'm very interested to hear the nuts and bolts of it. I assume that you probably had some back and forth in the e-mails with the various dealers before your (initial) decision of which one to go with...?
This blog post outlines the email bomb tactic which I used in order to get the best price (at the time) for a Gen 2. And yes, there will be emails back and forth and it can be a lengthy process.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The dealer I settled on is in Milton. [...] They were also the only dealer that bothered to ask if my employer was a GM supplier (that got me an additional $2500 discount).
Ha! The only one that didn't respond to my e-mails when I did my own mass e-mail tactic. FYI, I got straight out told by GM Canada as well as more than one dealership that the 2016-2017 Volt is NOT eligible for the GM Supplier Discount or Preferred Pricing, so I'm really surprised yours went through.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dealer gave me $1000.00 off MRP, plus I was able to get $1000.00 off because I owned a Buick Terraza (obsolete vehicle promotion). Also had $950.00 on my GM points card. Note for people with GM credit cards, only the new Scotia Bank card is applicable to the Volt. The older credit card (TD?) can not be used on the Volt.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This blog post outlines the email bomb tactic which I used in order to get the best price (at the time) for a Gen 2. And yes, there will be emails back and forth and it can be a lengthy process.
Very nice description of the process, thanks!

I have one question: you say that you need to find out the dealer invoice price, but it doesn't look like you're actually making use of it anywhere, but rather simply going on the best quoted offer. So what's the significance of the invoice price?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ha! The only one that didn't respond to my e-mails when I did my own mass e-mail tactic. FYI, I got straight out told by GM Canada as well as more than one dealership that the 2016-2017 Volt is NOT eligible for the GM Supplier Discount or Preferred Pricing, so I'm really surprised yours went through.
Yeah, the Volt is not eligible for supplier or preferred pricing back when I ordered my 2016. The 2017 is not eligible either. I just checked. Got off the phone with a GM CSR and she confirmed it.

@Benzimidazone: Consider yourself lucky! Just hope that the dealer does not back out because of this error. You might have to renegotiate...

Very nice description of the process, thanks!

I have one question: you say that you need to find out the dealer invoice price, but it doesn't look like you're actually making use of it anywhere, but rather simply going on the best quoted offer. So what's the significance of the invoice price?
I suppose it is used as a base price, a starting point (no dealer profit) for comparison. Obviously a dealer has to make profit somehow so the goal is trying to get as close to the invoice price as possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
re the supplier discount...I have not actually bought the vehicle...only signed an agreement to purchase and paid a down payment. We will see how they try to wiggle out of the 'binding agreement'

1 - 20 of 22 Posts